Preventing VAP in your patients?

KingCountyMedic

Forum Lieutenant
We are starting to look hard at our rates of VAP in our patients, both pre hospital intubations and in house. Currently the rates of pneumonia are fairly even if you compare hospital to pre hospital. We are probably going to do a study where we prep the mouth with Chlorhexidine prior to RSI. Anyone else doing anything? We have to fill out an airway form on every patient we intubate otherwise we do not get credit for the tube. Much of the form is answering questions about aspiration risks. Was there a risk? Blood or emesis or both? Confirmed in the tube? etc. etc. As you would imagine patients that get extensive BVM use prior to ETT are more prone to aspiration and developing VAP.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Interesting idea. We also complete an extensive airway form on each intubation and while I know VAP is an issue, I haven't heard any connection with field tubes vs ED tubes.

Of course, you guys intubate more CHF/COPD patients than we do, patients that stay on a vent. For us, CPAP has made most of those tubes vanish.

I'd be curious to see if there's any correlation.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Have you come across any evidence that cleaning the mouth prior to intubation reduces the risk of VAP? I've never even heard of the practice.

A few years ago I was involved in a research project in the SICU that I was working in at the time. We saw a big reduction in VAP rates by instituting certain nursing and RT practices. We know that VAP is a multi-factorial process with well-defined risk factors, and IIRC, VAP is uncommon in patients who are intubated for less than 48 hours. Given those things, I would be inclined to think that VAP has little or nothing to do with the intubation itself. (that is as long as you don't drop the ETT on the ground, step on it, pick it up, shake off the small rocks and pieces of grass that are stuck to it, and intubate with it.....as I saw done on a youtube video a while ago)

It's an interesting thought and probably a good idea for a study, but I think it sounds like a study that would much more appropriately be done in the hospital than the streets.

Quite frankly, I think during a pre-hospital RSI you have much more pressing things to worry about than VAP.

Dwindlin

Forum Captain
Quite frankly, I think during a pre-hospital RSI you have much more pressing things to worry about than VAP.

This was my first though reading this. If you have time to muck around with cleaning the mouth with clorhexidine does the patient really need tubed? Or can you just get them to the ED. . .

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

If you're causing or failing to prevent VAP, and ensuring longer ICU stays and poorer outcomes, I think prevention would be something you'd want to look in to.

I don't think adequate preparation for a procedure is something to shortcut to try and save time. An intubation or RSI doesn't need to be "Oh my god drop the tube quick!!!". Have you ever seen an EMP cut into the pleural space and shove an ET tube in because the patient had a hemothorax and needed a chest tube ASAP? No. They prep the site, assemble their equipment, and perform the procedure in a way that isn't going to provide future, unneeded harm to the patient. Emergent =/= shortcuts and sacrifices.

I'd be interested to see the results of this study.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief

Do you wipe down a persons arm before an IV or say screw it because you wanna save the few seconds?

This attitude I think is a problem, we don't think enough about how our treatments affect a persons outcome after we drop em off at the ER. It's the classic "Yes it's a save because we got pulses! After working a code for an hour. Oh the patients a vegetable? Doesn't matter we got pulses." I think cleaning the mouth before putting down an ET tube could definitely apply to prehospital, you know if it actually turns out to do something and shorten length of stay.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Have you ever seen an EMP cut into the pleural space and shove an ET tube in because the patient had a hemothorax and needed a chest tube ASAP?

Actually, this or even the "finger thoracostomy" are not terribly uncommon where physicians are utilized in the prehospital environment.

I'm actually inclined to agree with old school on this one. While we don't need to use the ETT to scoop vomit out of the mouth, the fact is the ICU should probably be replacing the tube within 48 hours anyway. VAP is a lot more about nonsocomial stuff floating around the ICU than anything they're exposed to in the field. If it's already in the mouth than it's got a conduit to the lungs anyway right?

Prehospital RSI SHOULD be a last resort. Proper prep is vital but in most cases I want to get the airway taken care of and move on to working on the underlying cause (which may very well be getting to the hospital...I don't do tubes underway if I can avoid it).

