Paramedics to rn?

Emtbfornow

Forum Ride Along
has anyone here done this? Do you guys enjoy what you do? why did you chose this program?

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
It sounds like you're referring to going through a Paramedic to RN transition course. There are quite a few of us that have gone from Paramedic to RN, but did the "upgrade" by doing a traditional route. I'm one of them. Personally, I enjoy the work and as far as "skills" go, I'm basically doing much the same thing as I did as a Paramedic. There are some things I'm not allowed to do due to hospital policy, like doing EJ IV cannulation or Intubation, but those things aren't out of scope for nurses.

Why did I choose nursing? Simple: far better pay, decent benefits, flexibility of work environments (multiple areas of care) and the possibility of working very close to home.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
In most situations you are probably better off going the traditional BSN route. Many bridge programs do not give you much transfer credit and you still need all the required prerequisites unless your paramedic program required college science courses.

Nursing is a great profession with good education, pay, and lifestyle. You have endless opportunities in various settings and specialties or advancing to NP/CRNA. Some aspects of nursing can be mundane but once you put in your time there are tons of exciting rewarding jobs.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Much easier (and career/income beneficial) to go EMT->RN->P than EMT->P->RN

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Much easier (and career/income beneficial) to go EMT->RN->P than EMT->P->RN
Usually true. The best way to verify if this applies to you is to check your State's EMS laws and regulations to see how easy, if possible, it is to go from RN to P. Usually the process will be described within the regulations. All you have to do is follow the regulations. This pathway assumes that your goal is to become an RN at some point in your future. I, along with others, recommend going EMT to RN and skipping P along the way if you want to be an RN.

ParamagicFF

Forum Crew Member
I am a working paramedic now in the process of applying to nursing schools that offer "bridge" programs. I'm finding that having a degree as a paramedic is offering little benefit in terms of time or cost savings versus a traditional ADN. The only real benefit is less competition for slots, and perhaps shaving off a single semester.

If you aren't already a paramedic, and you know you want to become an RN, I would go straight for a traditional BSN if your current place in life allows it.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Get your nursing degree, get a few years of ICU/ER experience, then get your medic (preferably by attending the whole program). Work as both. Profit.

OP
OP
Emtbfornow

Emtbfornow

Forum Ride Along
fun fact finishing up my B.A. in BIO and minor in chem. i just want to skip getting two bachlers lmfao

Summit

Critical Crazy
fun fact finishing up my B.A. in BIO and minor in chem. i just want to skip getting two bachlers lmfao
Are you kidding me? Do an ABSN if you want to be a RN.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Once you get your Bachelor's, go for the ABSN. It's fast, intensive, takes about a year, and you'll have a BSN in less time than you'd get an ADN. It may be a bit more expensive than the ADN or traditional BSN, but it's faster and you'll have more employment options than someone that's an ADN grad. Hospitals that are going for, or have, Magnet status require the vast majority of their applicants to have the BSN upon application.

Remember that a Bachelor's in some other field than Nursing and an ADN isn't looked at as equivalent to having a BSN, though the education you have may actually be broader than someone that only possesses a BSN degree. Nursing just doesn't recognize any non-nursing degrees.