Prisoner escapes from ambulance

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Weird. Any time we transport a prisoner, one corrections/sheriff's officer is in the ambulance, and another is following behind in a marker patrol car. I'm kinda curious as to where his chase car was. or if the crew that broke the guy out incapacitated him too.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Weird. Any time we transport a prisoner, one corrections/sheriff's officer is in the ambulance, and another is following behind in a marker patrol car. I'm kinda curious as to where his chase car was. or if the crew that broke the guy out incapacitated him too.

+1

and why was the Prisoner cuffed to the Officer?

usually when we transport the patient is either cuffed to the gurney or has his hands cuffed together, there is always a Sheriff or LEO with us in the back and another following us in a Marked Squad car....

and the Officers here have guns, unlike you silly English who dont believe in guns :)

JPINFV

Gadfly
If a bunch of masked men get out of a car and try to stop my ambulance, someone's getting run over.

MonkeySquasher

Forum Lieutenant
Slightly off-topic.. Anyone here ever worry about asphyxiation from someone cuffed behind their back, and/or face down on the gurney?

Personally, I don't transport anyone who is face down or cuffed behind their back, and I request both their hands be cuffed to the frame of the cot (NOT the flimsy handrail!) and I also prefer the officer NOT have his firearm... Within my rig they're more likely to shoot me, my driving partner, or have the weapon taken away. A taser or baton is a better bet. I mean, how is he going to get out, when both his hands are cuffed to the frame??

JPINFV

Gadfly
In general, everything I've seen has said that being restrained face down is a no-no due to positional asphyxia. Considering that, unlike police cars, we don't have the plastic molds that have space in the back for the arms and hands, that cuffing behind a patients back is also not really appropriate.

As far as "how are they going to get out," I guess having a team of people with bolt cutters is a good start. A taser or baton is not going to stop that where a fire arm at least has a chance.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
If a bunch of masked men get out of a car and try to stop my ambulance, someone's getting run over.

This is one of the best posts I have ever read on this forum. I agree 110%. I dare someone to try and stop me like that.:ph34r: