piercings and tattoos

Sasha

Forum Chief
Yup. Mine was out before I started EMT school, thanks to a laparoscopic appendectomy during which I had to take it out anyway, and, a week later, when I could bend over again, the hole had closed.

I took mine out because I liked to wear the pretty dangly ones not the barbell looking ones, and one too many times I'd gotten it tugged because the stretcher or something pushed up against my stomach, so I decided to take it out before it got caught and torn out.

Kookaburra

Forum Lieutenant
But living in SoCal, it seemed like half the females there had a nose stud.

Ha ha, I went to college in Santa Barbara, CA, and I was definitely "the weird one" on campus there because I have no tattoos or piercings other than the standard one in the earlobe.

BruceD

Forum Lieutenant
Policy will differ between jobs and I'm no expert on policy. Just remember, in an emergency situation:
1. You have a very small amount of time to gain the trust of the people on scene. Beware of anything that might inhibit interactions with others.

2. Any scene can be dangerous, excess metals can provide conduction points for electricity or an extra object to get hung up in an extrication or even a handhold for an agitated patient.

3. Anything you wear can be a fomite for something really nasty.

4. No matter how well attached, murphy's law happens. You sure don't want to have an ear or tongue ring drop when you are trying to intubate.

I'm sure you knew all this, my main point would be to do what is best for you and your patients, even if it's more restrictive tjan policy

RielHalfbreed

Forum Probie
Personally, if you come to me with either tattoos or piercings visible, I am probably going to politely drop your resume into the trash, as I consider it a form of disrespect to me to show up like that. I don't need a written policy to do that.

I'm thankful that my service would never allow someone with this narrow minded intolerant view of people to end up in ANY kind of supervisory position. We're big on competence, not appearance.

As for gaining the trust of people on scene, if you don't trust me you can always wait for the next rig...

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I'm thankful that my service would never allow someone with this narrow minded intolerant view of people to end up in ANY kind of supervisory position. We're big on competence, not appearance.

As for gaining the trust of people on scene, if you don't trust me you can always wait for the next rig...

It's good to see you are all about the needs of the patient. :rolleyes:

If you don't care enough to properly groom and present yourself as a professional, there is a good chance your skills will be equally sloppy.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief

Wow.. now there's a testimonial for how to put the patient's needs first.

On a scene, it's not about you. It's not about your right to express yourself as you see fit, it's not about your desire to decorate your body with ink, metal or T-shirts with sassy EMS sayings.

Competence is not just measured by your skill set. Competence is also showing enough maturity and professionalism to know when your particular choices regarding your appearances are less important. Different employers in different capacities are going to hire people based on their own particular set of standards. Some of these will limit the length of your hair, the presence or absence of facial hair, make-up, hairstyle, dress, physical appearance.. .and all sorts of other ACLU offending personal choices.

Those of us who are grownups know that while we have the absolute unalienable right to dress however we like, when we are asking someone else to give us money to perform a job, we decide which is more important, the job, or the appearance issue.

I have nothing personal against ink or metal adornments. They do not offend me in any way. I do not have any, but more because I'm too frugal than too uptight. There are nurses in our local ER who have varying degrees of body art. However, when it comes to the patient, most of our patients are elderly, many are in varying stages of dementia or other mental impairment. I believe that adjusting my appearance so I don't scare the patients is a non issue. The back of an ambulance, during a major life threatening health event is not the time to teach the patient about expanding their tolerance levels.

Those who get all offended and defensive over something so silly and easily dealt with tells me volumes about their maturity level and their ability to put others first. As an employer, I would have less of an issue with someone with all kinds of body art, piercings etc who says... "Sure, I can cover them up" than I would with someone with a small tat or piercing who is all defensive about it. The issue is not the art, but the attitude.

Appearance is part of competence.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I'm thankful that my service would never allow someone with this narrow minded intolerant view of people to end up in ANY kind of supervisory position. We're big on incompetence, not professional appearance.

There fixed it for you. And actually you will find professionals will not even if the policy does not require it make sure tats are covered and jewelry is left at home. A professional understands much of their job is about patient comfort and many older and even many younger people still look at tats and piercings as left for bad people.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Medicine is its own culture

"If you don't know what you are doing, at least look like you do."

As always many of the regular contributers like AJ, Vent, Bossy, and Saph have summed up the issue quite well, but permit me to add perspective.

First addressing waiting for the next rig.

For my part I regard treating patients as one of the greatest honors that can be bestowed upon a person. It is truly a priviledge, not a right. For a patient, to allow another person to come to you in their moment of need, and allow that person access to your body and most intimate details, is not to be taken lightly.

You must not only gain trust, but inspire confidence as well. I don't have anything against body art or the like, but factually it is a matter of culture. I found it benefits patient care to be culturally as neutral as possible. You don't know if your next patient will be the at the local nightclub or the most conservative community leader in your town. Happy patients are less likely to sue than angry patients. If you look the part both you and your patients will be better served. Doesn't get much better than Win/Win.

The perspective I wanted to add...