Interested to see the result, gut feeling it won't show a CLINICALLY significant reduction.

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
Interesting topic which I think there is alot of research being done especially with all the new developments in ETTs and adjuncts to assist intubation. Companies don't put that much money into R&D of ETTs nor do hospitals pay for expensive tubes unless there is a good reason. VAP is serious and CMS will not reimburse so all precautions must be taken to prevent it.

The act of intubation itself is also part of the many factors concerning VAP. That should include being properly prepared with the right equipment including suction and the proper skill level including use of BVM. If you don't care about how well you do the act of intubation you probably don't care if the patient dies later from complications associated with it as long as they live long enough to be considered an EMS save.

Prehospital tubes are cheap and lack the appropriate cuff design. The cuff itself will often develop a leak after a day or two requiring the cuff to be changed. They also lack the ability to perform suctioning above the cuff. They also are not silver lined which some hospitals like. So alot of prehospital tubes will have to be changed if the patient is going to be intubated for more than a day or two.

Most EDs now stock the better ETTs.

Aspiration is a big risk and I think there was a large variation in protocols for the use of an OG/NG tube. NG tubes are also out of favor because of VAP. The same goes for NTI.

I think I read someplace where Paramedics use the patient's blood or some other questionable things instead of lubricant for lube. Causing tissue damage and bleeding without using lube is not good either and aspiration of blood can cause serious infections.

Prehospital CPAP can also be controversial because of inappropriate use and failure to clear the airway before application. Patients may need to be intubated at the hospital not because of the initial complaint but because of aspiration. Usually these situations occur when suction is often forgotten and not ready.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I'm actually inclined to agree with old school on this one.

I think this is very reasonable.

VAP is a lot more about nonsocomial stuff floating around the ICU than anything they're exposed to in the field. If it's already in the mouth than it's got a conduit to the lungs anyway right?

Sort of.

I agree with the nosocomial stuff, particularly the really resistant things that a simple ab regiment will not take care of.

However, I would just like to add that an ET does bypass the physiologic defense mechanisms and being plastic, is a conduit for infection.

I think that issue with VAP isn't an acute introduction of bacteria so much as it is a migration by one method or another in a patient population that generally doesn't complain verbally and many clinical signs of infection are late signs.

Interested to see the result, gut feeling it won't show a CLINICALLY significant reduction.

I would be more interested in seeing the culture results for the VAP population and how long they were in the ICU before infection was Dx.

I think that would be more telling of the source.

OP
OP
K

KingCountyMedic

Forum Lieutenant
It's something being looked at here, very early stages but we are always looking at improving what we do in the field and hospital. Our work in the field is very much intertwined with our main hospital (Harborview Medical Center)

Currently the intubated patient at the hospital does get their mouth cleaned on a regular basis by an RT in an attempt to cut down on VAP and other problems and they have seen some success so the thinking is what can we do better, prior to intubation? Early study using airway manikins and Paramedic Students and Residents is showing that full mouth prep with Chlorhexidine can be done very quickly prior passing the tube. Of course if you go that far what about the tube? What about the blade? It'd something I never really gave much though until we had a lecture from one of our Docs the other day. I try to keep my tube and gear clean as much as the next guy. It sounds as if a lot of the "bugs" found in the lung of a VAP patient are common in the mouth. Again this is totally new stuff for us to hear about here where I work, just wondered if anyone else is doing anything to clean prior to putting in the tube? I think VAP is seen more in blunt trauma cases, I could be wrong though. A lot of this is way above my pay grade :)

Veneficus

Forum Chief
It's something being looked at here, very early stages but we are always looking at improving what we do in the field and hospital. Our work in the field is very much intertwined with our main hospital (Harborview Medical Center)

Currently the intubated patient at the hospital does get their mouth cleaned on a regular basis by an RT in an attempt to cut down on VAP and other problems and they have seen some success so the thinking is what can we do better, prior to intubation? Early study using airway manikins and Paramedic Students and Residents is showing that full mouth prep with Chlorhexidine can be done very quickly prior passing the tube. Of course if you go that far what about the tube? What about the blade? It'd something I never really gave much though until we had a lecture from one of our Docs the other day. I try to keep my tube and gear clean as much as the next guy. It sounds as if a lot of the "bugs" found in the lung of a VAP patient are common in the mouth. Again this is totally new stuff for us to hear about here where I work, just wondered if anyone else is doing anything to clean prior to putting in the tube? I think VAP is seen more in blunt trauma cases, I could be wrong though. A lot of this is way above my pay grade :)

I think if the study is done well, even if outcomes are not affected, a lot of good information can be had.

