Preparations in your house

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
A comment in the 100% Directionless Thread got me thinking (scary, I know). What have you done to prep yourself for any disasters in your area, and how long do you think you could shelter in place at your home if it was necessary?

If necessary, I have enough supplies that I could shelter in place for 60 days.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't speak of those things on the internet. The helicopters have been around too much lately :D

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I've been thinking of buying those zombie rounds for my gun... Does garlic work on zombies too? :unsure:

Sasha

Forum Chief
A comment in the 100% Directionless Thread got me thinking (scary, I know). What have you done to prep yourself for any disasters in your area, and how long do you think you could shelter in place at your home if it was necessary?

If necessary, I have enough supplies that I could shelter in place for 60 days.

.....for like a day. Or as long as it takes me to eat 22 cupcakes.

I have a problem of only shopping for what I want to eat that day.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
Enough ammo to take whatever my neighbors have stocked up :ph34r:

I have enough for one person for sixty days, I could probably stretch that if I'm by myself. If my family is involved I'm only looking at about two weeks. Maybe more if we make the two block journey to my grandma's house and hole up with her and use her stuff.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I live in an area that is kind of disaster proof. No tornadoes/hurricanes/earthquakes/volcanoes in the area. Remote chance of flood or wild fire, but almost zero chance they would affect my neighborhood, and I've got several ways out in different directions.

That being said, a 3, maybe 4 weeks if there is electricity.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
I guess ill be somewhat serious. I have supplies, not enough to feel comfortable. Realistically I would like a 6 month supply. However, because of DRT I have FEMA credentials that ill use for food :D

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I can't find anything to eat in the house on the average day.

If I was really desperate I live across the street from the neighborhood grocery store.

This time of year, with the weather, it is not the food that is the issue, it's the heat.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Two weeks of food for me two weeks of food for my dog and about 5 days worth of water. I have a little water purification filter pump for more water if I need it. I should keep more on hand because I live in anaconda and I know my neighbors will be out of food in hours.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We have a bunch of canned food and other survival supplies in our shed out back. We also have 100 gallons of fresh clean water and even more supplies in out trailer that is less then 1/4 mile away from our house. All the male members of my family have survival training and everyone male and female go camping alot so we are all good with getting by in tents and camp stoves.

We also have guns and ammo for those dang zombies.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Removed per request...too much info revealed.

Last edited by a moderator:

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah we're screwed. We're doing good to keep more than a few days groceries on hand. I do have plenty of fuel for a backpacking stove and white gas camping stove. Got a big azz generator but all the gas cans are empty.

Got enough booze and cigars to sit back and enjoy the show with though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Having been a fan of "The Walking Dead"...

I now have a Machete and a Cross Bow...

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I only posted my food and water preps...never mentioned the defense preps.

Sent from my Android Tablet using Tapatalk

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I live at the base of a volcanic cinder cone on an active volcano in an inactive phase that's overdue for an eruption. This is major assurance because if it blows, I won't need supplies!

However...if a tsunami hits I've got about 30 days worth of food, 10 gallons of drinking water and about 40 gallons of bleach-purified tap water.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I live at the base of a volcanic cinder cone on an active volcano in an inactive phase that's overdue for an eruption. This is major assurance because if it blows, I won't need supplies!

However...if a tsunami hits I've got about 30 days worth of food, 10 gallons of drinking water and about 40 gallons of bleach-purified tap water.

Time to order the asbestos underwear.

Sent from my Android Tablet using Tapatalk

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief

On the other hand, once the process of orogenesis stops, gradation begins... so in another mmm... lets say 65 millions years, the island turns into a sea mount and your home is underwater. Are you prepared for that?