Preparing for paramedic school

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Good luck, I really enjoyed RCC, still am friends with a few of the instructors, and hopefully will be precepting for them coming up soon. See you out there!

FoleyArtist

More murse than medic now...
what learning style is required of a medic student?

hey me again, since i've "hijacked" this thread. haha it still pertains to medic school.

soo i'm taking a 4 session (8hrs/day) PALS class right now at a community college and i came to the realization that my learning style may hinder me in medic school. come skills practice the scenarios and jus BLS cpr/aed review i found myself hanging back and absorbing the content entirely. basically just like we've done a majority of our early school days you sit, stand, shut up and listen to teacher talk. thats how i've always operated and its worked well so far.

but the scenarios require you to be active and verbal, which is all good and well i can do that with practice and i got a lil chewed out by a retired fire captain/bls instructor when it came to cpr/aed scenarios. my group was first up. i wasn't verbal enough especial when i was the EMT that brought the aed to the civilian cpr-ers. the AED guy is GOD (guy.gal on device). i just clammed shut and didn't speak much. before i get off on tangent. basically i never like to go first but i never wanna go last; somewhere in the middle you know?

i know i should be proactive rather than reactive... i know this come the real world. but in a classroom setting i revert to being reactive and silent student. is this something i need to adjust now, early before i hit didactic? its not the "real world me" its just my learning style but apparently it bit me in the a$$. i don't think im the type A... jump in guns a'blazing. nor am i overly critical thinker who waste time. but it seems like i have to be an extremely Type A person when it comes to didactic.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
Yes - more so for lab and field than the classroom though. In practice scenarios and real calls part of being successful is being aggressive and decisive while acting as a leader. It was a challenge for me as well but you have to get the hang of it to make your time easier.

OP
OP
C

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
How do you like it so far?

Me?

If so - it is a great experience. I enjoy getting to finally translate what we learned in class and clinical into a field setting. I like making decisions in the patient's best interest and doing my best to stabilize or improve their conditions. It is completely different from the classroom and much more challenging. Aside from that I can't wait to be done - running calls with preceptors analyzing your moves is very stressful!

medicstudent101

Forum Lieutenant
Me?

If so - it is a great experience. I enjoy getting to finally translate what we learned in class and clinical into a field setting. I like making decisions in the patient's best interest and doing my best to stabilize or improve their conditions. It is completely different from the classroom and much more challenging. Aside from that I can't wait to be done - running calls with preceptors analyzing your moves is very stressful!

I completely agree. It's stressful enough working a multi-system trauma trying to not mess up and call the shots for your team leads. But with your preceptor judging every step your make, adds a tremendous amount of stress regardless of how confident you may be. Which I do consider myself quite confident B)
But I still slip up every once in a while.