Dwindlin

Forum Captain

I actually think you may see a benefit based on the work already done with daily clorhexidine baths.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19751155
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19712033
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22527065

Having said that, my feelings above still hold true, if you think you have sufficient time to properly cleanse the mouth, maybe you should re-think that tube. . .

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I actually think you may see a benefit based on the work already done with daily clorhexidine baths.

Having said that, my feelings above still hold true, if you think you have sufficient time to properly cleanse the mouth, maybe you should re-think that tube. . .

I have read a lot of studies today, could you just tell me if any of these compared a cloro bath with brushing the pts teeth?

OP
OP
K

KingCountyMedic

Forum Lieutenant

Not at all. A little extra time prior to passing a tube is not a big deal, especially if it can improve the outcome in the patient. Obviously if you have a patient dead or dying, with blood or emesis present it's a different story. If you are taking the time to use some versed and etomidate prior to using anectine on an elective intubation you should have plenty of time to pass a swab around the mouth.

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
There are mountains of studies already done and some do include where the intubation is done which includes the ED and prehospital. Below is just a small sampling of what is known about VAP. This data is referenced on the CDC and IHI websites.

This is of particular interest.
Staphylococcus aureus are responsible for 26–35% of VAP in ED and inpatient intubated trauma patients, but account for only 0–13% of VAP in trauma patients intubated in the field.

The source is:
12.Eckert MJ, Davis KA, Reed RL, et al. Ventilator-associated pneumonia, like real estate: location really matters. J Trauma 2006;60: 104–10.

Some of the other studies demonstrate the types of ETT and intubation skill. Any time an inferior ETT must be changed, risks are involved. Other factors will include where the tube is changed. Usually the ED is more questionable than in the ICU. The same will go for central lines placed by ED physicians.

Rivers EP, Coba V, Whitmill M. Early goal-directed therapy in severe sepsis and septic shock: a contemporary review of the literature. Curr Opin Anaesthesiol 2008;21:128–40.

Kollef MH. The prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia. N Engl J Med 1999;340:627–34.

Meduri GU. Diagnosis of ventilator-associated pneumonia. Infect Dis Clin North Am 1993;7:295–329.

Bradley VM. Placing emergency department crowding on the decision agenda. Nurs Econ 2005;23:14–24, 3.

Richards MJ, Edwards JR, Culver DH, Gaynes RP. Nosocomial infections in medical intensive care units in the United States. National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance System. Crit Care Med 1999;27:887–92.

Vincent JL, Bihari DJ, Suter PM, et al. The prevalence of nosocomial infection in intensive care units in Europe. Results of the European Prevalence of Infection in Intensive Care (EPIC) Study. EPIC International Advisory Committee. JAMA 1995;274: 639–44.

Safdar N, Dezfulian C, Collard HR, Saint S. Clinical and economic consequences of ventilator-associated pneumonia: a systematic review. Crit Care Med 2005;33:2184–93.

Rello J, Ollendorf DA, Oster G, et al. Epidemiology and outcomes of ventilator-associated pneumonia in a large US database. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2002;122:2115–21.

Nseir S, Ader F, Marquette CH. Nosocomial tracheobronchitis. Curr Opin Infect Dis 2009;22:148–53.

Chastre J, Fagon JY. Ventilator-associated pneumonia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2002;165:867–903.

Kollef MH, Silver P, Murphy DM, Trovillion E. The effect of lateonset ventilator-associated pneumonia in determining patient mortality. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1995;108:1655–62.

Eckert MJ, Davis KA, Reed RL, et al. Ventilator-associated pneumonia, like real estate: location really matters. J Trauma 2006;60: 104–10.

