Phone Auto-deny, auto-reply single button Application

burnsmh

Forum Crew Member
I was curious if anyone knew of an application that you could press one button on your phone and it would set up an auto-reply message via text, auto-deny calls and put your phone on silent or vibrate.

I am a volunteer probie at the fire station and when I go on calls my family might try to call me or text me or something could go down...I don't always have time or remember to set all my settings to vibrate auto-reply and deny calls...Is there an application you guys know of that would be able to do that?

Thanks.

OP
OP
burnsmh

burnsmh

Forum Crew Member
What is this...Off? I haven't heard of such an application

OP
OP
burnsmh

burnsmh

Forum Crew Member
No, but seriously. The reason I was hoping for an all in one is that the different applications I have inform my family where I am so they don't assume the worst or worry about me. Like if they text me they get an auto-reply or maybe an alternate voicemail message that says, "AUTO RESPONSE AT 911 CALL WILL GET BACK TO YOU SOON" or something. Whereas if it was off they could keep calling or texting and never get a hold of me and not know where I am. Being that I work a couple of towns over where violence is commonplace and there is construction and traffic every 5 miles where accidents happen all the time.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Off..Airplane mode...turn the phone to "mute" so it doesn't even vibrate...simply leave it in the truck or at station are also great ways to avoid having it go off when you're in front of a patient....

Now the bigger issue is your family apparently can't tolerate you being at their beck and call every time they decide to chit chat? Do they not have jobs? EMS is hardly the only job where you're not supposed to be taking personal calls every few minutes....

Why do you need a specific "I'm at a 911 call" message? What do you do when you get a call/text while driving? What if you're at the movies? Quality time with your significant other/first date? Etc etc etc?

You're an adult with adult responsibilities. Have an adult conversation with your family. Tell them you're fine and you don't need to check in every 5 min.

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
If you have an iPhone, you can turn on location tracking for specific people. Then they’ll at least know where you are. Or at least where your phone is.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Or just switch it to vibrate. There's times when you're not with the patient, like walking to the front of the truck to leave the scene, where you can check it real quick to see if it's an emergency.

RebelAngel

White Cloud
It takes about as long to hit a "reject" or "send to voice mail" button as it does to turn phone on vibrate before a call/shift. It is also much more professional to not let everyone (patients and your superiors) hear your phone going off, even if you ignore. Just start remembering to put your phone on vibrate, it's that simple.

My family knows that if they call and I don't answer to text me or facebook message me. It's a lot easier to check texts really quick between things than to see someone called and to have to listen to voice mail or call them back. I usually don't have, or won't take, time to do that. I set very clear boundaries with my family and they know when I'm "working" to leave me alone.

As far as phones specifically, I have a Droid Maxx. I have Motorola Assist that will check my calendar and silence my phone automatically during the meetings. I don't have an issue remembering to put my phone on vibrate though and that's not a feature I find useful.

OP
OP
burnsmh

burnsmh

Forum Crew Member
Now the bigger issue is your family apparently can't tolerate you being at their beck and call every time they decide to chit chat? Do they not have jobs? EMS is hardly the only job where you're not supposed to be taking personal calls every few minutes....

EMS is not my job, my job is a network engineer at an I.T. firm.

EMS is a volunteer position for me, so if I am on my way home from work in bad traffic areas or through a bad part of town that recently put under a special brand of law not used in over 20 years for gang violence and I don't respond or have an auto-respond up they might fear for me or get worried if I take a call on route home. The only option I have is to set the auto-reply or call them before hand and make sure they don't keep blowing up my phone, not get a response and call each other and flip out. Not saying that HAS or WILL happen but it is something we've discussed and the best solution is the auto reply thing...But it's not an efficient application, hence why I asked if anyone knew of a good one.