Preparing for paramedic school

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
Hey there,

I recently got a PM from someone asking what I am doing to prepare for paramedic school. My program has a required pre-course that serves as a weeding out process to select candidates for the course. I wrote out what I had to do to prepare so I thought I would share it here.

I have found that the most important thing is the EMT Curriculum. You need to know it front to back and have solid patient assessments. Being able to name the signs/symptoms of every condition found in the EMT and Paramedic curriculum is also helpful.

A solid basis of math is important as well. I would review and make sure that you are able to do addition, subtraction, division, and multiplication by hand of whole numbers, decimals, and fractions; also knowing the metric conversions is important as well, i.e. 1 fl oz=29.6 mL.

The next portion you need to know is Anatomy and Physiology. You cannot cover it enough. You need to know everything.

Medical Terminology is also vital - knowing definitions of all the words in the EMT and Paramedic book. Word parts fall in here as well - knowing that "hepato-" is referring to the liver or "dia-" means to bear through.

The class I am taking is not really to teach (they do offer those) - but it is a weeding out process and a requirement to get accepted into this paramedic program. I will list the books they had us buy and other books I bought that I have found helpful.

Required for my pre-course:

"Calculation of Drug Dosages" by Ogden - I worked through Chap. 1-8 to solidify my basic math skills.

"Anatomy and Physiology Paramedic" by AAOS - I learned every bit of info in this book it covers A and P for everybody system and includes some pathophysiology.

"Emergency Care and Transportation of the Sick and Injured - 10th Edition" by AAOS - This is my EMT book that I review and learn everything in it front to back. I also study the words in the glossary.

"Essentials of Paramedic Care - 2nd Edition" by Brady - This is the current paramedic text - for now I just learned the glossary but we will also use it in the course.

Other books I have and am reading to prepare for school:

"Pharmacology for the Prehospital Professional" by Guy - This is a great book to cover pharmacology. I have found that skimming it makes the pharm lectures easier to learn.

"Rapid Interpretation of EKG's" by Dubin - As someone who is starting paramedic school without an ALS background this easy to read book is a great introduction to cardiology.

I am just a mere student but thought it might help others!

Thanks,

-Andrew

somePerson

Forum Crew Member
Those are some helpful suggestions.

The school I went to required A&P/ paramedic-prep to even apply. I decided to make my life as easy as possible during paramedic school. I took a medical terminoloy semester class (because one of the tests to get in was a medical terminology one), I could of probably just went online and studied medical terminology without taking the class, but oh well. Also, I took an EKG/ACLS class at a community college, and that gave a really good understanding of 4 lead EKG's and their ACLS covered pharmacology really well too.

When I was in medic school, when we got to cardiology, it was like a vacation for me, I already pretty much knew everything (except 12 lead interpertation), while other people were freaking out because it's the first time they have seen it, and it looked like chinese to them.

Overall, best thing to do to prepare for medic school is to do as many ride alongs, or work in 911 ambulance (especially emt/medic rig with a cool medic partner). You can have a 99% average troughout didactic, but if you can't run a call in the field, it won't matter. So real-world experiance on calls is probably the most important thing you can get while preparing for medic school, unless you just struggle with writte tests a lot.

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
I was the questioning/pm'er haha.
Helped me a ton, thanks for taking the time and helping out.

Another good bit of information would be universal books. I know each school uses different companies, editions and so on, but compiling a list of good study guides would be beneficial too.

So if anyone has any helpful books please share them.

I want to be as prepared as possible. I'm not risking it.

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
Those are some helpful suggestions.

The school I went to required A&P/ paramedic-prep to even apply. I decided to make my life as easy as possible during paramedic school. I took a medical terminoloy semester class (because one of the tests to get in was a medical terminology one), I could of probably just went online and studied medical terminology without taking the class, but oh well. Also, I took an EKG/ACLS class at a community college, and that gave a really good understanding of 4 lead EKG's and their ACLS covered pharmacology really well too.

When I was in medic school, when we got to cardiology, it was like a vacation for me, I already pretty much knew everything (except 12 lead interpertation), while other people were freaking out because it's the first time they have seen it, and it looked like chinese to them.

Overall, best thing to do to prepare for medic school is to do as many ride alongs, or work in 911 ambulance (especially emt/medic rig with a cool medic partner). You can have a 99% average troughout didactic, but if you can't run a call in the field, it won't matter. So real-world experiance on calls is probably the most important thing you can get while preparing for medic school, unless you just struggle with writte tests a lot.