National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance System. National Nosocomial Infections Surveillance (NNIS) System Report, data summary from January 1992 through June 2004, issued October 2004. Am J Infect Control 2004;32:470–85.

Diaz E, Rodriguez AH, Rello J. Ventilator-associated pneumonia: issues related to the artificial airway. Respir Care 2005;50:900–6.

Kallel H, Chelly H, Bahloul M, et al. The effect of ventilatorassociated pneumonia on the prognosis of head trauma patients. J Trauma 2005;59:705–10.

Cavalcanti M, Ferrer M, Ferrer R, Morforte R, Garnacho A, Torres A. Risk and prognostic factors of ventilator-associated pneumonia in trauma patients. Crit Care Med 2006;34:1067–72.

Eckert MJ, Davis KA, Reed RL, et al. Urgent airways after trauma: who gets pneumonia? J Trauma 2004;57:750–5.

Carr BG, Kaye AJ, Wiebe DJ, Gracias VH, Schwab CW, Reilly PM. Emergency department length of stay: a major risk factor for pneumonia in intubated blunt trauma patients. J Trauma 2007;63:9–12.

Garrouste OM, Chevret S, Arlet G, et al. Oropharyngeal or gastric colonization and nosocomial pneumonia in adult intensive care unit patients. A prospective study based on genomic DNA analysis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1997;156:1647–55.

Bonten MJ, Bergmans DC, Ambergen AW, et al. Risk factors for pneumonia, and colonization of respiratory tract and stomach in mechanically ventilated ICU patients. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1996;154:1339–46.

Cardenosa Cendrero JA, Sole-Violan J, Bordes BA, et al. Role of different routes of tracheal colonization in the development of pneumonia in patients receiving mechanical ventilation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1999;116:462–70.

Ewig S, Torres A, el-Ebiary M, et al. Bacterial colonization patterns in mechanically ventilated patients with traumatic and medical head injury. Incidence, risk factors, and association with ventilator-associated pneumonia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1999;159:188–98.

Garcia R. A review of the possible role of oral and dental colonization on the occurrence of health care-associated pneumonia: underappreciated risk and a call for interventions. Am J Infect Control 2005;33:527–41.

El-Solh AA, Pietrantoni C, Bhat A, et al. Colonization of dental plaques: a reservoir of respiratory pathogens for hospitalacquired pneumonia in institutionalized elders. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2004;126:1575–82.

Fourrier F, Duvivier B, Boutigny H, Rourrel-DelvallezM,ChopinC. Colonization of dental plaque: a source of nosocomial infections in intensive care unit patients. Crit Care Med 1998;26:301–8.

Fourrier F, Cau-Pottier E, Boutigny H, Roussel-Delvallez M, Jourdain M, Chopin C. Effects of dental plaque antiseptic decontamination on bacterial colonization and nosocomial infections in critically ill patients. Intensive Care Med 2000;26:1239–47.

Munro CL, Grap MJ, Elswick RK Jr., McKinney J, Sessler CN, Hummel RS III Oral health status and development of ventilator-associated pneumonia: a descriptive study. Am J Crit Care 2006;15:453–60.

Konrad F, Schreiber T, Brecht-Kraus D, Georgieff M. Mucociliary transport in ICU patients. Chest 1994;105:237–41.

Levine SA, Niederman MS. The impact of tracheal intubation on host defenses and risks for nosocomial pneumonia. Clin Chest Med 1991;12:523–43.

Adair CG, Gorman SP, Feron BM, et al. Implications of endotracheal tube biofilm for ventilator-associated pneumonia. Intensive Care Med 1999;25:1072–6.

Inglis TJ, Millar MR, Jones JG, Robinson DA. Tracheal tube biofilm as a source of bacterial colonization of the lung. J Clin Microbiol 1989;27:2014–8.

Berra L, De ML, Yu ZX, Laquerriere P, Baccarelli A, Kolobow T. Endotracheal tubes coated with antiseptics decrease bacterial colonization of the ventilator circuits, lungs, and endotracheal tube. Anesthesiology 2004;100:1446–56.

