Personal Kits

bryncvp

Forum Lieutenant
In an effort not to sound like a whacker......

Do any of you carry personal kits in your cars? Perhaps a BLS jump kit??

If you do, what do you suggest you keep in it? Any specific type of bag you suggest?

Thoughts?

EMTtoBE

Forum Crew Member
I would just use a basic first responder kit...anything else is just to much,no BVM or airway adjuncts lol

lampnyter

Forum Captain
i do, i just have basic stuff like gloves, gauze pads, bandaids and kravats. i think i also have the ice packs you activate

zmedic

Forum Captain
Most important thing to keep in your car is safety equipment if you think you might stop at an accident (or if you break down). Things in my car:

Flares
Safety vest
basic first aid kit
leather gardening gloves
Small fire extinguisher (overkill I know, but wanted one for home and Cosco had a cheap two pack)

Also I'd think about leaving some clothing in the car if you roll around the summer in flip flops and shorts. Maybe a pair of old sneakers and a pair of track pants so if on scene you don't get cut up. (again, useful if you have an accident, break down and need to walk etc) Some cheap goggles for eye protection would be good both for a wreck and if you need to work on your engine.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I have... Israeli bandage, sport quikclot, several cravats, some 4x4s, some 2x2s, an ace wrap. Notice no gloves? Yea that's cause it doesn't get used on anyone but me :) I actually don't really have anythign in my truck except for that little kit and the flares, gloves, and extinguisher that zmedic pointed out. And those are only in there cause some of the groups I go on trail runs with require each rig to have em

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
So I use this one... but only if I am taking a short trip to the Post Office or WalMart... otherwise I carry the big pack on me... j/k... :p I make my sherpa carry it... He has a hard time keeping up with the car, but I have no place to put him and the bag with all the equipment for the lights and sirens, not to mention the mobile iron lung and neurosurgical suite I carry in my POV... :unsure:

IMG_6392%20web.jpg

And now they all wonder: "Is he kiding?"

Last edited by a moderator:

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
I have a pretty basic kit, but probably more than I should have, in my car. I volunteered at a school for a while and it was (mostly) provided for me. Oh, plus I keep some ibuprofin in my backpack that I take to work, only for me though, when I get headaches, they're bad.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
In the case that has my jumper cables, flares, emergency blanket, flashlight and hi-vis vest I have some gloves and basic first aid stuff. No more than you'd find under the average bathroom sink. The kit's more designed for my own roadside emergencies than anyone else's; though I did stop and help an old lady who tripped and split her lip and broke her nose a week ago. Appreciated having the gauze then.

Cawolf86

Forum Captain
I carry some gloves and the first aid kit that came with my car - bandaids, tape, alcohol wipes, and gauze.

reidnez

Forum Crew Member
Most important is CPR mask and gloves. Sorry, but I'm not touching anyone without protecting myself first. Other than that, I just have a CAT tourniquet, gauze and Celox. Basically, CPR and massive bleeds are all I would ever attempt to address as a bystander, so that is all I am going to prepare for. Anything else, the ambulance will be there soon enough or it's beyond my abilities anyway.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I make my sherpa carry it...

I have seriously considered hiring an ese to be my sherpa for SAR trainings. Just because it would be awesome and baffle the newbs.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
I have seriously considered hiring an ese to be my sherpa for SAR trainings. Just because it would be awesome and baffle the newbs.

In my world Newbs are Sherpas. I like newbs... so eager to please... :p

livewiremaxx

Forum Crew Member
I have the airmedic bls kit. Nice, small - has a bit of everything in it. But then I also respond POV to calls in my area so nice to have somehting basic with me.

zmedic

Forum Captain
About the CPR masks, I'm becoming less and less inclined to carry them. From the research that is coming out it seems pretty clear that what is important is compressions. I wouldn't be surprised if in the next CPR guidelines it goes to continuous compressions until intubated. So if I have to do bystander CPR I might not even be doing respirations.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Duct tape. It fixes everything.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
I just got out of emt school. Have never been a working or vollie emt.

I carry my face mask with me everywhere, so at church, etc, someone stops breathing, and it turns into a Seinfeld thing where everybody turns to me to give mouth to mouth......

I intend to carry pocket mask and gloves. That will be it. And my phone to call 911....

octoparrot

Forum Probie
I have a small bag, never used it for general public use but it does come in handy for friends and family. I cant seem to keep cold packs in there :)
IMO, its a good thing to have handy but dont over do it...ive managed to stock it from overstocks at my garage with the basics. You never know when your going to need it...

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I've had (and put together) kits that range from football sideline kits to small first-aid kits that are perfect for handling small cuts and scrapes. When I do carry a "big" kit, it's basically set up like a typical BLS bag you'd find on any typical BLS ambulance, with some customization of supplies to allow me to do pretty much all the things I'm allowed to do under the Good Sam law. Most of the time, I carry just enough to fit in a Hawke EMS-2 pack. That's good for some light bandaging and perhaps CPR.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
Like livewire says it depends on your role.

I also sometimes respond direct to a scene, as an EMT-B as our town is 45 square miles, I live on one extreme end of town and the ambulance is towards the middle so there is a 50/50 chance I would have to drive past the call to get to the ambulance anyway.

Now, when I am not on call... I do not have anything with me. ABC's can be pretty much taken care of without anything other then the clothes on your back and your basic skills if it came to it. As an off duty responder, I would of course try and stop bleeding and perform CPR to the best of my ability, but if you start doing things like inserting airway adjuntcs without a suction unit you are sorta putting the B before the A....

EMS49393

Forum Captain
Nope. I don't have room in my trunk for any such thing. It's full of books, a blanket, some bottled water, and misc. crap my husband decides belongs there. Honestly, I don't need it. I wouldn't stop to render aid anyway, and I always have my phone to call 911.

Everyone wants to sue everyone now a days, it's just not worth putting myself in a situation to treat outside of my regular work environment.

Lets not forget the people that appear to need some help only to kidnap, rape, mutilate, and murder the person dumb enough to stop and help them.