Prevailing Wage - How much does it pay?

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Why? There is basically no education required and there is a flood of emt's and Paramedics on the market. What other job pays so much for so little true expertise and education?

So much? Most jobs that require anything more than a pulse pay at least as much as EMTs seem to get, and Paramedic is, at least around here, a significant educational investment.

Don't get me wrong - I could point out that my first job out of law school was as a judge's law clerk making $35K for a one-year term appointment. After seven years of higher education.

Private company EMTs here make in the $13-15 hour range, and seem to mostly work 4 12-hour shifts. One of the several Jersey medics who post here can speak to MICP salaries better than I can, but they vary by project. MONOC pays the least, but I've been told has somewhat better benefits. UMDNJ is a government employer.

Incidentally, I think Lakewood Township EMS, which was one of the first municipal BLS services hereabouts, was until recently one of the highest paid services in the country. They had to give back significant concessions to avoid being shut down, though.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
could point out that my first job out of law school was as a judge's law clerk making $35K for a one-year term appointment. After seven years of higher education.
Which reminds me why law school quickly disappeared from my list of options when I started looking to get out of clinical medicine. Well, that and my flexible ethics probably would not be a good idea in a lawyer....

Private company EMTs here make in the $13-15 hour range, and seem to mostly work 4 12-hour shifts.

Of course, you also have to look at the astronomical cost of living....

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Which reminds me why law school quickly disappeared from my list of options when I started looking to get out of clinical medicine. Well, that and my flexible ethics probably would not be a good idea in a lawyer....

Of course, you also have to look at the astronomical cost of living....

Eh, a clerkship isn't the same as a residency, but it's a similar concept, so you have to suck it up and take the low pay for a year or two. Things get better from there.

And yes, the cost of living is astronomical. Most EMTs I know work two or three jobs.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I'll likely take a ton of heat for this....

I've noticed an trend for increased educational requirements in the fire service in the form of degrees. Right now it's for promotions. It varies by dept, but more and more are requiring degrees as a condition for career advancement..

I can't see why anyone would give you heat for this, it sounds quite smart.

There are typically an overabundance of qualified applicants for every vacant fire and fire/EMS vacancy.

Not a whole lot in the way of qualifications really. Every fire test I ever took required a GED and sometimes an EMT B or medic card. Cities could save thousands by shortlisting only people with degrees to take a written or physical. Not to mention, while a degree does not confer ability, chances are a person with a degree may have heard or remember something smart occasionally that could be used to make a more informed decision.

Since the trend of requiring degrees for career development has been steadily growing within the fire service, it's only a matter of time before the larger and most desireable depts will start requiring EMS degrees for entry level firemedics, and maybe fire science degrees for basic FF's..

I have reviewed some of the fire science texts, they are not anymore worthy of a college degree than the current EMT texts. If I was hiring or promoting firefighters I would ask for a chemistry, physics, or polytechnic degree (like engineering) imagine the hazmat and rescue teams you could develop with that!

The major barrier to requiring degrees as a condition for employment would be racial quota hiring..

Just my opinion but I think a degree requirement trumps racial requirements, otherwise you could find yourself desperately sort of professionals in many parts of government.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I can't see why anyone would give you heat for this, it sounds quite smart.

Not a whole lot in the way of qualifications really. Every fire test I ever took required a GED and sometimes an EMT B or medic card. Cities could save thousands by shortlisting only people with degrees to take a written or physical. Not to mention, while a degree does not confer ability, chances are a person with a degree may have heard or remember something smart occasionally that could be used to make a more informed decision.

I have reviewed some of the fire science texts, they are not anymore worthy of a college degree than the current EMT texts. If I was hiring or promoting firefighters I would ask for a chemistry, physics, or polytechnic degree (like engineering) imagine the hazmat and rescue teams you could develop with that!

Just my opinion but I think a degree requirement trumps racial requirements, otherwise you could find yourself desperately sort of professionals in many parts of government.

As far as qualifications I was referring to those who could pass the simple entrance exam, CPAT, medical, psych, and poly. I agree that this isn't really a whole lot in the way of qualifications. I agree that cities and counties could save thousands by giving preference in hiring for job related degrees, if not making it a condition of employment altogether. It baffles me why this isn't standard practice, especially with the increased application and fewer available positions within EMS and the fire service. Many PD's require two year degrees to be hired.