Greene R, Thompson S, Jantsch HS, et al. Detection of pooled secretions above endotracheal-tube cuffs: value of plain radiographs in sheep cadavers and patients.AJRAmJ Roentgenol 1994;163:1333–7.

O'Neal PV, Grap MJ, Munro C, Minick P, Sessler C. Factors associated with subglottic secretion accumulation and removal among mechanically ventilated adults. Am J Crit Care 2002;11:290.

Young PJ, Rollinson M, Downward H, Henderson S. Leakage of fluid past the tracheal tube cuff in a benchtop model. Br J Anaesth 1997;78:557–62.

Tablan OC, Anderson LJ, Arden NH, Breiman RF, Butler JC, McNeil MM. Guideline for prevention of nosocomial pneumonia. The Hospital Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee. Am J Infection Control 1994;22:247–92.

Muscedere J, Dodek P, Keenan S, Fowler R, Cook D, Heyland D. Comprehensive evidence-based clinical practice guidelines for ventilator-associated pneumonia: prevention. J Crit Care 2008; 23:126–37.

Alexiou VG, Ierodiakonou V, Dimopoulos G, Falagas ME. Impact of patient position on the incidence of ventilator-associated pneumonia: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. J Crit Care 2009;24:515–22.

Kollef MH. Ventilator-associated pneumonia. A multivariate analysis. JAMA 1993;270:1965–70.

Craven DE, Kunches LM, Kilinsky V, Lichtenberg DA, Make BJ, McCabe WR. Risk factors for pneumonia and fatality in patients receiving continuous mechanical ventilation. Am Rev Respir Dis 1986;133:792–6.

Torres A, Serra-Batlles J, Ros E, et al. Pulmonary aspiration of gastric contents in patients receiving mechanical ventilation: the effect of body position. Ann Intern Med 1992;116:540–3.

Orozco-Levi M, Torres A, Ferrer M, et al. Semirecumbent position protects from pulmonary aspiration but not completely from gastroesophageal reflux in mechanically ventilated patients. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1995;152:1387–90.

Metheny NA, Clouse RE, Chang YH, Stewart BJ, Oliver DA, Kollef MH. Tracheobronchial aspiration of gastric contents in critically ill tube-fed patients: frequency, outcomes, and risk factors. Crit Care Med 2006;34:1007–15.

Drakulovic MB, Torres A, Bauer TT, Nicolas JM, Nogue S, Ferrer M. Supine body position as a risk factor for nosocomial pneumonia in mechanically venitlated patients: a randomised trial. Lancet 1999;354:1851–8.

Cook DJ, Reeve BK, Scholes LC. Histamine-2-receptor antagonists and antacids in the critically ill population: stress ulceration versus nosocomial pneumonia. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1994;15:437–42.

Daschner F, Kappstein I, Engels I, et al. Stress ulcer prophylaxis and ventilation pneumonia: prevention by antibacterial cytoprotective agents? Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 1988;9:59–65.

Donowitz LG, Page MC, Mileur BL, Guenthner SH. Alteration of normal gastric flora in critical care patients receiving antacid and cimetidine therapy. Infect Control 1986;7:23–6.

Cook DJ, Reeve BK, Guyatt GH, et al. Stress ulcer prophylaxis in critically ill patients. Resolving discordant meta-analyses. JAMA 1996;275:308–14.

Collard HR, Saint S, Matthay MA. Prevention of ventilatorassociated pneumonia: an evidence-based systematic review. Ann Intern Med 2003;138:494–501.

Kallet RH, Quinn TE. The gastrointestinal tract and ventilatorassociated pneumonia. Respir Care 2005;50:910–21.

Mallow S, Rebuck JA, Osler T, et al. Do proton pump inhibitors increase the incidence of nosocomial pneumonia and related infectious complications when compared with histamine-2 receptor antagonists in critically ill trauma patients? Curr Surg 2004; 61(5):452–8.

Kantorova I, Svoboda P, Scheer P, et al. Stress ulcer prophylaxis in critically ill patients: a randomized controlled trial. Hepatogastroenterology 2004;51(57):757–61.

