piercings and tattoos

yogakat

Forum Probie
so...as i prepare to start school, i am thinking...what are the policies regarding piercings and tattoos? I don't think that my tattoos would show when i'm in uniform...but i do have piercings in my nostril and in my tragus...i love my piercings and don't want to remove them...what are the views on these 'body adornments' where you work?

so far, my piercings have not made me think weird, irrational thoughts or have the desire to do naughty things...tho that could be fun...they just kind of sit there.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
so far, my piercings have not made me think weird, irrational thoughts or have the desire to do naughty things...tho that could be fun...they just kind of sit there.

What matters is what your future employers and patients will think.

Often the school will address all of their policies before you start. They may be rather detailed in how their want their students to look in the professional world. Jewelry of all types may be limited for infection control and safety reasons as well as good appearances.

Last edited by a moderator:

motownems

Forum Probie
This seems to be an issue where there is not one set answer. For instance, at my volly service visible tattoos are allowed so long as they "are in good taste". However I have heard that several paid services do not allow visible tattoos. As far as piecing at my volly service; in general ears are okay for females however piecing of any sort are discouraged for males.

My personal opinion on the subject is that your personal appearance should reflect professionalism (even if your a volly). As such tattoos should not be visible; and piercings should be a no-go with the exception of women who have there ears pieced.

From what you described, your tattoo is probably ok (depending what it is of). However your piercings will most likely have to go.

tydek07

Forum Captain
Straight from our policy book:

II. JEWELRY
No jewelry shall be visible except for the following:
A. Wrist watch
B. Finger rings (one per hand)
C. Females may wear post earrings in ears only (up to three earrings
per ear)
D. Medic Alert bracelets

III. MISCELLANEOUS
A. For safety reasons extreme length of fingernails are not permitted.
B. Conservative use of cologne or perfume only.
C. Visible tattoos need to be conservative and at the discretion of
the organization. The tattoo needs to be covered by the uniform.

But remember, these are our policies. Every company is going to have their own. Some will allow tattoos, some will not. Some will allow both female and male to have piercing, some will only allow females, and some will allow neither.

No one is going to be able to answer your question to the fullest. You will just have to ask the company(s) that you want to work for.

Take Care,
tydek

OP
OP
Y

yogakat

Forum Probie
i have two tattoos on my back (both small) and one on each ankle...so unless i had to disrobe on scene, i don't think that anyone would ever see them

i have two pierces on one ear...standard pierce and tragus

i have four pierces in the other...on standard, two above it, on on top in cartilage

normally the only peirces that i wear are the tragus and the cartilage (both small plain hoops) which can only be removed with a tool...so they are always in

my nostril pierce is a screw with a small cz stud (small enough that it looks like a speck of glitter on my nose)

all of my pierces are small, nondescript and solid gold...nothing weird or flashy

i have yet to have any employer or client comment negatively against them and have not had any pierce affect my ability to act professionally

medic417

The Truth Provider
All tats covered.
No more than 1 earing per ear.
No more than 1 ring total.

No other visible piercings.

Sasha

Forum Chief
i have two tattoos on my back (both small) and one on each ankle...so unless i had to disrobe on scene, i don't think that anyone would ever see them

i have two pierces on one ear...standard pierce and tragus

i have four pierces in the other...on standard, two above it, on on top in cartilage

normally the only peirces that i wear are the tragus and the cartilage (both small plain hoops) which can only be removed with a tool...so they are always in

my nostril pierce is a screw with a small cz stud (small enough that it looks like a speck of glitter on my nose)

all of my pierces are small, nondescript and solid gold...nothing weird or flashy

i have yet to have any employer or client comment negatively against them and have not had any pierce affect my ability to act professionally

At the service I used to work at, the fire services I've ridden with, and my school the policy was if you have a tattoo that's visible, cover it. A piercing you refuse to take out that isn't "standard ear" studs must be covered with a bandaid.

My navel piercing was discovered while I was the patient in one of the assesment scenarios at school, and they made me cover it with a bandaid from then on until I decided to take it out permanently, too.

Check with the local EMS agencies in your area, though, first to get their policy, as you likely wont be working at my old agency, tydek's agency, etc, and we can only answer for our own experiences.

VentMedic

Forum Chief

Are you already employed in a medical profession?

You can act however but the way you dress, groom and overall appearance may make the first impression.

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
What you have to remember the first impression that you give a patient, their loved ones and friends. There is a ever growing elderly population that strongly believe the emergency services,fire, law enforcement and ems should present themselves in a certain way. Part of the job is to represent your service, even as a student. On your days off one can dress and wear whatever body jewerly they want.

Another reason for removeing such items is also for safety reasons, I have known a few folks over the years that have been injuried by patients because those patients got a hold of earrings and tore earlobes, not to mention the infections resulting from that injury.

Something to think about.......... ;)

OP
OP
Y

yogakat

Forum Probie
Are you already employed in a medical profession?

