pregnancy in ems

emtmom95

Forum Ride Along
Has any one here ever been pregnant and worked in EMS? I am trying to figure out how long i will be able to work if i get pregnant.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
We have several people on here that worked while pregnant. Some work all the way up till they deliver while others will go on light duty a couple of months into the pregnancy.

Gastudent

Forum Crew Member
I knew a girl that worked right up until a few days before she had the baby. So it shouldn't be a problem.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I wouldn't, too much of a risk of being assaulted or injured, is it really worth it? Go onto light duty, it has to be provided for you legally.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
work until your doctor/obgyn says you shouldn't be working.

Anjel

Forum Angel
FMLA gives you something like 90 days paid at 60% if you were a full time employee.

I purchased short term disability, because I'm currently trying to get pregnant. That covers six months.

Due to the fact I will be a high risk pregnancy, my doctor agreed I could work until my 2nd trimester.

Epi-do

I see dead people
I have worked with several individuals who were on a truck right up until they delivered. On the other hand, I ended up on light duty early in my 2nd trimester due to some medical issues that appeared.

You should be able to stay on the truck as long as you want to, as long as you are healthy and having no complications during your pregnancy.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
I have never worked pregnant, because its Physiologically impossible for me :p

However my old partner worked her whole pregnancy, Literally she was set to go on leave after her last shift, except during that shift she went into labor. Which was a funny phone call to the boss.

Hey I really gotta leave now.
Why whats wrong? Can you avoid leaving till we get coverage?
Unless you want me to pop this baby on the floor of the truck. I'm leaving.

I would see what your options are personally, Since PD always shows up on EMS calls where I work at, she didn't have to worry about lifting but I'm sure if she had to lift she would've left earlier.

ZombieEMT

Chief Medical Zombie
Premium Member
Not sure of applicable state laws, but on a federal level, light duty IS NOT required to be provided by the employeer. If the employee has been employeed for a minimum of 12 months, company has 50+ employees and a minimum of 1250 hours have been worked, leave is required.

See: http://www.dol.gov/dol/topic/benefits-leave/fmla.htm#lawregs

I think certain things that need to be evaluated when considering whether or not to work. Can you physically perform the job duties required? When is it not safe for you, your baby, your partner and you patient? I think in certain cases, whether you work IFT or 911 could make a difference.