Police, firefighters lukewarm to 'ICE'

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Police, firefighters lukewarm to 'ICE' mobile-phone contacts

Leaving an emergency contact number in your cellular telephone for police or paramedics might buy some peace of mind and seems to make sense in the post-Sept. 11, 2001 world.

Local emergency responders said this week, however, they aren't ready to endorse the concept that has circled the country in chains of e-mails since last month's London subway bombings.

The idea, sent around in various forms as a forwarded message, urges cell phone users to program a contact number under the name "ICE" for In Case of Emergency. Responders to a chaotic scene such as a terrorist attack would be able to quickly find and contact a family member or someone else whom the victim would want to inform about the situation.

Read More!

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
I see and understand their doubts with this, but I really think it is a good idea. I agree that it wouldnt be any good in a MCI situation unless the phone is attached to the person. I've never called a persons family member on scene, but I have given information on how to reach a family member to a nurse, charge nurse, or a receptionist before. You should just as easily hand over the pts phone and direct the person to call the ICE contact.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I still think that ICE is a great thing. Again, it's not meant to be an all-in-one solution to anything. It's just another tool that can be used when an emergency occurs. It's also FREE!

vtemti

Forum Captain
I have many times contacted a parent on behalf of a minor.

Also, see the original ICE thread for a HIPAA implications article. I would put up another link, but I can't remember the URL at this time. Short term memory and old age ya know.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Our regional protocol is that EMS is not permitted to contact the family of any patient, even if that is a minor. It is the job of the State Police to make contacts after accidents, DOA's, MCI's, or in the case that a minor-child is injured or refusing to cooperate. Otherwise it is the responsibility of the hospital to make necessary contacts. EMS should not be calling people to say that they found their cell phone in an air plane crash, etc.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Okay, so let's say that PD and FD are "lukewarm" about this. Or taking whkr's comments, EMS never using it. Should they be bad mouthing this? Heck no. They should still be supporting it. Even though you/they may not be using it, someone might, and for good reasons.

Sure the EMT might not be calling Johnny's mother to tell him that Johnny broke his leg, but the nurse at the ED will. And if the EMT has a heart then he would want to make sure that Johnny's mom was called. If Johnny had ICE in his phone then the ED would know exactly who to call. (Of course this is all assuming for whatever reason Johnny couldn't tell anyone who to call.)

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Aug 9 2005, 12:33 PM
EMS should not be calling people to say that they found their cell phone in an air plane crash, etc.
I don't think anyone would do that. Unless the phone is attached to someone, you don't know who's it is. Therefore, why would you call the ICE contact?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I agree. why would any public safety official not want information to notify family ? Duh... Then they can quit asking me for a copy of the demographics of the patient chart ! Let them try to get information to notify the family.. it is harder than some think.. Like others has posted, it is used as an adjucnt.. not a total solution. Go figure a couple of civil service authorities trying to degrade something they did not think of...

Be safe,
Ridryder 911

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Aug 9 2005, 01:33 PM
Our regional protocol is that EMS is not permitted to contact the family of any patient, even if that is a minor. It is the job of the State Police to make contacts after accidents, DOA's, MCI's, or in the case that a minor-child is injured or refusing to cooperate. Otherwise it is the responsibility of the hospital to make necessary contacts. EMS should not be calling people to say that they found their cell phone in an air plane crash, etc.
I've called parents of minors a few times... I've got a car full of 17 year olds who don't want or need to go to the ED, but the cant legally refuse....

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Aug 9 2005, 05:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Aug 9 2005, 05:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR@Aug 9 2005, 01:33 PM
I've called parents of minors a few times... I've got a car full of 17 year olds who don't want or need to go to the ED, but the cant legally refuse.... [/b][/quote]
In that situation of having a minor or does not need, nor want to go to the hospital we do call parents/guardians. But ICE really wouldnt be needed for that because you could just ask Billy Bob Joe to get his parents on the phone.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Aug 9 2005, 05:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Aug 9 2005, 05:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR@Aug 9 2005, 01:33 PM
I've called parents of minors a few times... I've got a car full of 17 year olds who don't want or need to go to the ED, but the cant legally refuse.... [/b][/quote]
We make the state police tell them that they have to go. :p It's not like we strap them down, cut all their clothes off and send them in a full trauma alert. We just take the to the ER to wait for their parents. Why should we have to wait on scene for over an hour for all of their parents to arrive?