Poll about our participants' military status

Click what applies to describe your military experience

• Male, current active duty, on or had a combat tour.

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • Male, former active duty, had a combat tour.

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Male, separated veteran with combat experience (comment on where/when please).

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Male, current active duty, no combat so far.

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • Male or female, going to join in next year.

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • Female, current active duty, on or had a combat tour.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Female, former active duty, had a combat tour.

• Female, separated veteran with combat experience (comment on where/when please).

• Female, current active duty, no combat so far.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I have a family member who is on or had a combat tour.

Votes: 19 28.8%

• Total voters

NepoZnati

Forum Crew Member
Stana Katic
Goran Visnjic

I am always amazed at the folks in war zones who continue to press on helping others, sometimes under fire, with so little.
(And amazed day to day how little we get done with so much).
Actors?! I do not know Goran Visnjic but I do know some of the actors who were with him in "Welcome to Sarajevo" (movie was talking about orphanage in my neighborhood, btw). He was great in that movie and I am very happy that he made it here... BTW, one of the first to made it at Hollywood from my country were: Rade Serbedzija (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, CSI: Miami, Quarantine, Battle in Seattle, Saint, etc) and Mira Furlan (LOST, Navy NCIS, Babylon 5)

NepoZnati

Forum Crew Member
But, I would like to turn your attention at this:

... He told of firefighters, many of them volunteers, fighting fires in raincoats and sneakers — while being shot at. Could you imagine? Fighting the fires was the least dangerous part of their job. Just trying to stay alive was the most challenging part. Despite the constant threat of Serbian gun and mortar fire, they perservered and did their jobs.

It turns out that the only thing bigger than John Jordan’s shoulders was his heart. We listened to their stories, embraced their mission and joined the relief effort and gained new friends in doing so. As a result of our exposure to this problem half-a-world away, we started a local relief effort for “Firefighters Under Fire.” We didn’t know much about the conflict or the politics of it all, nor did we care. It was just about helping fellow firefighters. It was just about the brotherhood.
http://tigerschmittendorf.com/2009/12/06/john-jordan-bosnia/

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Worthy of its own post.

tjbroussard

Forum Crew Member
For the poll...

Active Duty USAF Nurse 1987-2008 now retired.

Did time in ICU, Flight Nursing, HQ Staff work in Europe & the Pentagon, Med Surg, Field Training Sites, ERs, & Clinics. Crewed aeroevac missions into most all of Europe, the Azores, and Southwest Asia, and in a CZ for Bosnia & Kuwait (deployed).

Aim High...best job I ever had.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Who were you with in Zambo? And you too sixteen. My dad was there for OEF-P as the CJSOTF-P.

JSOTF...same as everyone else in that region. I was one of the flight medics...

Afflixion

Forum Captain
Army, finished my third deployment in September. Was a medic but just started in the IPAP a couple months ago.

HNcorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
Navy, active duty, Serving in Afghanistan on a Embedded Training Team...

HM3.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
3 years British Royal Air Force in the early 80's, no combat experience.

wolfwyndd

Forum Captain
Seperated US Army veteran, no combat experience, but was active and participated in Desert Shield/Storm as a REMF.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
We have a storehouse of experience and trainings here.

Good to hear,

Luno

OG
Premium Member
Former USAF active duty, currently Army National Guard

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
Retired from the Air Force after a wonderful 20 years. I was in Korea, Europe during Desert Shield/Storm (and we worked harder at Rhein Main than our deployed guys did in Oman!), Saudi x 5 (Eskan and PSAB, Al-Udeid in Qatar, Seeb, and a couple of places I was never at and I'm not supposed to talk about ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

RescueYou

Forum Lieutenant
Female and no combat yet, but I'm reserves though...