When you are part of a medical field, you are placed at a level above society to act in the benefit of man. (The next time you have to make a decision for an unconscious or against the will of a patient, keep that in mind) It is not part of the position to demand respect for your cultural subset. There are professional standards that have been agreed upon by those in the profession for many years. If you do not agree, then you are not forced to participate. In addition, whether you like it or not, your patients are your employer. They have demands and you have a responsibility to live up to them as best you can.

Nobody ever says "that one paramedic" was a jerk or incompetent. They identify the group. "The paramedics that showed up scared me." Please have some pride in what you do as well as promoting the respect of others who share your title.

Are you ever really off work? Once your neighbors and community identify you as a healthcare worker, everything you do gets unfairly put under a microscope. But life isn't fair. (one more reason not to wear EMS t-shirts)

"To whom much is given much is required."
(can't remember where i heard that but it seems true)

If this all sounds like something you don't want to deal with or be part of, there are always other career choices.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

Ne need in applying in about 40 states. Ever seen news anchors or Senators etc with nose piercing? It's called professionalism demeanor.

Guess what, I prefer not to have someone that has poor respect of their body to treat mine like what?

If you want such attention that's fine, just don't expect to be employed in a professional position.

R/ r911

RielHalfbreed

Forum Probie
If you want such attention that's fine, just don't expect to be employed in a professional position.

R/ r911

Fascinating, yet I'm an ops manager in a medium service and don't even remotely share the above opinions. Good to see things are changing. BTW some senators/congressmen do have body art, especially those who have completed military service. As for regarding patient care as a priority, hey thats why we all got into this line of work. However if you call for EMS and they arrive and you decide that your "cultural reservations" are more important than your injury/illness, power to you thats your choice. This isn't McDonald's were all qualified to be here. In this area we have a large contingent of aged patients that have a problem with black and native canadian attendants. Should dispatch have a comfort questionnaire as part of their protocol?:rolleyes: I'm going to go with no, if you don't like who shows up I maintain call back and they'll be happy to send out another unit.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
BTW some senators/congressmen do have body art, especially those who have completed military service.
Good luck finding one who freely displayed their tattoos while running for office. They know better. You should too.

And I am offended by your insinuation that military veterans all have tattoos.

RielHalfbreed

Forum Probie
Good luck finding one who freely displayed their tattoos while running for office. They know better. You should too.

And I am offended by your insinuation that military veterans all have tattoos.

Get real, there was no such insinuation.

Caroline Kennedy prior to removing her name from the new york senate race displayed the small butterfly tattoo'd on the inside of her arm:
caroline_kennedy_120908.jpg

“I’m thinking about getting a tat of Reagan’s face,” said Congressman John Shadegg, “Nothing too outlandish, just the Gipper and with Reagan 21 motto of integrity, principle, and freedom next to it – maybe in Old English script.”

Would you trust these people:
040714tattoos.jpg

policeman-with-tattoos.jpg

spaceball.gif

tattoo.jpg

englandsoldiertattooye1.jpg

image_5234898.jpg

300px-Marine_tattoo.jpg

Or the people sporting these:

fire-fighter-badge-tattoo-M.jpg

Nurse-RN-tattoo-75343.jpeg

I would and so should you, because one day they might be the one to save your a$$... B)

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Yeah, that's what I want working on me! Someone that feels that they have to make a statement. If you noticed that all LEO were wearing long sleeves rolled up, as well as the physician has to cover his too. Your choice, want to wear one with long sleeves and the temp >100 degrees don't b-itch about it.

You might be an ops mgr, so titles don't impress me. I am one too, required wear shirt & tie most of the time, to be presentable to professionals. Sorry, I outgrew the "making a statement" mode long time ago.

Just don't even waste your time applying if you have visable tatts.

R/r 911

Sasha

Forum Chief
Fascinating, yet I'm an ops manager in a medium service and don't even remotely share the above opinions. Good to see things are changing. BTW some senators/congressmen do have body art, especially those who have completed military service. As for regarding patient care as a priority, hey thats why we all got into this line of work. However if you call for EMS and they arrive and you decide that your "cultural reservations" are more important than your injury/illness, power to you thats your choice. This isn't McDonald's were all qualified to be here. In this area we have a large contingent of aged patients that have a problem with black and native canadian attendants. Should dispatch have a comfort questionnaire as part of their protocol?:rolleyes: I'm going to go with no, if you don't like who shows up I maintain call back and they'll be happy to send out another unit.

You are there for the patient, the patient isn't there for you. Anything that you can reasonably control to make them more comfortable, you should. Being black or canadian is something that people can't control. Your piercings and tattoos, you can.

Have the tattoos all you want, but COVER them. It's not that hard, sweets, it really isn't. Take the piercings out, if you can't take them out, cover them.

Someone's home during their emergency is not the place for your self expression, it is not the place to make them feel insecure with your multiple piercings and tattoos. It is the place to establish an air of professionalism, let them think that they're being taken care of someone that they can trust, that's mature enough to handle it.