You can act however but the way you dress, groom and overall appearance may make the first impression.

nope, not in the medical field

i'm a yoga instructor...i work at various facilities as well as leasing my own space

i have many clients who attend at their doctor's recomendation or referral, so staying professional in attitude and appearance is important

staying on top of the latest medical yoga-related information is imperative...i've invested well over 1,000 hours in trainings and would not do anything to jeopardize either the health of my clients or my own reputation...i carry my own insurance and am licensed...i have my own personal clients fill out waivers that include medical history, medications, etc...i am very serious about what i do

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
My company's policy is no visible tattoos, one earring per ear, studs preferred, but small hoops are ok, and no facial piercings.

I've noticed however that if you don't draw attention to your piercing, people tend to not worry about it. I have my tongue pierced and wear a clear barbell and balls, which makes it pretty hard to see unless I stick my tongue out. Thus far no one has even mentioned they've seen it, so I'm not going to worry about it.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I forgot no tongue jewelry allowed. To often makes person harder to understand and offends some of the older patients.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
This is going to be agency specific. Some have no issue with it, others are very conservative. Best to find out which is which before dressing for your interview with them.

OP
OP
Y

yogakat

Forum Probie
What you have to remember the first impression that you give a patient, their loved ones and friends. There is a ever growing elderly population that strongly believe the emergency services,fire, law enforcement and ems should present themselves in a certain way. ;)

one of my specialties is working with older adults...i have one class that i've been running for about four years now and the ages are about 75-85...no one has ever said anything to me about my piercings/tattoos (with what i wear to teach, they can see my ankles) and i've never brought it up...they are a fabulous group and i treat them with the respect and care that they deserve...

i see what you are saying, tho

from my experince, if you ignore these things then clients are likely to ignore them as well (at least if you are not wearing a huge barbell in your nose :rolleyes:)

Sasha

Forum Chief
one of my specialties is working with older adults...i have one class that i've been running for about four years now and the ages are about 75-85...no one has ever said anything to me about my piercings/tattoos (with what i wear to teach, they can see my ankles) and i've never brought it up...they are a fabulous group and i treat them with the respect and care that they deserve...

from my experince, if you ignore these things then clients are likely to ignore them as well (at least if you are not wearing a huge barbell in your nose :rolleyes:)

Keep in mind, your clients come to you willingly, you're not entering their home because they're having an emergency. People tend to get judgemental when they're in distress and a professional appearance goes a long way.

VentMedic

Forum Chief

As Sasha already very clearly stated, there is a different expectation.

To be perfectly honest, many elderly people are not going to walk up to people on the street who have multiple tatoos and piercings to ask for directions. They don't even need to be elderly to be more cautious around some groups. There is still a stereotyped amount of fear this appearance brings snd rightfully so sometimes. It the patients are in an altered state, your appearance may cause them more anxiety and will probably not instill much confidence in your level of care regardless of how good you state to be.

Tatoos may say alot about a person's life even if they declare that is not who they are anymore. Some almost read like an autobiography. Prison and gang tatoos are also noticed during an ED assessment and may determine the level of security needed when assigning a bed. It is not singling one out as prejudice but merely ensuring safety. Healthcare workers that are employed in city hospitals usually get training for this recognition.

Since you have posted this question about tatoos/piercings and have spent time trying to justify that your tatoos/piercings are not unprofessional, you probably already know the agruments being presented.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Kat, you've gotten a lot of responses. Again, agency specific, but, where I work, visible tattoos MUST be covered (they don't really care what they are, they MUST be covered, we have some people with nice looking elaborate sleeves, who wear long sleeve shirts year round to cover them), piercings are generally tasteful studs in the ears. Non standard piercings are generally asked to have clear jewelry (your cartilage rings, and nasal would probably be ok). Navel rings are not regulated as far as I know (but, if I still had mine, it would have been torn out, more than once).

BTW, Kat, I do have tattoos, and I used to have piercings, I'm not opposed to people who have them, but, I DO understand how the general public tends to perceive people with them. I also know, that even though I have/had these things, when I roll up first on, and my pt is all tatted and pierced, I'm more weary, I don't leave my partner for anything, unless I can still hear/see him from where I'm going, and, I'm praying (weird, for an agnostic) that fire gets there soon.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Navel rings are not regulated as far as I know (but, if I still had mine, it would have been torn out, more than once).

That's why I decided to take mine out permanently.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
That's why I decided to take mine out permanently.

Yup. Mine was out before I started EMT school, thanks to a laparoscopic appendectomy during which I had to take it out anyway, and, a week later, when I could bend over again, the hole had closed.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
So far, my piercings have not made me think weird, irrational thoughts or have the desire to do naughty things...
You have to accept that many people may believe that the simple fact that you had your body modified with tattoos and piercings is itself evidence of irrational thoughts and naughty things. Therefore, that excuse is going to be a little hard to float past them.

Most agencies I have worked for had policies similar to those already quoted, prohibiting visible piercings, other than ear studs, and limiting tattos to those not visible in uniform. Attitudes tend to vary by region though. Facial piercings are relatively uncommon in areas of Florida and Texas I have lived in. But living in SoCal, it seemed like half the females there had a nose stud. Consequently, you may find significant variations in policies. Although, policies in a nationwide company like AMR will be consistent, as will policies in most public agencies. Personally, if you come to me with either tattoos or piercings visible, I am probably going to politely drop your resume into the trash, as I consider it a form of disrespect to me to show up like that. I don't need a written policy to do that.