Partner Etiquette

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
If your partner is driving code one to a scheduled IFT and doesn't need help navigating, is it rude to read a book if you're not ignoring them when they talk?

JPINFV

Gadfly
I wouldn't consider it rude, how ever it takes a lot for me to be offended. Heck, you could sleep as far as I'm concerned.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
If your partner is driving code one to a scheduled IFT and doesn't need help navigating, is it rude to read a book if you're not ignoring them when they talk?

If you are studying no.

However if you spend a significant amount of time with that partner, reading for pleasure, they may take offense.

You should be able to find a balance between interacting with your partner and reading though.

SEBeast

Forum Crew Member
Balance

The majority of the time, if it's late I sleep til we get to our destination. My partner encourages me to sleep. Sometimes I'll drive to let him catch a few z's. Any other time my partner and talk about whatever is on our mind. There is a balance.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
The majority of the time, if it's late I sleep til we get to our destination. My partner encourages me to sleep. Sometimes I'll drive to let him catch a few z's. Any other time my partner and talk about whatever is on our mind. There is a balance.
I agree there is a balance.
PS: regarding your other post, I have a soft spot for man o war and maiden.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
If you're partners you'll work it out.

If you're coworkers, maybe stay awake for GP's.

Hal9000

Forum Captain
As an EMT, I have been always been assigned to mostly 9-1-1 response, at about a 90-10 split throughout the past 4 years. With that said, I've had many, many partners, and I've always gotten along, even when we're driving somewhere and I'm reading a book. Especially when I'm using the time to finish college work.

I agree with mycrofft, but I'd say that it can help to get to know your new partner first, just to make things less awkward. And yes, I have slept before, especially when being held over for long amounts of time.

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
Not rude at all. If you were ignoring them or telling them to shut up cause you're reading....yea that'd be rude. I don't think reading, listening to music, sleeping, playing on a laptop, etc is rude when you're posted up in a truck all day as long as you aren't ignoring your partner most of the time. Already been said, balance is the key.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Am I the only one that thinks the partner talking also has the potential to be the one being rude?

I mean seriously. If I'm sitting there and have been reading for 20 minutes without any conversation and my partner suddenly says "So yesterday I cooked pot roast for dinner" I'm going to wonder why the heck he is interrupting my book.

That being said, find a balance.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
This is very frightening.

Nobody has mentioned you may wish to look out the window and ensure that you're clear at intersections and traffic aint getting crazy on you especially when driving priority?

Brown is worried :unsure:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader

Nobody has mentioned you may wish to look out the window and ensure that you're clear at intersections and traffic aint getting crazy on you especially when driving priority?

I'm thinking code one in their system means normal driving, whereas in my system is means lights and siren.

You're asking an internet forum if reading a book while your partner is driving is rude, but this is definitely something you should be asking your partner, as it is really is reliant on the person. I've had partners sleep, read, and make phone calls while I've driven the rig to dialysis and other scheduled calls and it doesn't mean a thing. Still, I'm not your partner, and this is something that you need to work out with him/her.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief

Around here, Code One / Priority 3 is normal, while Code 3, Priority 1 is L&S

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
My bad .... priority one here is emergent/L&S whereas 2 and 3 are normal.

Oh in that case no I don't think its overly rude, but I'd still rather have the other Officer looking out the window than head down in a book. Safety issue.

JPINFV

Gadfly

To be honest, when I'm driving I'm fully responsible for the safe operation of the vehicle. So even if my partner looks out the window and says it's clear, I'm looking anyways. With properly positioned mirrors, the blinds spots aren't that large, and if you're so far forward that you can't look right to clear a lane of traffic, then you're too far forward.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
When working transport, and my partner is driving non-emergent and doesn't need my assistance in navigation or anything else: I've been known to listen to an iPod, text on a cellphone, and even nap.

I also talk with many of my partners... and I try to drive about half of the time, to share the load.

OP
OP
A

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
I'm thinking code one in their system means normal driving, whereas in my system is means lights and siren.

You're asking an internet forum if reading a book while your partner is driving is rude, but this is definitely something you should be asking your partner, as it is really is reliant on the person. I've had partners sleep, read, and make phone calls while I've driven the rig to dialysis and other scheduled calls and it doesn't mean a thing. Still, I'm not your partner, and this is something that you need to work out with him/her.

Sorry, code one means regular driving around here.

And I was interested in a group opinion.

MusicMedic

Forum Captain
Usually i tend to balance it, if my partner doesn't feel like talking, or we are both tired i just usually go on my phone or just sleep, if we are both in the beginning of our shift and feel like talking we talk.
its deff not rude to be Reading or sleeping if you want to, just tell your partner "hey im gonna take a nap or im gonna read a book" or something along those lines.

sometimes when we are posting somewhere and its slow, we usually take turns taking naps in the back.