As far as quota hiring, look at the FDNY as a prime example. They used to require two years of college, then one, then nothing. The Vulcans just won a case recently saying that the (overly simplified and purposefully unbiased) entrance exam was discriminatory towards blacks. The FDNY EMS > FDNY FF promotion is a process purposefully created for minorities to circumvent the hiring process, just like dropping college was supposed to create more opportunity for the same protected class. Apparently they feel that their race is too dumb to be able to amass any college credits or score well on an exam. If I were black, I'd be highly offended and mortified by the position and actions of the Vulcans and the opposition of the NewHaven20. I feel it's a great thing that the NewHaven20 case went the way it did. Merit matters. I feel everyone should be equal, and be hired fairly and on merit. Problems arise when certain groups feel that they should be "more equal" than others.

Yes, chem, physics or polytech degrees would make for some sick Hazmat and TROT teams.

A degree ought to trump racial requirements. The problem is, as is the case of NYC, the courts value quota hiring over merit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
If that's based on a 56 hour workweek, then that's pretty good.

Typical schedule for ALS trucks at AMR for where I'm working is two week days and every other Fri/Sat/Sun, so 24hr one week and 60 the next.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Typical schedule for ALS trucks at AMR for where I'm working is two week days and every other Fri/Sat/Sun, so 24hr one week and 60 the next.

That's a great way to do a 42 hour/wk schedule.

I do hope you're trying to get into a muni third service if you're looking to do EMS as a long term career. Drop all the apps you can.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Trust me, I have no intention at doing IFT a year from now, even if it means moving from DFW.

I've been trying to get on with MedStar who does most of Tarrant county, but Paula is never in her office when I call for a followup. AMR does Arlington 911, but they aren't looking for medics right now. CareFlite said try again in a few months, but they are primarily IFT with only a few lucky people getting to do 911. Most of the Dallas side is fire based.

I applied to Wise county, Rockwall County (dual medic) and Granbury/Hood county EMS. I should probably apply to ATcEMS as well.

Thought I'd take the IFT job at AMR for a bit as it's money, experience, I can do standby events for some acute experience, and I can then more easily transfer to one of their local 911 areas when a spot opens.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Trust me, I have no intention at doing IFT a year from now, even if it means moving from DFW.

I've been trying to get on with MedStar who does most of Tarrant county, but Paula is never in her office when I call for a followup. AMR does Arlington 911, but they aren't looking for medics right now. CareFlite said try again in a few months, but they are primarily IFT with only a few lucky people getting to do 911. Most of the Dallas side is fire based.

I applied to Wise county, Rockwall County (dual medic) and Granbury/Hood county EMS. I should probably apply to ATcEMS as well.

Thought I'd take the IFT job at AMR for a bit as it's money, experience, I can do standby events for some acute experience, and I can then more easily transfer to one of their local 911 areas when a spot opens.

I understand, smart move. What I was getting at is that private employers can pack up and leave, or be replaced by municipal services quite easily. I'd be wary of hospitals as well. They seem to be dropping like flies lately. However, if you want to change careers and go to school, the hospitals would be the most likely to work with your schedule.

You could make 911 at AMR, go muni third service, and then do AMR 911 and/or IFT after dropping down to per diem.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Apparently AMR just lost Alameda County out in Cali...

Which is why I'm looking at ATcEMS... well respected around here and great wages / benefits. But along with that comes stiff competition... the kind of competition I don't see overcoming as a new grad medic.

But MedStar here in Fort Worth has been around since 1986. I believe they are a community service model, so they won't be going anywhere anytime soon. I had a blast riding for them as a basic student which is why I've been trying to get on as a medic. But nooooooo :ph34r:

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief

I was hoping for some overtime if I can get on with AMR after school. I will need it if I want to do a career change. If not it is part-time for me. I may go work for metro ambulance up in Lauderdale county as well.

Over here in Jackson, AMR is wide open on over time.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Back when I was an EMT I had access to the scheduling website where we could sign up for extra open shifts, like on a normal truck or standby. There were always shifts open, especially for standby.

I was looking at doing part time so I could go back and finish my EMS degree (only 1 semester left) but they were primarily looking for full time, which is ok considering the weekdays are either Mon/Wed or Tues/Thurs, and the college near by does the same type of class schedule.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Apparently AMR just lost Alameda County out in Cali...

Which is why I'm looking at ATcEMS... well respected around here and great wages / benefits. But along with that comes stiff competition... the kind of competition I don't see overcoming as a new grad medic.

But MedStar here in Fort Worth has been around since 1986. I believe they are a community service model, so they won't be going anywhere anytime soon. I had a blast riding for them as a basic student which is why I've been trying to get on as a medic. But nooooooo :ph34r:
Hm, are you sure? I Googled about it and I read that won't be decided until April 27th. Apparently to Paramedic Plus? In Santa Clara county, I heard AMR might lose their contract to Paramedic Plus there too...