Herzig SJ, Howell MD, Ngo LH, Marcantonio ER. Acid-suppressive medication use and the risk for hospital-acquired pneumonia. JAMA 2009;301:2120–8.

DeRiso AJ, Ladowski JS, Dillon TA, Justice JW, Peterson AC. Chlorhexidine gluconate 0.12% oral rinse reduces the incidence of total nosocomial respiratory infection and nonprophylactic systemic antibiotic use in patients undergoing heart surgery. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1996;109:1556–61.

Houston S, Hougland P, Anderson JJ, LaRocco M, Kennedy V, Gentry LO. Effectiveness of 0.12% chlorhexidine gluconate oral rinse in reducing prevalence of nosocomial pneumonia in patients undergoing heart surgery. Am J Crit Care 2002;11:567–70.

Fourrier F, Dubois D, Pronnier P, et al. Effect of gingival and dental plaque antiseptic decontamination on nosocomial infections acquired in the intensive care unit: a double-blind placebo-controlled multicenter study. Crit Care Med 2005;33:1728–35.

Koeman M, van der Ven AJ, Hak E, et al. Oral decontamination with chlorhexidine reduces the incidence of ventilatorassociated pneumonia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2006;173: 1348–55.

Segers P, Speekenbrink RG, Ubbink DT, van Ogtrop ML, de Mol BA. Prevention of nosocomial infection in cardiac surgery by decontamination of the nasopharynx and oropharynx with chlorhexidine gluconate: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2006; 296:2460–6.

Chan EY, Ruest A, Meade MO, Cook DJ. Oral decontamination for prevention of pneumonia in mechanically ventilated adults: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ 2007;334:889.

Chlebicki MP, Safdar N. Topical chlorhexidine for prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia: a meta-analysis. Crit Care Med 2007;35:595–602.

Munro CL, Grap MJ. Oral health and care in the intensive care unit: state of the science. Am J Crit Care 2004;13:25–33.

Munro CL, Grap MJ, McClish D, Sessler CN. Chlorhexidine reduces ventilator associated pneumonia (VAP) in mechanically ventilated ICU adults. Crit Care Med 2006;34:Suppl A1.

Grap MJ, Munro CL, Elswick RK, Sessler CN, Ward KR, Higgins SM. Early, single chlorhexidine application to reduce oral flora and VAP in trauma victims. Am J Crit Care 2009;18:200.

Pacheco-Fowler V, Gaonkar T, Wyer PC, Modak S. Antiseptic impregnated endotracheal tubes for the prevention of bacterial colonization. J Hosp Infect 2004;57:170–4.

OlsonME, Harmon BG,KollefMH. Silver-coated endotracheal tubes associated with reduced bacterial burden in the lungs of mechanically ventilated dogs. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2002;121:863–70.

Rello J, Kollef M, Diaz E, et al. Reduced burden of bacterial airway colonization with a novel silver-coated endotracheal tube in a randomized multiple-center feasibility study. Crit Care Med 2006;34:2766–72.

Kollef MH, Afessa B, Anzueto A, et al. Silver-coated endotracheal tubes and incidence of ventilator-associated pneumonia: the NASCENT randomized trial. JAMA 2008;300:805–13.

Burns KE, Adhikari NK,MeadeMO. Noninvasive positive pressure ventilation as a weaning strategy for intubated adults with respiratory failure. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2003;(4):CD004127.

Esteban A, Frutos-Vivar F, Ferguson ND, et al. Noninvasive positive-pressure ventilation for respiratory failure after extubation. N Engl J Med 2004;350:2452–60.

Tablan OC, Anderson LJ, Besser R, Bridges C, Hajjeh R. Guidelines for preventing health-care-associated pneumonia, 2003: recommendations of CDC and the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee. MMWR Recomm Rep 2004;53: 1–36.

AmericanThoracic Society; Infectious Diseases Society ofAmerica. Guidelines for the management of adults with hospital-acquired, ventilator-associated, and healthcare-associated pneumonia. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2005;171:388–416.

