Products in your trucks

seshan

Forum Crew Member
I got a few questions on the products in your vehicles:

1) do you use click style oxygen gas regulators?
2) does your truck have suction on board? If so what kind?

Please let me know what you prefer, what you like, what you dislike...

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Yes we use click style regulators. We use the a dirt devil vacuum for suction on my rig...no we use the Repro-med Res-Q-Vac, I like it but really have nothing to compare it to.

wlamoreemtb

Forum Crew Member
we use the click style regulators and as for suction med-pro

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
I'm going to sound like Rid here:
"If your ambulance DOESN'T have Suction on it, you shouldn't be using it. If you think you don't need suction... you should go drive a taxi".

Any ambulance MUST have suction... it is needed to be able to properly manage an airway at both the BLS and ALS levels.

In PA... there are requirements for both onboard and portable suction units.

Seshan - are you asking about the onboard regulator or the portable regulator?

I think the adjustable flowmeters are more accurate and allow for easy observation of any problems... however they are gravity-dependent and therefore don't work well on portables :)

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
I am not sure what you mean by "click-style" oxygen regulators. We use mediflows with built in regulators and bull-nose adapters on the main lines.

Laerdal suction units... not bad. Also prefer the mediflow rather than the pin-index.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm going to sound like Rid here:
"If your ambulance DOESN'T have Suction on it, you shouldn't be using it. If you think you don't need suction... you should go drive a taxi".

Any ambulance MUST have suction... it is needed to be able to properly manage an airway at both the BLS and ALS levels.

In PA... there are requirements for both onboard and portable suction units.

:)

It's part of our state licensure as an ambulance or rescue unit to have both portable and onboard suctions. We also have a manual suction in the airway kit but I hate 'em.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
All EMS units have to have suction (portable & mounted) to meet Star of Life Certification and formerly KKK spec's.

The American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AOS) yeah, the same ones that publishes an EMT text, made a list of essential equipment back in 1973. Most of the States have adopted and added to that list.

I as well am not sure what a "click" style regulator is? Are you discussing the plug in type or the threaded bottle type?

If you see a portable suction unit or on-board suction unit that appears to have never been used, then either :

A. It better be a new truck
B. Better be a new suction unit

If not above, I would worry ... and decide not to work for them...

R/r 911

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
C. - It is a BLS transport truck.

But I guess the clause about "thinking about working somewhere else" still applies :)

OP
OP
S

seshan

Forum Crew Member
So do all state liscence require portable suction?

If so at what point do you obtain portable suction? Do you buy it with the vehicle? or do you buy it seperatly from the vehicle?

All EMS units have to have suction (portable & mounted) to meet Star of Life Certification and formerly KKK spec's.

The American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AOS) yeah, the same ones that publishes an EMT text, made a list of essential equipment back in 1973. Most of the States have adopted and added to that list.

I as well am not sure what a "click" style regulator is? Are you discussing the plug in type or the threaded bottle type?

If you see a portable suction unit or on-board suction unit that appears to have never been used, then either :

A. It better be a new truck
B. Better be a new suction unit

If not above, I would worry ... and decide not to work for them...

R/r 911

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
So do all state liscence require portable suction?

If so at what point do you obtain portable suction? Do you buy it with the vehicle? or do you buy it seperatly from the vehicle?

A portable suction is a piece of equipment separate from the rig. Any medical supplier will have an assortment of them to choose from.

OP
OP
S

seshan

Forum Crew Member
BC- who usually buys these portable regulators for your trucks? Is there a purchasing department for each ambulance dept?

A portable suction is a piece of equipment separate from the rig. Any medical supplier will have an assortment of them to choose from.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
there is usually someone from each company/dept/agency that is in charge of supply.

i havent the foggiest idea what other states requirements for an ambulance. if i or anybody tried to commit that to memory their brain would explode.

is there an issue at the heart of this thread? like "i dont think my service is in compliance" or "i want to start and ambulance service, what do i need" etc/././. if you give us something like that, maybe we can help point you in the right direction but with the sort of vague non directed questions so far, nothing is getting accomplished.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I agree this post leaves to question of what is the point?

When one usually purchases a ambulance, you have specs or requirements upon on how much you want to purchase from them. There is a minimal amount they will sell you unless you again spec that it is a specialty item. As I stated, all EMS units have to meet some National Standards. Such as oxygen lines, electrical functioning, cot room between bench and the stretcher, safety items, etc. Otherwise anyone could "make" anything into an ambulance. This is why there is standards per National and each State has certain requirements to meet their certification to be authorized.

I do not know of any state that does not require on-board and portable suction units. As well as on board oxygen with multiple outlets & even portable oxygen units. There are several respectable portable suction units that are powered or hand powered. Such units as Laredal and those that are mentioned, can be purchased with the ambulance, but most find it is much cheaper to purchase separately.

One can look at EMS & medical supply dealer to purchase any of those devices. But be aware, they are not cheap.

In regards to whom purchases such devices, it depends upon the company. Either a designated person or division, committee or maybe the administrator themselves. Most will refer to the State's or local requirements and order accordingly or remove from retiring unit after placing that unit out of service. Again, it depends upon the EMS service itself.

Not to be rude, but if you are not aware of whom & type, then you should probably not be the one to order or make such decisions.

R/r 911

Ops Paramedic

Forum Captain
Do you not rather mean click dail, than click style type of regulator?? As mentioned by paramedix, we use mediflows that have a built in regulator, with a click dail to select the flow rate you want. Lots of advantages to this type of cylinder, however you cant connect the vent to it, bummer!!

