Post the # your test stopped at, and if you Passed/Failed

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
Woke up this morning and I only got above passing on airway. I guess studying from the textbook isn't the right way to do this...

bud1875

Forum Ride Along
http://emtlife.com/showthread.php?p=368135#post368135

Sorry it was for EMT-B...just remember LOC, ABC, and pathophysiology of your assessments, especially with cardiology and OB-GYN emergencies.

Pavehawk

Forum Lieutenant
Passed but wow...just wow

45 questions passed (but man was I sweating when it shut off!)

Pavehawk

Forum Lieutenant
45 questions? I thought the baseline was still at least 70.

There is no baseline, they say 70 is the "average" though the EMS department faculty (where I completed EMT-B) have stated that they have had folks both pass and fail at 70, 100 and even more. There have been other folks I know that have passed in under 50 but, like me, they are almost all long term medics getting back in it after years away in other fields.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Interesting. According to the NREMT, there is a window of between 70-120 questions for EMT-B, more for advanced levels. http://www.nremt.org/nremt/EMTServices/cert_pol_r.asp

I was under the impression that even if the candidate answered the first 60 questions correctly, the test would continue to assure a 95% competency score.

Has this changed? I know we have some folks who work with the NREMT here who might be able to shed some light.

Nubby09

Forum Ride Along
The first time I took it, it stopped at 70. I went waay to fast. The second time I took it, it stopped at 120

Pavehawk

Forum Lieutenant
It wold be nice to know...

Interesting. According to the NREMT, there is a window of between 70-120 questions for EMT-B, more for advanced levels.

I was under the impression that even if the candidate answered the first 60 questions correctly, the test would continue to assure a 95% competency score.

Has this changed? I know we have some folks who work with the NREMT here who might be able to shed some light.

I agree I would LOVE to know exactly what is going on with that test. Anytime you use an a "hidden" system nobody really knows what is going on. The adaptive nature makes it difficult to really prepare for the test (other then knowing your stuff A to Z) and even worse to prepare for a retest if you fail.

My EMT-B instructor said that his biggest problem with the NREMT test was trying to help students that failed the first time study for a retest. Since you don't know what test you're going to get you can't really study your weak points, or even know what areas ARE your weak points.

Some of the questions on my test were not what I would call EMT basic questions. I can't discuss the questions in the forum but feel free to send me a PM for some examples of things clearly NOT in the scope of practice for basics as of December 2011, (granted could have been "new questions" being validated but we wil never know.), and that is the rub.

Cheers!

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Where do you get the breakdown on how you did with the test? I've looked for it but don't know where...

if you pass you won't get one. if you fail it will tell you by subject pass, near pass and whatever

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
There is a book at barnes and noble its 9 dollars. It breaks down each question. Its how I passed

Can you tell me what it is called?

JDub

Forum Lieutenant
Took the test yesterday 01/17/12. Stopped at 68-70 (Can't really remember, know it wasn't more than 70.), took me 30 mins and I passed.

socalguy

Forum Ride Along
1st time 72 - Failed
2nd time 120- Failed
3rd time on 1/17/12 120 - Failed

Now I am having to pay and study for the 24hr refresher course. Will try number 4 in February. This test is very tricky.

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
1st time 72 - Failed
2nd time 120- Failed
3rd time on 1/17/12 120 - Failed

Now I am having to pay and study for the 24hr refresher course. Will try number 4 in February. This test is very tricky.

I was in the same boat as you. I think I had the exact same number of questions for each try. It's difficult to study though when you've got college to worry about.