Sole ML, Byers JF, Ludy JE, Ostrow CL. Suctioning techniques and airway management practices: pilot study and instrument evaluation. Am J Crit Care 2002;11:363–8.

Heyland DK, Cook DJ, Dodek PM. Prevention of ventilatorassociated pneumonia: current practice in Canadian intensive care units. J Crit Care 2002;17:161–7.

Johnson KL, Kearney PA, Johnson SB, Niblett JB, MacMillan NL, McClain RE. Closed versus open endotracheal suctioning: costs and physiologic consequences. Crit Care Med 1994;22:658–66.

Maggiore SM, Lellouche F, Pigeot J, et al. Prevention of endotracheal suctioning-induced alveolar derecruitment in acute lung injury. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2003;167:1215–24.

Cereda M, Villa F, Colombo E, Greco G, Nacoti M, Pesenti A. Closed system endotracheal suctioning maintains lung volume during volume-controlled mechanical ventilation. Intensive Care Med 2001;27:648–54.

Deppe SA,KellyJW, Thoi LL, et al. Incidence of colonization, nosocomial pneumonia, and mortality in critically ill patients using a Trach Care closed-suction system versus an open-suction system: prospective, randomized study. Crit Care Med 1990;18:1389–93.

Lorente L, Lecuona M, Martin MM, Garcia C, Mora ML, Sierra A. Ventilator-associated pneumonia using a closed versus an open tracheal suction system. Crit Care Med 2005;33:115–9.

Siempos II, Vardakas KZ, Falagas ME Closed tracheal suction systems for prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia. Br J Anaesth 2008;100:299–306.

Jongerden IP, Rovers MM, Grypdonck MH, Bonten MJ. Open and closed endotracheal suction systems in mechanically ventilated intensive care patients: a meta-analysis. Crit Care Med 2007;35: 260–70.

Subirana M, Sola I, Benito S. Closed tracheal suction systems versus open tracheal suction systems for mechanically ventilated adult patients. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2007;(4):CD004581.

Vonberg RP, Eckmanns T, Welte T, Gastmeier P. Impact of the suctioning system (open vs. closed) on the incidence of ventilationassociated pneumonia: meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Intensive Care Med 2006;32:1329–35.

Niel-Weise BS, Snoeren RL, van den Broek PJ. Policies for endotracheal suctioning of patients receiving mechanical ventilation: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2007;28:531–6.

Rello J, Sonora R, Jubert P, Artigas A, Rue M, Valles J. Pneumonia in intubated patients: role of respiratory airway care. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1996;154:111–5.

Simmons LE, Scanlan CL. Airway management. In: Wilkins AR, Stoller JK, Scannapieco FA, eds. Egan's fundamentals of respiratory care. St. Louis, MO: Mosby; 2003:653–704.

Galinski M, Treoux V, Garrigue B, Lapostolle F, Borron SW, Adnet F. Intracuff pressures of endotracheal tubes in the management of airway emergencies: the need for pressure monitoring. Ann Emerg Med 2006;47:545–7.

Dodek P, Keenan S, Cook D, et al. Evidence-based clinical practice guideline for the prevention of ventilator-associated pneumonia. Ann Intern Med 2004;141:305–13.

Kollef MH, Skubas NJ, Sundt TM. A randomized clinical trial of continuous aspiration of subglottic secretions in cardiac surgery patients. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 1999;116:1339–46.

Smulders K, van der HH, Weers-Pothoff I, Vandenbroucke-Grauls C. A randomized clinical trial of intermittent subglottic secretion drainage in patients receiving mechanical ventilation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2002;121:858–62.

Valles J, Artigas A, Rello J, et al. Continuous aspiration of subglottic secretions in preventing ventilator-associated pneumonia. Ann Intern Med 1995;122:179–86.

Dezfulian C, Shojania K, Collard HR, Kim HM, Matthay MA, Saint S. Subglottic secretion drainage for preventing ventilatorassociated pneumonia: a meta-analysis. Am J Med 2005;118:11–8.

