Pre-hospital Patient Registration

silver

Forum Asst. Chief
I wonder how this type of system would effect the number of improperly registered patients. I constantly am reviewing patient's charts and saying "wow this sounds really familiar" but this presentation through the ED is the first one for their account. Later on I realize, oh yeah this person almost died on me multiple times in the ICU 6 months ago as has a duplicate MRN.

Would be quite a hurdle to overcome when EMS teams are often time constrained already.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I wonder how this type of system would effect the number of improperly registered patients. I constantly am reviewing patient's charts and saying "wow this sounds really familiar" but this presentation through the ED is the first one for their account. Later on I realize, oh yeah this person almost died on me multiple times in the ICU 6 months ago as has a duplicate MRN.

Would be quite a hurdle to overcome when EMS teams are often time constrained already.
At least locally, you register with their social also, which I have had a longstanding personal policy of refusing to ask a patient for their social.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Because Social Security numbers came about as sort of an account number to track social security benefits. Since its inception its intention was never to become an identifier, but it did anyway. Given that and its wide range of use in identity theft, I choose not to ask. If the facility needs their social, they can ask the patient fornit when they arrive.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Because Social Security numbers came about as sort of an account number to track social security benefits. Since its inception its intention was never to become an identifier, but it did anyway. Given that and its wide range of use in identity theft, I choose not to ask. If the facility needs their social, they can ask the patient fornit when they arrive.

Does your agency care that you don't complete that in the PCR? (I'm guessing not)

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Does your agency care that you don't complete that in the PCR? (I'm guessing not)
The only one that has ever cared is when I worked at AMR and that was merely to make life easier for billing.

In reality if they have an MRN number they can get whatever information they need. They repeatedly asked that we include it but the boss eventually figured out I wasn't going to do it and quit asking.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Last department I served on, there was a large percentage of our patients that didn't have a SSN
...or any other legal documents.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Last department I served on, there was a large percentage of our patients that didn't have a SSN
...or any other legal documents.
I worked for an agency that decided to publish a list of employees' charts that were missing information, based on their PCR #. The supervisor claimed it was about accountability... the top 8 offenders? the 4 two-person crews (2 on day shift, 2 on night shift, and both tours) who were assigned full time to 911 calls in the city, who picked up patients who were frequently undocumented... go figure, the charts the people without SSNs were flagged as missing information...