Agreed, the company I work at full-time is a strictly ALS company, no BLS rigs, so I have a Medic at my learning disposal constantly. Even though I'm in the Paramaybe stage it's definitely beneficial to dissect the calls we get and to be able to pick their brain. Just try not to do it at 2:30 in the morning. :p

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Throw that AAOS A&P book away!

Get yourself a decent book like Marieb and read it back to front, up and down and all around, then do it again.

The Lippincott 12 lead ECG book is also great, they have a red one and a brown one, get the brown one as it's better.

A basic chemistry book could also be useful

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I would change your ECG book to
"12 lead ecg the art of interpretation" By Garcia and Holtz.
Its written by an M.D. and a Paramedic. All the ecgs are real and in full color. The Paramedic gives you text for each of them for a paramedic understanding and the M.D gives you even more info you want to know how a M.D. is going to look at it.

The Dubin is probably the most well known and popular one, but there are better books.

legion1202

Forum Lieutenant
this is actually pretty good.. I start medic the 23 of aug.. My mom is a open heart and CC nurse and has already started teaching rythems, but i want more... SO i will pick a few of these books up

OP
OP
C

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
Throw that AAOS A&P book away!

Get yourself a decent book like Marieb and read it back to front, up and down and all around, then do it again.

The Lippincott 12 lead ECG book is also great, they have a red one and a brown one, get the brown one as it's better.

A basic chemistry book could also be useful

I agree that there are better A and P books besides the AAOS one - but that is the one I am being tested out of for my pre-course. I do find myself referencing my other Physiology texts for for more detailed explanations, but as a general overview the AAOS one isn't bad. I do have other books laying around from my Undergrad work luckily.

FoleyArtist

More murse than medic now...
Hey there,

I recently got a PM from someone asking what I am doing to prepare for paramedic school. My program has a required pre-course that serves as a weeding out process to select candidates for the course. I wrote out what I had to do to prepare so I thought I would share it here.

I have found that the most important thing is the EMT Curriculum. You need to know it front to back and have solid patient assessments. Being able to name the signs/symptoms of every condition found in the EMT and Paramedic curriculum is also helpful.

A solid basis of math is important as well. I would review and make sure that you are able to do addition, subtraction, division, and multiplication by hand of whole numbers, decimals, and fractions; also knowing the metric conversions is important as well, i.e. 1 fl oz=29.6 mL.

The next portion you need to know is Anatomy and Physiology. You cannot cover it enough. You need to know everything.

Medical Terminology is also vital - knowing definitions of all the words in the EMT and Paramedic book. Word parts fall in here as well - knowing that "hepato-" is referring to the liver or "dia-" means to bear through.

The class I am taking is not really to teach (they do offer those) - but it is a weeding out process and a requirement to get accepted into this paramedic program. I will list the books they had us buy and other books I bought that I have found helpful.

Required for my pre-course:

"Calculation of Drug Dosages" by Ogden - I worked through Chap. 1-8 to solidify my basic math skills.

"Anatomy and Physiology Paramedic" by AAOS - I learned every bit of info in this book it covers A and P for everybody system and includes some pathophysiology.

"Emergency Care and Transportation of the Sick and Injured - 10th Edition" by AAOS - This is my EMT book that I review and learn everything in it front to back. I also study the words in the glossary.

"Essentials of Paramedic Care - 2nd Edition" by Brady - This is the current paramedic text - for now I just learned the glossary but we will also use it in the course.

Other books I have and am reading to prepare for school:

"Pharmacology for the Prehospital Professional" by Guy - This is a great book to cover pharmacology. I have found that skimming it makes the pharm lectures easier to learn.

"Rapid Interpretation of EKG's" by Dubin - As someone who is starting paramedic school without an ALS background this easy to read book is a great introduction to cardiology.

I am just a mere student but thought it might help others!

Thanks,

-Andrew

Andrew, are you going to mt. sac?? If so, I wanted to go there in 2011 but i don't have any exposure to a formal A&P course and registering for that class is nearly impossible with nursing students and such scrambling for A&P too

OP
OP
C

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
Andrew, are you going to mt. sac?? If so, I wanted to go there in 2011 but i don't have any exposure to a formal A&P course and registering for that class is nearly impossible with nursing students and such scrambling for A&P too

I am indeed. This precourse for the august class just ended. It's a great school.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
6 books come to mind.

