personal first aid kit

mikie

Forum Lurker
I work with a super wacker new basic...he has King LT's in his personal vehicle...

Is that even legal? Aren't advanced airways (at least something more than an OPA/NPA) require an MD to order?

djmedic913

Forum Lieutenant
Is that even legal? Aren't advanced airways (at least something more than an OPA/NPA) require an MD to order?

I have no clue...my personal ems kit consists of nothing more than jumper cables and bandaids for my kids...

rogersam5

Forum Crew Member
I carry a complete Trauma kit w/ Oxygen in my POV... although I respond POV when I am working so that is kindda why it is there... I take it out when I am not working and need the space ^_^

JonTullos

Forum Captain
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the need for an iron lung? :p

I plan to just have some really basic stuff but only because I'm also going to respond for the VFD. Not going to turn whacker, I promise.

Jon

JonTullos

Forum Captain
LMAO...for some reason I am having a hard time believing that...LOL

Haha No, seriously, I'm not going to get anything nutty. Just a basic first aid kit, nothing more.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
My Jeep has a decent little kit in it consisting of 1 CAT, some pressure dressings, 4x4s, tape, a pen light, 2 rolls of kerlix, a finger sam splint and a full size sam splint, gloves, Ibuprofen, some Benadryl dissolving strips (I need an epi kit, as I am deathly allergic to bees, but haven't had time due to class and clinicals to go get a script), a couple saline flushes (for a quick rinse of a site)... and somehow I wound up with a set of NPAs from my last service... I might be leaving something out...

I like it being a little well stocked due to me liking to go on off road trips where I might not see civilization for 3-4 days.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Issue of employment versus certification arises too when we get into "our own kits".

If you are a EMT-B certificant, and the position you are hired into is a first aid-level position, you may be liable for any action above your employment terms and using your own equipment.

Example: I'm an EMT-B, I answer and ad for a lifeguard asking for first aid level qualification, I bring my personal jump kit which includes OP airways, a cervical collar, a Sager traction splint, etc. If I act beyond the terms of my employment than I am strictly on my own, could get fired, could be denied workman's comp incurred doing these out nof bounds stuff, could be sued for the condition and type of supplies and equipment you bring.

Many employers will jump at hiring young enthusiastic EMT"s to fill first aid or other positions thnking they can get more for their money. They will because their decision making-processes are more informed, but the employee needs to be acting at the level they are hired for, or the employer needs to set things up to employ an EMT, meaning a medical director, equijpment, training, etc.
You know me. Buy a faikrly large padded camera case with moveable dividers and fill it form your local EMS supplier.