Grap MJ, Munro CL, Hummel RS III, Elswick RK Jr., McKinney JL, Sessler CN. Effect of backrest elevation on the development of ventilator-associated pneumonia. Am J Crit Care 2005;14:325–32.

Evans D. The use of position during critical illness: current practice and review of the literature. Aust Crit Care 1994;7:16–21.

Grap MJ, Munro CL, Bryant S, Ashtiani B. Predictors of backrest elevation in critical care. Intensive Crit Care Nurs 2003;19:68–74.

van Nieuwenhoven CA, Vandenbroucke-Grauls C, van Tiel FH, et al. Feasibility and effects of the semirecumbent position to prevent ventilator-associated pneumonia: a randomized study. Crit Care Med 2006;34:396–402.

Cook DJ, Meade MO, Hand LE, McMullin JP. Toward understanding evidence uptake: semirecumbency for pneumonia prevention. Crit Care Med 2002;30:1472–7.

Institute for Healthcare Improvement. Implement the ventilator bundle. Cambridge, MA: Institute for Healthcare Improvement; 2006.

Helman DL Jr., Sherner JH III, Fitzpatrick TM, Callender ME, Shorr AF Effect of standardized orders and provider education on head-of-bed positioning in mechanically ventilated patients. Crit Care Med 2003;31:2285–90.

Joiner GA, Salisbury D, Bollin GE. Utilizing quality assurance as a tool for reducing the risk of nosocomial ventilatorassociated pneumonia. Am J Med Qual 1996;11:100–3.

Zack JE, Garrison T, Trovillion E, et al. Effect of an education program aimed at reducing the occurrence of ventilator-associated pneumonia. Crit Care Med 2002;30:2407–12.

Resar R, Pronovost P, Haraden C, Simmonds T, Rainey T, Nolan T. Using a bundle approach to improve ventilator care processes and reduce ventilator-associated pneumonia. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 2005;31:243–8.

Crunden E, Boyce C, Woodman H, Bray B. An evaluation of the impact of the ventilator care bundle. Nurs Crit Care 2005;10: 242–6.

Cocanour CS, Peninger M, Domonoske BD, et al. Decreasing ventilator-associated pneumonia in a trauma ICU. J Trauma 2006; 61:122–9.

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
Not at all. A little extra time prior to passing a tube is not a big deal, especially if it can improve the outcome in the patient. Obviously if you have a patient dead or dying, with blood or emesis present it's a different story. If you are taking the time to use some versed and etomidate prior to using anectine on an elective intubation you should have plenty of time to pass a swab around the mouth.

If you are from King County, Washington you might look up the research articles from U of Washington.

I think what sets that area apart is the education and skill level obtained during Paramedic training.

OP
OP
K

KingCountyMedic

Forum Lieutenant
If you are from King County, Washington you might look up the research articles from U of Washington.

I think what sets that area apart is the education and skill level obtained during Paramedic training.

Agree 100% :D

Most of the writers of those UW research articles lecture us and ride with us on a regular basis. The newest research on this issue is now being talked about as a possible field study. It sounds like Seattle will kick it off and then they will look at expanding the study from there.

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
Agree 100% :D

Most of the writers of those UW research articles lecture us and ride with us on a regular basis. The newest research on this issue is now being talked about as a possible field study. It sounds like Seattle will kick it off and then they will look at expanding the study from there.

The results from your area may not be indicative of all EMS since there is such a discrepancy in skills, education and continued competency.

I think those who believe what happens in the field has not bearing on results in the hospital are the ones who have the most to learn.

Dwindlin

Forum Captain

There should be no such thing in the pre-hospital realm. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there is a large group of providers out there who aren't just about following the protocol and want more education and understanding. However, I am still a minimalist in both my view and practice. The words elective should never be in front of ANYTHING we do.

Wheel

Forum Asst. Chief
There should be no such thing in the pre-hospital realm. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there is a large group of providers out there who aren't just about following the protocol and want more education and understanding. However, I am still a minimalist in both my view and practice. The words elective should never be in front of ANYTHING we do.

I wouldn't say never. Pain management is elective. Rarely is it necessary. Should we not do that? That being said I do agree that less is more and you should be able to justify your treatments.