Senators with ink aren't coming into a person's home in the midst of a possibly life ending event. It doesn't matter what the call is, to the caller it is an emergency and you are visiting them at a vulnerable time. Take notice, that both cops in those pictures look to have their shirt sleeve rolled up. The doctor is wearing a lab coat. The first military man appears to have his shirt sleeve pushed up. Notice the people in the back ground of the second? Long sleeves. Seems he took his shirt off. Miss Kennedy's is small and not attention grabbing. Honestly, in the picture you can't tell if it's a butterfly or a bruise.

No one is forcing you to be in EMS. If self expression is more important to you than a patient's comfort level, there's always barber school.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
If we're going to put an outright ban on tattoos and piercings, why not take it a step further and say no jewelry period. After all an EMS responders cross, star of david, pentagram, LDS ring or Masons ring etc could offend a patient also. But if that becomes the policy, people will start to cry about their religious freedoms being taken away.

Blanket bans aren't good policy. While outward appearance is important, it's absurd to discount a potentially excellent Medic or EMT based solely on one aspect of their appearance.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Blanket bans aren't good policy. While outward appearance is important, it's absurd to discount a potentially excellent Medic or EMT based solely on one aspect of their appearance.

Services have a right to choose how they want their company represented. If that means no visible jewelry besides one stud in each earlobe for a female, wedding ring and watch, then that is their right.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
If we're going to put an outright ban on tattoos and piercings, why not take it a step further and say no jewelry period. After all an EMS responders cross, star of david, pentagram, LDS ring or Masons ring etc could offend a patient also. But if that becomes the policy, people will start to cry about their religious freedoms being taken away.

But, if you want to work in certain areas of healthcare, blanket bans are appropriate. This applies in many NICUs, PICUs and SICUs where no jewely is allowed above the waist or anywhere visible below the waist. Long sleeves are not worn and there is a policy for no visible tatoos. So, any RT, RN or even MD that is thinking about working in one of these units, they will be disappointed. But, they do have the choice to work in an area that is less strict or become an EMT and work for RielHalfbreed's company where the patient's safety or comfort is not a priority. As also ready stated by RielHalfbreed:
Again, healthcare is about the patient and not the vanity of the provider.

There have been many aspiring politicians and celebs that have gone to great expense to have their tats removed becasue they know what it does to their public image for the majority of people they represent. I have even had the chance to ask them why and they will say the tatoo is not who they are anymore and it doesn't give a good impression on those they want to represent. I've also seen many tatoos on patients during assessments and find some patients are more embarrassed by their tatoos being seen then their naked body. People change. What might have been a good time at 18 may not look that good at 30.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
But those rules are not just social rules, those are done for patient health and safety. Perfumes can exacerbate respiratory problems and allergies, and jewelry can harbor bacteria.

As I said before, if we are really and truly concerned with the patients comfort level with their provider we would ban all religious symbols to prevent someone from being offended their provider is a different religion. We would also require that all ambulances had both a female and male paramedic on them to ensure that a patient could be examined by the provider of their choice. We would require that all women have long hair, because that is traditional, and short hair on a woman could offend an elderly patient. We would require that all men have short hair for the same reason.

We aren't going to be able to make every single patient happy all of the time. Knowing that I would rather work with a good partner who has an old tattoo than work with some idiot who happened to fit the company image.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
But those rules are not just social rules, those are done for patient health and safety. Perfumes can exacerbate respiratory problems and allergies, and jewelry can harbor bacteria.

Are you saying EMS is just a social gathering? EMS should not be concerned about the patient's safety and health? Why shouldn't EMS be considered a medical profession and preserve the same patient issues as others? Why shouldn't EMS also present themselves as professionals?

You don't think other health professionals wear jewelry that designates their religious beliefs? They remove it or pin it inside a pocket to where it is still on their person but out of sight. They make the adjustments, not the patient. You don't think one of the nursing unions wouldn't have squawked loudly. They understand issues when it involves direct patient care. Rarely do we have any problem asking a professional who is well educated in accepting and protecting the rights of others. This is, of course, another argument for more education for the EMS provider since emotions more than logic or understanding rules for many in this profession. The other issue is some got into EMS and didn't realize there was patient care involved as well as that part about acting like a professional in public. Other professionals have had this presented to them from the day they interview for a healthcare program.

As I said before, if we are really and truly concerned with the patients comfort level with their provider we would ban all religious symbols to prevent someone from being offended their provider is a different religion. We would also require that all ambulances had both a female and male paramedic on them to ensure that a patient could be examined by the provider of their choice. We would require that all women have long hair, because that is traditional, and short hair on a woman could offend an elderly patient. We would require that all men have short hair for the same reason.

Elderly people also accept a female who has their hair tied up or even in a bun. My grandmother wore a bun or tied her hair up and it did not offend her friends who wore their hair in a similar fashion. Many from that generation also wore their hair short enough for a stylish perm with the teased look. Rarely will you see an older woman wearing long hair down on their shoulders. Many services require of men that wear long hair to put it up and off the collar. Try to go through a fire, PD academy or even a good EMS or healthcare school with hair touching your collar, male or female.

Sasha

Forum Chief
would require that all women have long hair, because that is traditional, and short hair on a woman could offend an elderly patient.

Funnily enough, I rarely see an elderly person with long hair. It's usually poofy and short, ala this:
250px-Hair_12.jpg