personal first aid kit

8jimi8

CFRN
So is it cheaper to build your own from sam's club with a few add ons such as abds and such or does anyone know a discount site where I won't have to spend 400 for an advanced trauma kit? I was hoping for an ambu bag, maybe some sterile burn sheets, Manual suction. I'm thinking 3-4 car pile up x 2 ( one for each of my vehicles)

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
lol. search the forum, you'll find people will hate you xD

OP
OP
8jimi8

8jimi8

CFRN
Ya sorry forgot about the search

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I suggest you review START.

3-4 car pileup means you will be triaging, not treating. Quick lifesaving measures only such as open airway or apply CAT.

By the time you triage and call it in with an update, responders should be there. If they aren't, you will then retriage, see if there is anything you missed.

Buy gloves
Buy some CATS
Leave the rest to the people in the boo boo box or the big red shiny thing if it arrives first.

OP
OP
8jimi8

8jimi8

CFRN
ok. Point taken, but Im really thinking single vehicle accident with enough supplies for 4 cars. I like to be really really prepared :). I will also search. But if anyone wants to save me and mention a discount site I thank you. Coming off 24 hours on my last day in vegas and 2100 up!

Afflixion

Forum Captain
I suggest you review START.

3-4 car pileup means you will be triaging, not treating. Quick lifesaving measures only such as open airway or apply CAT.

By the time you triage and call it in with an update, responders should be there. If they aren't, you will then retriage, see if there is anything you missed.

Buy gloves
Buy some CATS
Leave the rest to the people in the boo boo box or the big red shiny thing if it arrives first.

Did you seriously just suggest someone to put a CAT on a civilian? LOL way to go.... though they may get yelled at by those that still maintain the classic stigma about tourniquets. My advice would be get a average sized compartmented backpack get some burn sheets, 4x4s, Israeli dressings, NPAs tape, gloves, BVM if you can, kerlix and ace wrap. That should help you out with most MVA related trauma.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Why yes I did.

Are you insinuating that tourniquets are only for military use, especially if the victim has a traumatic amputation. I mean after all, the original poster is trying to get geared up for the worst possible case scenario...so I merely indicated to him what his priorities should be.

If he is a one man show and doing triage, I informed him what he would be treating as he proceeded. Do you disagree?

Do you think yourself so special to be above tourniquet use in the civilian world? DO you think it is not used or indicated stateside in a non hostile environment? Just curious...

I also tried to hint that he should keep it as simple as possible..in all honesty, a pair of gloves is all you need. But no one ever listens despite the numerous threads in regards to this topic, and in a few years time when all the supplies have degraded from trunk heat and it is time to replace them out of his own pocket or such time as he becomes a full time employed provider on an ambulance, he will realize how silly it was to get all packed out for something that he most likely will never use. He then will sell it to other newbies coming up behind him and the cycle continues.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Search and read, people, this has been hashed to death.

OP, talk to your (us) older cohorts. Our kits are smaller, less of their contents are unused stuff, and we are over the image of singlhandedly combating Death.
That said, check your local EMS suppliers for your best prices, the bigger the better. Near Sacramento I use LifeAssist, drive up, walk in and leave with anything from a box of alcohol wipes to am ambulance, I believe.
PS: don't become a freelancer/sparkie/scanner chaser, OK.;)

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
MINIMALISTIC!!!

If you feel the need to carry whacker gear, then get a couple pairs of gloves, a pocket maks, and a PERSONAL First Aid Kit with a few band aids, some 4x4s, tape, and that should do ya. If you are carrying anything more it should be sanctioned by your department/company and a list should be provided by them. Anything else is overkill and not necessary, except by newbies with hero complexes. Not that I am judging, as I was ther once just like that... and :blush: even had an ambu bag and a set of OPAs in the car... but I grew up after realizing that the opurtunity to use them would never come... and if it did than I have a handy little cell phone to call someone that is fully equipped and resposible to handle the call. If I feel the need to get hands on (rarely) I have gloves so that I can use what should be the greatest tools EMTs should have... our senses and our brain.

Afflixion

Forum Captain
Why yes I did.

Are you insinuating that tourniquets are only for military use, especially if the victim has a traumatic amputation. I mean after all, the original poster is trying to get geared up for the worst possible case scenario...so I merely indicated to him what his priorities should be.

If he is a one man show and doing triage, I informed him what he would be treating as he proceeded. Do you disagree?

Do you think yourself so special to be above tourniquet use in the civilian world? DO you think it is not used or indicated stateside in a non hostile environment? Just curious...