We carry one of two three different types battery charged portable suction units. The one is Leardal as mentioned, and the other two is Erie and Ipmact. My choice, the Impact. We also carry the Resqu Vac which is a hand held (Non battery, in the shape of a small firearm) to act as a backup, should the electrically powered one fail!!

OP
OP
S

seshan

Forum Crew Member
Ridryder,

Thank you for the info which seems to be mixed with some cold comments.

I am not an EMT/EMS. I am someone who works in a company that manufactures products for ambulances and was looking to the EMTLife forum family for some direction.

I have a portable suction unit but I havent been able to find out who is responsible for purchasing these. All the truck manufacturers seem to be not buying these units, which made me to wonder who is responsible for that decision as it seems to be a requirement.

I agree this post leaves to question of what is the point?

When one usually purchases a ambulance, you have specs or requirements upon on how much you want to purchase from them. There is a minimal amount they will sell you unless you again spec that it is a specialty item. As I stated, all EMS units have to meet some National Standards. Such as oxygen lines, electrical functioning, cot room between bench and the stretcher, safety items, etc. Otherwise anyone could "make" anything into an ambulance. This is why there is standards per National and each State has certain requirements to meet their certification to be authorized.

I do not know of any state that does not require on-board and portable suction units. As well as on board oxygen with multiple outlets & even portable oxygen units. There are several respectable portable suction units that are powered or hand powered. Such units as Laredal and those that are mentioned, can be purchased with the ambulance, but most find it is much cheaper to purchase separately.

One can look at EMS & medical supply dealer to purchase any of those devices. But be aware, they are not cheap.

In regards to whom purchases such devices, it depends upon the company. Either a designated person or division, committee or maybe the administrator themselves. Most will refer to the State's or local requirements and order accordingly or remove from retiring unit after placing that unit out of service. Again, it depends upon the EMS service itself.

Not to be rude, but if you are not aware of whom & type, then you should probably not be the one to order or make such decisions.

R/r 911

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
YAY! we finally have a direction to take this conversation in...

now, as to why people aren't buying your suction unit. this could be one of many reasons. the biggest being, your probably not in the club. there are a few companies that have built a name for themselves, to the point that everybody else is looked upon with disdain. it may not be fair, but neither is life.

another reason you may not be having success is exposure. people cant buy your product if they dont know it exists. and they wont buy it if it hasnt been studied and given the nod by the community.

the next reason you might not be moving units is the hardest one to be objective about. maybe your product is crap. if the unit is too big, too heavy, doesnt draw the appropriate level of auction, the battery doesnt last long enough, is difficult to clean, or any of a hundred other reasons, it wont be purchased.

OP
OP
S

seshan

Forum Crew Member
KevD,

Thanks for the direction. Good news is that I work for the leader in suction, Ohio Medical. I am sure you all have heard of us.

We actually have a new portable vacuum designed for EMS. I just need to find some ways to penetrate the market that is dominated bt SSCORT, Rico Suction and the others you have all mentioned.

YAY! we finally have a direction to take this conversation in...

now, as to why people aren't buying your suction unit. this could be one of many reasons. the biggest being, your probably not in the club. there are a few companies that have built a name for themselves, to the point that everybody else is looked upon with disdain. it may not be fair, but neither is life.

another reason you may not be having success is exposure. people cant buy your product if they dont know it exists. and they wont buy it if it hasnt been studied and given the nod by the community.

the next reason you might not be moving units is the hardest one to be objective about. maybe your product is crap. if the unit is too big, too heavy, doesnt draw the appropriate level of auction, the battery doesnt last long enough, is difficult to clean, or any of a hundred other reasons, it wont be purchased.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
KevD,

Thanks for the direction. Good news is that I work for the leader in suction, Ohio Medical. I am sure you all have heard of us.

We actually have a new portable vacuum designed for EMS. I just need to find some ways to penetrate the market that is dominated bt SSCORT, Rico Suction and the others you have all mentioned.

Ohio medical makes great products, or used to. The problem is you need to do some comparison on pricing as well as better marketing. In hospital setting, you guys are the king but in EMS you kinda dropped the ball.

Glad to see that you are looking at EMS as another revenue. EMS is another area that has not been tapped into, and really is not hard if your engineers will listen to the "street medics" for ideas and suggestions.

Sorry, if I came off rude; we have quite of few web trolls EMT wanna be's that attempt to sell products on e-Bay and do not know anything about them. So you can see the hesitation.

Good luck with your product line, do some field testing and comparisons. If they work ou8t fine, word of mouth happens fast, and people will spec and ask by name.

R/r 911

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
First off, you should get people to see your suction unit. Almost all the changes we make in equipment, upgrades, replacement with a different brand etc is because we saw one at a conference somewhere and thought it was pretty slick. Being able to put our hands on it, touch it, play with it along with hearing why its better than the one we used to have and why makes all the difference. Otherwise, we just call up the sales rep we deal wth all the time and ask for a new one just like the old one.

OP
OP
S

seshan

Forum Crew Member
Ridryder,

I am a one man team here and am doing all i can to introduce our products to the EMS industry. The more i talk to manufacturers, the more i understand that all the demand for products come through EMS professionals. Is there maybe a magazine/network that i might be able to use to get the word out?

In hospital setting, you guys are the king but in EMS you kinda dropped the ball.

Glad to see that you are looking at EMS as another revenue. EMS is another area that has not been tapped into, and really is not hard if your engineers will listen to the "street medics" for ideas and suggestions.

R/r 911