Pulse Oximeter and EMT-B

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaEMT66

Forum Probie
We have about 120-130 members (+/-)..most of us(me included) are the BLS providers. However, we have many members (30 or more) who are ALS providers.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Are you a BLS or ALS service? At the BLS level, what are you using a Lifepak 12 for?

Some BLS agencies are going to the 12 lead in order to have a strip for ALS to view that is taken earlier in the event. It's not for BLS to diagnose, but more for evidence gathering. Doc in our state is pushing for it for early diagnosis of a STEMI

laina66

Forum Crew Member
In NY state we are allowed to use these--- I use this on almost every patient I get. Especially ETOH...as does most of my crew members.
When dealing with other situations it is still good to have a reading down on the PCR and worry more about this when you get to the ER (unless it's crazy far...) In all honesty, you're probably going to put o2 on the pt anyway so why not?

mikie

Forum Lurker
Some BLS agencies are going to the 12 lead in order to have a strip for ALS to view that is taken earlier in the event. It's not for BLS to diagnose, but more for evidence gathering. Doc in our state is pushing for it for early diagnosis of a STEMI

I believe there is a pilot program in MD starting soon where basics will do 12 lead, not for interpretation though, just to send to the hospital.

sixmaybemore

Forum Crew Member
Remember 'Trust but verify'.

I have a pocket pulse ox. I managed to finagle one from my insurance company ($900). My 3 yo has WPW. He also had RSV when he was a baby, and we had subsequent asthma issues to deal with. I have found that when his numbers are too low (or too high, depending on which side I'm looking at) that the unit, or my knowledge of how to use the unit, is automatically questioned. As a parent, I find that frustrating. I'd like to at least be *believed* that it said what it said (FTR, if the numbers come out off, I recheck using the other hand. If it's for HR I verify with a manual count). Recheck with the unit at the ER, that's fine. But please don't act like I don't know how to use a pulse ox. Sigh.

Lots of good information here. And a good link to read on O2, which I'm gonna go do now....

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Parents are much easier to teach than some EMS students. They have a vested interest to learn. They may also get many more hours of training by many different medical professionals with various areas of expertise. We do try to respect what our parents tell us from their observations especially if we know the parents and child have spent a great deal of time in the hospital. Usually all they have to do is mention the disorder or disease history and we will have some idea of what their lives have consisted of.

For those who are not familiar with RSV:
(registration is free and the on demand courses are interesting)

https://www.rsvuniversity.org/

thatrescueguy

Forum Ride Along
Here in NY we are allowed to use them, but I don't recall it being covered in EMT class. We also have Rad 57's for CO alarms and FF rehab. (They also have a pulse ox function.) I find them useful and highly accurate. They are especially helpful when you are treating more than one patient, because it frees up your hands to do something else, like a BP.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
Last edited by a moderator:

MAEMT

Forum Ride Along
We are allowed to use them @ all levels in Massachusetts. However they are to be used as a tool only. If Carbon Monoxcide is suspected we have another "tool" the rad 57 to detect carbon monoxcide levels. this especially comes in handy on fire scenes to detect levels in our department firefighters. Both devices are to be used by EMT's @ all levels as strictly a tool and nothing more. It basically is used to get somewhat of a baseline of where our patient is at.

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah they are good tools. A good blood oxygen level doesn't mean they are getting good perfusion. That is why it is good to do all of your assessment.

dcap-btls

Forum Ride Along
I originally took my class in 2001 I have since spent 6 years in the Marine Corps so my certification has expired but I do specifically remember we used Pulse ox in my class. But I will be heading back to the class room next month so I will let you know.

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
who cares just use it. I have a nice finger pulse ox i use on every call i just keep it in a pouch on my belt. CNAs are so far below us all they do is clean old peoples butts. they seriously pi$$ me off to no end. they dont talk english and think they are better than they are. they are the bottom of the barrel my friend they should never ever ever have anything medically related in their hands. This also goes for nursing home nurses. they only work there cause they couldnt get a real job. at least thats how it is here. i vote use the pulse ox. i cant wait to do et tubes, ivs, meds, cpap, ect....very very soon !

jrm818

Forum Captain
Note to self: never get sick in NJ...if the CNA's don't get you, the EMT's will...

somebody pass the popcorn...

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
who cares just use it. I have a nice finger pulse ox i use on every call i just keep it in a pouch on my belt. CNAs are so far below us all they do is clean old peoples butts. they seriously pi$$ me off to no end. they dont talk english and think they are better than they are. they are the bottom of the barrel my friend they should never ever ever have anything medically related in their hands. This also goes for nursing home nurses. they only work there cause they couldnt get a real job. at least thats how it is here. i vote use the pulse ox. i cant wait to do et tubes, ivs, meds, cpap, ect....very very soon !

I am assure your just joking. If not God help us and your patients because...

[size=+4]You obviously know nothing about medicine, nursing nor EMS![/size]

Just a note to say thanks for spouting off ignorance! Obviously, in your vast knowledge and training of a whopping first-aid class you know so much, right?

C'mon, all you can do is slap on a band-aid and drive r-e-a-l fast!..

I will conclude this.. at least nurses aides and even nursing home nurses are educated enough to recognize their limitations and place in medicine. Something that EMT"s could learn from them.

p.s. English should be capitalized..since you wanted to point out ignorance.

Last edited by a moderator:

NRCCEMTP26

Forum Probie
The only thing a portable O2sat meter is a good stretcher wheel chauk. treat the problem not the equipment. remember back you your basic skills, the time you have the pt a little O2 will not kill the pt. when in doubt O2 out

JonTullos

Forum Captain

This has to be the most ignorant statement I've ever read. Please tell me that you were just having a really bad day and that you just typed the first bit if stupidity that came to your brain.

I hope I never work on a squad with someone who thinks like this.

stephenrb81

Forum Lieutenant
CNAs are so far below us all they do is clean old peoples butts. they seriously pi$$ me off to no end. they dont talk english and think they are better than they are. they are the bottom of the barrel my friend they should never ever ever have anything medically related in their hands. This also goes for nursing home nurses. they only work there cause they couldnt get a real job. at least thats how it is here. i vote use the pulse ox. i cant wait to do et tubes, ivs, meds, cpap, ect....very very soon !

The only thought I can come up with is *WOW*. Just WOW.

"they dont talk english" I believe the phrase you meant "They don't speak english very well". Must be a regional thing, The CNA's in my area speak very well.

And the last I checked, a CNA/LPN/RN in a nursing home receives monetary compensation for their time and skills which would qualify as a "Real Job"

Again, WOW... Is there a "Most Useless Possible Post" contest that I'm not aware of?

Status
Not open for further replies.