Paramedic schools in California?

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
This is the first time I am hearing about this. The only time agencies charge students around here is if you get placed with the fire departments, they will normally charge $5 per day for food and that's it.
Man sounds like a dream world. I rode out private and had to pay. FD charges as well. From what I hear LAFD only takes Freeman Students. LA county same deal.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Man sounds like a dream world. I rode out private and had to pay. FD charges as well. From what I hear LAFD only takes Freeman Students. LA county same deal.
Whats sad is that the preceptor probably doesn't see any of that money..

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I am happy I did not have to pay anything above tuition for my clinical sites. It is nice to have preceptors that take on the extra work of a student because they want to and not because the department wants to make money.

mo2002

Forum Crew Member
here's the breakdown for Sac State's Paramedic Program as of 2014/2015. Keep in mind that the course total (11,700) DOES NOT include what the agency will charge you for interning with their company; IE: Sac City FD charges an additional ~$2500 to intern with them. A smaller company may only charge ~$1000. This program also gives you 30 transferable college credits.
Why the hell do you have to pay to intern? Is that a liability pay for insurance?

rodoni

Forum Probie
From my understanding of it, the agency charges for 1) insurance/liability and 2) I believe the preceptor does make some of that money. Here, Sac Metro FD will take their own employees as interns at no extra cost while Sac City FD will still charge their employees. The high cost (3900$) of the "field internship" from Sac State is because of the units. Because students are getting college credit, they pay per unit. The field internship alone is 10 units.

So basically, you're looking at anywhere from 3900-6500$ just for your internship.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
From my understanding of it, the agency charges for 1) insurance/liability and 2) I believe the preceptor does make some of that money. Here, Sac Metro FD will take their own employees as interns at no extra cost while Sac City FD will still charge their employees. The high cost (3900$) of the "field internship" from Sac State is because of the units. Because students are getting college credit, they pay per unit. The field internship alone is 10 units.

So basically, you're looking at anywhere from 3900-6500$ just for your internship.
That's horrible. For the 30+ units my medic school was, it was only $4100 total

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver

Cal State per unit price vs. CC per unit. The reason Freeman is so expensive is because you pay UC tuition prices, although I don't think you get any actual UC transferable credit.

Also, the last place you want to learn to be a paramedic is in LA or Orange County

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
I took 53 units for my medic program (including 12 internship units) for about $2800 with books. My internship with SF Fire was an additional $1850.

Berkeley Fire is still free but very picky.
Everyone else around here charges.