I also tried to hint that he should keep it as simple as possible..in all honesty, a pair of gloves is all you need. But no one ever listens despite the numerous threads in regards to this topic, and in a few years time when all the supplies have degraded from trunk heat and it is time to replace them out of his own pocket or such time as he becomes a full time employed provider on an ambulance, he will realize how silly it was to get all packed out for something that he most likely will never use. He then will sell it to other newbies coming up behind him and the cycle continues.

I believe you misinterpreted what I said I am and have always been for more widespread civilian EMS use of the tourniquet. What I was saying is that there are alot of "naturalists" so to speak in civilian EMS that will bring a hot iron to someones severed limb than put a tourniquet on. That was all I meant by that. sorry for the misconception.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
I've already learned my lesson about this; don't bother buying much more than a box of bandaids and some BSI (gloves and a CPR mask).

All I carry is a pair of gloves and a basic CPR face shield. Maybe a pen light if I just so happen to still have one on me.

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
This has been discussed in a number of places, including a certain sticky, but I thought I'd post my personal first-aid kit.

In a pouch in my backpack there's:
A tube of triple antibiotic ointment, a sandwich bag with a couple pairs of gloves, some band-aids, and another sandwich bag with some gauze and 4x4s for anything the band-aids can't cover.

In my car, there's a 1-quart Ziploc bag with pretty much everything above plus aspirin, tape, an ace bandage, an emergency blanket, and a spare CPR barrier.

If I need anything more than that, I should be seeking immediate medical attention. Unless you are planning to go somewhere EMS can't reach (in which case you need more training), there's no point in having additional equipment.

OP
OP
8jimi8

8jimi8

CFRN
LOL I know I can't save the world singlehandedly! But if I can save just one... I will, isn't that why we train? Only thinking about it, isn't preparation. I'm no scanner chaser, but I do also go remote on climbing trips very often and my new job carries me over the most dangerous stretch of I-35 and if you have ever driven in Austin or San antonio, you know these people don't understand the aftermath of roadrage-redbull-texting + 80 mph.

sorry i posted this as a reply on the wrong thread earlier from my iphone.

thanks for the discussion, sorry i didn't search. I was going on about 23 hours when i first started this thread.

subliminal1284

Forum Lieutenant
As said above all you will ever need is a first aid kit and a cpr face mask. For anything more serious your training should allow you to control bleeding and start cpr until an ambulance arrives.

AthensTech09

Forum Probie
I'm participating in a kids camp, easily within range of local EMS. Its on a 7-acre tract, all woodsy like :p

I bought a Walmart Outdoor First Aid Kit:
50 adhesive bandages (various size,type)
1 adhesive tape roll .5in x 5yds
10 cotton tip applicators
4 finger splints
1 first aid guide :p
21 alco wipes
3 iodine wipes
3 sting relief wipes
21 antiseptic towels
1 lip ointment
1 brightstick
1 whistle
1 water pouch
16 electrolyte tablets
8 non-aspirin tablets
8 antacid tablets
8 gauze dressings (2x2, 4x4)
1 trama pad
2 vinyl glove sets
1 cold compress
1 scissors
1 tweezer
4 splinter removers
2 antibiotic ointments

Cost: $14.00

I called around and am still calling to see about a child-viable AED. Would a backboard be needed? What else? Any advice? Its for a small group, a dozen maybe, ages around 6-12 y/o. Its the first year for this camp so we're covering bases. I thought children's benadryl would be a good idea. We're going to do safety skits on the first day too, talk about the various hazards etc... Its a free-camp so although it would be nice to have a trained person there all the time, I'm probably all they're getting and I can't be there all day. Its only a 9am-2pm deal for 7 days. Suggestions? THANK YOU

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Athens, get together with your employer and your medical director.

If you don't have a medical director then all you should be doing legally is first aid.
If your employer wants to get you to do more, ask to talk to their director and/or their attorney.

You will porbably find that the quality of thematerials in a Walmart off the shelf kit bites. Usually the best part of OTS kits is the carrying case.

AthensTech09

Forum Probie
I didn't stop to think about shoddy supplies. Its made by Ozark Trail but has the "Marketed by WM" stamp on the liner notes.

As for first aid only duty, I getcha. Still, I'm covered by Good Samaritan to help administer beta agonist MDIs and epipen per EMT-I training, perhaps other maneuvers as well? I can of course provide solid CPR skillz. Thanks, more input?

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
I work with a super wacker new basic...he has King LT's in his personal vehicle...we are waiting for him to start carrying an AED and backboard...lol

The funny part was I was with him for his 1st 911 call ever. I expected him to be so excited he would be vibrating...he was shaking in his boots...

good kid tho, just a wee bit over zealous...lol
but as I said good kid