Question about age (Do you feel EMS has an age limit)

RunnerD1987

Forum Crew Member
Good morning!

Question do you think there is an age limit when to start and retire in the EMS world?

Do you think starting out as a Medic at 35 is too old?

Appreciate the insight and look forward to the discussion.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Use to work with a medic in his 70s.

As long as you can do the job, then this job has no age limit (as evidenced by many older and broken medics who are still working on the truck, but i digress)

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.

chriscemt

Forum Lieutenant
Good morning!

Question do you think there is an age limit when to start and retire in the EMS world?

Do you think starting out as a Medic at 35 is too old?

Appreciate the insight and look forward to the discussion.

There are multiple threads on this, and I'm sure I commented in at least one of those too... I was 40 when I got my EMT, and will be something like 48 when I get my medic. I hope to do this until I'm 60 (65, if my health allows).

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
There are multiple threads on this, and I'm sure I commented in at least one of those too... I was 40 when I got my EMT, and will be something like 48 when I get my medic. I hope to do this until I'm 60 (65, if my health allows).
I'm planning on retiring the second I can take my full pension (52!). That is if we get post retirement health, which is in the works.

OP
OP
R

RunnerD1987

Forum Crew Member
If I can go 20 to 25 year's be great in the EMS world. 15 to 20 of those year's paid.

The can eventually jump into a 2nd job for another 20 year's before fully retiring.

Would be one of my life goals lol.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I've known lots of 70-year-olds who could have become medics. Working in the field regularly is another matter. At some point, the tradeoff between physical challenges and life experience becomes unfavorable.

Old Tracker

Forum Asst. Chief
I will be 70 in a couple of months and working full time doing 48/96 shifts. Didn't start until I was 66. Depends on your health and how stubborn you are about staying busy.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
716F07D4-78CC-437A-A1DE-02C274F1BBE3.jpeg

Phillyrube

Leading Chief
I was 65 when I cashed out in 2017. 40 years worth. Had a few medical I worked with older than me, all excellent. I miss the adrenaline, not the sore joints. Fortunately we have great fire backup so I wasnt hauling bodies down multiple flights of stairs. The experience really helped, knowing all kinds of great shortcuts and ways to splint or move patients.

Only reason I quit was a 90 mile move, otherwise I'd still be out there.

sharpe15

Forum Ride Along
I became a volunteer firefighter at 53 and an EMT at 57. I'm now 58 and enrolled in AEMT school. I'd love to go to paramedic school, but I have a regular job so I can't afford the time.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
If you can do the job, I don’t care if you’re black or white, old or young, male or female, gay straight or whatever they come up with tomorrow. Get to work.

If you can’t do the job, I don’t care if you’re black or white, old or young, male or female, gay straight or whatever they come up with tomorrow. GTFO.