At a glance: Emergency and critical care
At a glance: Pharmacology

Brilliant for quick reference and they're small so you can take them to every class, unlike some of those larger texts.

Prehospital Trauma Care - simply brilliant. Its written for prehospital physicians in europe where some countries have doc based EMS instead of paramedics, so there is no dumbing it down and "if A refer to OMC, if B insert C into D" cookbook BS.
http://books.google.com.au/books?id...&resnum=3&ved=0CCMQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

Cardiac arrest - the definitive resource on resucitation medicine. Its huge and extremely well written and it has the answers to any resus question you have. I picked it up off Amazon second hand for about 60 bucks (RRP was ~300 :ph34r: )
http://books.google.com.au/books?id...&resnum=1&ved=0CCoQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Guyton's Medical Physiology - the best physiology textbook in my opinion. It takes a slightly different approach to diving up the information which makes it good for answering questions that others don't.
http://books.google.com.au/books?id...ook_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAg

Sudden death and the myth of CPR - the author is a sociologist and he spent a whole pile of time observing ED and paramedic culture. Should be required reading for all first year paramedic students.
http://books.google.com.au/books?id...&resnum=1&ved=0CCcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
You;re trying to get a leg up on that medical degree aren't you :D

Why I oughta..... hang on,

"Hello HEMS? Yes, yes, yes, square 44 mm, ok we're on our way, ta, bye"
"What is it Brown?"
"Sounds bad Oz, its a go, some poor chap has been buried under a pile of medical textbooks at the library"
"Abridged or quick reference versions?"
"Mmm afraid not"
"Oooh ouch, could be rhabdo, best we get going"

Righto, map book, square fourty-four, all set, ok we're off ....

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
You;re trying to get a leg up on that medical degree aren't you :D

Why I oughta..... hang on,

"Hello HEMS? Yes, yes, yes, square 44 mm, ok we're on our way, ta, bye"
"What is it Brown?"
"Sounds bad Oz, its a go, some poor chap has been buried under a pile of medical textbooks at the library"
"Abridged or quick reference versions?"
"Mmm afraid not"
"Oooh ouch, could be rhabdo, best we get going"

Righto, map book, square fourty-four, all set, ok we're off ....

Haha. I have to conquer my deep fear/hatred of stereochemisty first.

@OP, Browns not kidding about the AAOS stuff. AAOS books aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Haha. I have to conquer my deep fear/hatred of stereochemisty first.

@OP, Browns not kidding about the AAOS stuff. AAOS books aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

If it makes you feel any better mate I am spending my free time studying a basic chemistry book.

The following are vital before you even look at clinical components of Paramedic education:

- Chemistry
- Biochemistry
- Scientific research methods
- English and communication
- Anatomy and Physiology with lab
- Pharmacology
- A general patho course if you can find it

"Is that an ambulance down there Oz?
"Looks like it Brown, there is the library, can't think of anywhere we can land"
"Hmm, I think we are going to end up in the middle of the road"
"Righto, down we go"

City Traffic, Westpac Rescue descending ....

Oh BTW, Brown never kids, what are you trying to say :D

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
If it makes you feel any better mate I am spending my free time studying a basic chemistry book.

I've still got my texts from when I started my BS and every now and then I look over them and die a little inside.

- Chemistry
- Biochemistry
- Scientific research methods
- English and communication

I agree but I think the high school level of these topics is completely sufficient. If I hadn't done chem, bio and psych in my final year, I would have been so screwed. I remember people sitting in the library in first year looking harassed, muttering diffusion this and hydrostatic that as their hair fell out on the desk in front of them.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief

There's nothing basic about a college level intro chemistry book. If you memorize everything in one of those, you know quite a lot about chemistry.

I also have the Marieb A&P book. It's the most professional looking book on my bookshelf. Wish I had about 20 of them so my bookshelf would make me look smart.

FoleyArtist

More murse than medic now...
I am indeed. This precourse for the august class just ended. It's a great school.

thanks a lot. i hope to walk your path one day but after reading this thread i think i'm not ready to go through medic school. I still got a lot to see as an emt... and being employed in OC its hard to see the full spectrum of calls. mostly bls/cct/dialysis.

thanks again for starting this thread i will also started reading the texts you mentioned.