Quake in Japan, Tsunami Warnings in US

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Wow! Check out the buildings swaying back and forth. Talk about damn good engineering

[YOUTUBE]JhJzdtzl6KY[/YOUTUBE]

Japan has had a lot of practice building to withstand earthquakes. The tsunami caused significantly more damage than the actual earthquake did.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Japan's had a lot of practice building to withstand earthquakes. The tsunami caused significantly more damage than the actual earthquake did.

Not to mention Japan is about a million years ahead of us on the technology front.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Very true. That is why it is nearly impossible to compare damages between earthquakes. If you look at the USGS's list of most deadly earthquakes, they are all in less industrialized areas, and many of the highest magnitude earthquakes are left off the list because they happened in areas better prepared to deal with them.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
As a amateur geology aficionado I am signed up for the USGS ENS. This morning I had literally 30 emails in my inbox about the quakes in Japan.

All you Hawaii people be safe! I got a lot of calling to do here. I have friends in Japan, Guam, California, Hawaii..... :-S God be with all you in the affected area.

I was getting those emails for awhile, I unsubscribed after the novelty wore off and I got tired of all the notices. You might want to set the email warnings for mag 6 or higher or you will get tons of quake notices...

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I was getting those emails for awhile, I unsubscribed after the novelty wore off and I got tired of all the notices. You might want to set the email warnings for mag 6 or higher or you will get tons of quake notices...

Yea....I had them set for 5.0. I re set it to 6.0 for the day and 6.5 at night.

JPINFV

Gadfly
The problem with this quake is that the aftershocks for it are going to be in the range for quakes that normally cause a ton of damage.

OP
OP
HotelCo

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Small amount of radiation leaked from the Fukushima nuclear power station.

Anjel

Forum Angel