*Peeks in*

DonQ

Forum Crew Member
Hey everyone! Just small intro...let's see...I'm 20, M, very interested in pursuing an EMT career, and love helping people. An Eagle Scout, College Junior, found out halfway through my English degree I didn't want to teach. Needed more action and variety. Turned onto EMT field by fiance's aunt, who's a paramedic herself along with her husband. I love the stories, and information in general I've heard about it. I start my EMT-B prep course (a semester long) in Spring '05. Don't know what to expect. Came here looking for support and some fun! :) Always willing to learn new things...I'll be around here a lot

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
First of all,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM! :D

Secondly, if you really do love helping people, EMS is the place for you (it's certainly not for the pay). You'll get to meet all types of people, usually on one of the worst days of their lives, and you'll get the chance to make a difference to them.

As far as what to expect, I have only one piece of advice: EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED! Every call is unique, and you never see the same thing twice. Also, given the absurdity and stupidity of some of the things you'll see, you'll feel like you have a ringside seat to the greatest show on earth.

Feel free to stick around and continue to post here. Any questions you might have will probably be answered, but I must forewarn you of the "warped" sense of humor possessed by those in EMS. If you can't laugh at it, you're not doing it right. ;)

kyleybug

Forum Crew Member
Welcome. I hope you enjoy your stay. Like ffemt said we are a little warped around here, you almost have to be to be in the EMS system. It is a great life and we work hard, don't get paid much but when you see the Mother of a 4 month old that was not breathing when you got there holding that baby and planning to take the baby home alive and well it makes it all worth it. You have ofcourse the bad calls that will haunt your dreams but the good days override the bad unsually. Hope to see you follow thru with the classes. I do recommed that you do a ride along before you totally commit maybe a couple because as you'll find out the ride along person usually makes things really quiet, we love them at our service because we don't get calls while they are there! :)

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Greetings from Florida, and possibly soon to be California. You'll find that even though some of us can be pretty twisted at times, our different levels of knowledge and experience help each other our greatly. Here you'll find a former Medical First Responders (MFR) with experience in commercial and industrial fire protection and ems (that's me), a few are taking the EMT-B class now, some range from brand new on the streets to seasoned veterans, and yes, I think we have a 'para-god' or two lurking on the board. No matter what level we are, we're all are here to help you and everyone else.

Good luck with your classes and welcome to EMTLife.com.

Chimp

Ray1129

Forum Crew Member
some range from brand new on the streets to seasoned veterans

*grins* And some of us are somewhere in between with more fire training than we know what to do with. *bops up and down*

Welcome to the board.

-Ray :lol:

traumagirl1029

Forum Crew Member
hey and welcome to the board! I too am currently waiting to take my EMT-B class..hopefully that'll start in Jan so we're in the same boat..although i've been involved in EMS for almost 5 years. I'll echo basically what everyone else already said by just enjoy what your getting yourself into, and be aware that its gunna be messy, its gunna be hard, its gunna get nasty..but its what we do. Plan and simple, because we all have that mysterious drive that keeps us going. :D so good luck and keep us all updated

OP
OP
D

DonQ

Forum Crew Member
Thanks everyone! I'll be sure to stick around. I've been reading the boards for a couple of days and I love it! :) The whole lot of ya seem like a wonderful bunch. :)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
DonQ,

First, Welcome to the forum! I'm not sure how I missed all these posts, but it's great to see you active on the forum!

I'm 21 years old, with a minor in English. I have yet to find out I don't want to teach, but I'll let you know if it happens :).

I hope you see you around, and be sure to come back often and keep us updated on what's going on in your course.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by MMiz@Nov 11 2004, 01:41 AM
I hope you see you around
It's a good thing you're not majoring in English... geesh. :p

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by Chimpie+Nov 11 2004, 03:29 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chimpie @ Nov 11 2004, 03:29 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MMiz@Nov 11 2004, 01:41 AM
I hope you see you around
It's a good thing you're not majoring in English... geesh. :p [/b][/quote]
LOL :lol:

MariaCatEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
A belated welcome to the forum.

I saw from your profile that you're from Sterling, Illinois. I'm in Champaign/Urbana myself. You were born the year I graduated from high school (laughs!).

I look forward to getting to know you. There's a lot of wisdom here (not me! I'm a newbie myself!), take advantage of it.

Take care.

--Maria