Phone app/field guide

SarahAus

Forum Probie
Hi all!

I'm just starting out my EMT training, and just got an email with links for EMS field guides and phone apps.

(D'oh - apparently I don't have enough posts to put up the specific links!)

How useful are these kind of things for studying/working? Does anyone have a preference for field guides vs. apps? Is there another that you'd recommend?

Thanks!

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Epocrates is the best thing on my phone.

krtemt

Forum Crew Member
Epocrates is awesome. I also have eMedic on my iPhone. eMedic is great, it contains a bunch of algorithms, plus acronyms and anatomy diagrams. Downside is the eMedic app is 20 dollars.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients

Definitely.

In an attempt to become truly paperless, I keep a note of all the calls for the day instead of paper, with the dispatch info, and anything I should write in the log book and then copy it before I go to bed, or before I go home.

Wikipedia is very helpful, and when I'm really stumped on navigation, I use Google Maps.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I have 911 Toolkit which I mostly use the ERG and NIOSH guide, but it has many other features.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/911-toolkit-firefighter-emt/id316120859?mt=8

Visible Body is a very detailed 3D anatomy app, but it is 10 bucks.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/visible-body-for-iphone-4/id487387965?mt=8

Skyscape
Medical app
An invaluable clinical decision-support tool for physicians, nurses, students and other HCPs.

Included for free:
• OCM: clinical resource covering over 850 topics
• RxDrugs: comprehensive drug guide
• Medical calculators, alerts and more
http://www.skyscape.com/index/home.aspx?WT.mc_id=55551&gclid=CNbvur-sn7ICFWdxQgodZAwAsw

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

Agreed. I've been known to look up every med on a patient's history during long transports. Or if I keep seeing something I'll right it down in a note and then look up after the call. Knowing the common drugs that many nursing home patients are on helps me a ton with getting a history if one is not written down well or the staff is unhelpful.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Here's mine.
u2a8amem.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346884351.750579.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346884351.750579.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 233

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
I first bought the ERG app, but when I bought the 911 toolkit I discovered it had the ERG built in plus the NIOSH guide. Errr

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Here's mine.

I've got PPP, epocrates and the same Dopamine calculator. Along with that also I have APGAR pro, WISER, a CFN app to find gas seeing as every time I'm out of area I need to find fuel, and Instant ECG.

I'm going to have to check some of those you've got out, n7.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Acid Remap according to iTunes. It's called Paramedic Protocol Provider.

It's like $10 but it's worth it. Automatically updates your protocols as long as your agency is included in the list, and they have a pretty large list.

My only complaint is not being able to write a note and attach it to each individual protocol.

sir.shocksalot

Forum Captain
I'll also recommend epocrates, by far the best app for healthcare providers. There is just no way to remember every med out there, epocrates takes away that headache. It also doesnt require an Internet connection, which is a must for AT&T subscribers.

Tom from 12-lead EKG blog recently put out an app for EKGs. I'm going to download it tonight and try it out. I really enjoy his blog so I'm hoping his app is pretty good too.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Acid Remap according to iTunes. It's called Paramedic Protocol Provider.

It's like $10 but it's worth it. Automatically updates your protocols as long as your agency is included in the list, and they have a pretty large list.

My only complaint is not being able to write a note and attach it to each individual protocol.

It's a great app. Our new protocol update has already been entered.

I also find I use the Micromedix drug app more than epocrates. Try it, you may like it better. (I do)

Pepid is great for Toxidromes and ODs. Other than that, I find I don't use the others much.

Last edited by a moderator:

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
I got a few but also see if they have apps for your state and perhaps local protocols. I used to studied my NYC protocols on my phone on way to rotations on the train. Saved me from looking stupid a few times.

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
I got a few but also see if they have apps for your state and perhaps local protocols. I used to studied my NYC protocols on my phone on way to rotations on the train. Saved me from looking stupid a few times.

Squad51

Forum Crew Member
Check out Rapid STEMI (Great for students just learning 12 leads.), Burn Calc (Calculates your Parkland burn formula.) and Stroke Track too. Stroke Track takes a minute to input data but is interesting because it calculates percentage of a favorable outcome with vs. without TPA based on pt's data.

owurman

Forum Ride Along

Hi NVRob,
You should be able to make notes for each individual protocol. On iOS it's the notes tab on the bottom (although it's not obvious, it shows notes for that particular protocol). On Android you should long-press to get the context menu.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

-Oded (the developer)

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Thanks for pointing that out, Oded! Haven't had to mess with the notes function, but I love the app. Definitely good to know that the notes do stay with the individual protocol you type them in.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Is PPP just for ALS?