Quake in Japan, Tsunami Warnings in US

OP
OP
HotelCo

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
A ship carrying 100 people was swept away in the tsunami.

OP
OP
HotelCo

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Navy Ordered USS Dubuque to leave port and head out to sea, in anticipation of the incoming tsunami on the West Coast.

Hockey

Quackers
Weather channel reported the water is receding about 150 feet Kauai and its not low tide. That can't be good

If you're near a TV, turn the Weather Channel on. The water is seriously receding back. Wow

http://hitsunami.info/

Last edited by a moderator:

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
As a amateur geology aficionado I am signed up for the USGS ENS. This morning I had literally 30 emails in my inbox about the quakes in Japan.

All you Hawaii people be safe! I got a lot of calling to do here. I have friends in Japan, Guam, California, Hawaii..... :-S God be with all you in the affected area.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
I sent Firetender a message asking him to check in. I hope he and his family are okay.

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
The whole school is watching and we have some fairly upset kids. Lots of the kids are from military families and were stationed in Japan or Hawaii or have a parent there now.

It's sad for the people there who couldn't get out of the way.

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
Wow, just found out. Hope firetender is OK, and any other emtlifers in the affected areas. The whole situation is in my thoughts and prayers.

lacountylifeguard

Forum Probie
Working/Volunteering for Japan Disaster Relief

Does anyone have any information on EMTs being able to work or volunteer in Japan for disaster relief after the tsunami?

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I'm almost embarrassed!

There was a big tsunami flap here in HI after the Chilean Earthquake a couple months ago. I wrote about it here; PANIC IN PARADISE!

It turned in to a NON-event (a six-foot swell TWO HOURS BEFORE the best predictions!), except through it I learned that even after the Indonesian tsunami we STILL barely have a clue as to how to predict accurately the magnitude of a tsunami headed our way. EXAMPLE: there is only ONE tsunami measuring buoy between HI and Chile. The ones they have along the West Coast are not designed to predict what hits out here (the most remote part of the planet.

I was actually appalled at how little was known and later on found out that even the local news and protection agencies were relying on Twitter to find out what was actually happening! It seems to have been pretty much the same with this one.

So I heard about the Japanese Earthquake and then, somewhere after midnight I heard the tsunami sirens go off. I live what's called "Upcountry" at about the 1,500 foot level, so there was no need to get out of bed. After two or so rounds, a half-hour apart, the bleating stopped and I fell back to sleep.

I am not a cold human being but please remember, I grew up in Brooklyn, almost Ground Zero for nuclear war back in the 60's. Faced with the certainty that human beings were bound and determined to wipe everything off the face of the planet, I adopted the words of my generation's icon, Alfred E. Neumann of Mad Magazine:

"What, me Worry?"

I'm just now looking things over, determining that I won't be entertaining guests, and am very touched that so many of you were concerned for me!

Don't pray for me; it's all for Japan now!

Blessings to y'all, and many Mahalos!

Russ

firetender

Earthquake near one of the volcanos in Hawaii being reported a bit ago now as well.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/

49 days after the last major earthquake in Japan, (1707) Mt. Fuji erupted so this Chapter isn't closed yet.

We get lotsa earthquakes around here (HI), usually small. Our volcanoes are "Shield" volcanoes which means rather than having one major vent (channel through which magma flows) we have many thousands of small vents. Right now, Kilauea is erupting -- a new fissure, but small -- thereby releasing some pressure.

Our biggest danger would be an earthquake or, most likely, a landfall (a chunk of the island falling into the sea) from the Big Island producing a tsunami where we have only a few MINUTES warning.

Natural disasters tend to come from out of nowhere, as the Japan one has, so anticipation of things that "might" be usually doesn't make me lose sleep. I also grew up in Bklyn (nuclear Ground Zero), lived in Florida (hurricanes), moved to California (earthquakes) and watched tornadoes form, destroy and die in South Dakota -- there are few things more terrifying than living in a tipi and hearing the roar of a freight train come over the butte at three a.m.!

Anjel

Forum Angel
Well I'm sure I speak for everyone by saying we are glad you are ok Firetender.

We were all worried. My thoughts and prayers go out to those in Japan, and I hope the worst is over.

firetender

Hockey

Quackers
Here's video from California sped up to show the Tsunami. Really good video

[youtube]ai6pPk0VHDY[/youtube]

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
49 days after the last major earthquake in Japan, (1707) Mt. Fuji erupted so this Chapter isn't closed yet.

We get lotsa earthquakes around here (HI), usually small. Our volcanoes are "Shield" volcanoes which means rather than having one major vent (channel through which magma flows) we have many thousands of small vents. Right now, Kilauea is erupting -- a new fissure, but small -- thereby releasing some pressure.

Our biggest danger would be an earthquake or, most likely, a landfall (a chunk of the island falling into the sea) from the Big Island producing a tsunami where we have only a few MINUTES warning.

Natural disasters tend to come from out of nowhere, as the Japan one has, so anticipation of things that "might" be usually doesn't make me lose sleep. I also grew up in Bklyn (nuclear Ground Zero), lived in Florida (hurricanes), moved to California (earthquakes) and watched tornadoes form, destroy and die in South Dakota -- there are few things more terrifying than living in a tipi and hearing the roar of a freight train come over the butte at three a.m.!

We have to protect our national treasures... You were a paramedic when Jesus was just a first responder! he he.

Hockey

Quackers
Wow! Check out the buildings swaying back and forth. Talk about damn good engineering

[YOUTUBE]JhJzdtzl6KY[/YOUTUBE]

firetender

The SCOPE is incredible!

Miyagi Prefecture has a population of about 2.4 MILLION

Sendai, the city you see being devastated has 1,000,000 people in it

This is the best "as it happened" reel...

(Too lazy to learn how to imbed.)

http://www.buzzfeed.com/gavon/tsunami-in-northern-japan

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief