Paramedic Psychomotor Questions

bcemr

Forum Crew Member
Greetings,
I am looking to schedule and complete my psychomotor, however I have no concept of what to expect during the process as I trained in Canada.

I was curious of a few things:
1. Are they very strict during the exam in following times and the steps of each skill?
2. How much practice should I have going into it? I haven't been in school in about 2 years and am not used to "school calls" anymore.
3. Do you think a school would let me sit in on/participate in practice with other students?
3b. Anyone want to practice? ;)
4. The fee in CA to do it is $300. If I am unsuccessful in the first attempt do I need to pay that fee again, or do I get all 3 of the attempts for the fee?

Any additional pointers or thoughts are appreciated as I honestly don't know what to expect!

Thanks folks!

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Download the Paramedic skill sheets. The timing and specifics are noted on each sheet.

Each proctor is different, but the skill sheets are linear, and most paramedic students learn to follow them in a specific order. Not following the order may inadvertently result in a fail because the proctor was confused by your flow.

You should certainly watch/practice before going into it cold. Also, I'd make sure you use the "American" names for medication, as I watched a UK medic who was challenging skills in the US fail because he mentioned dosing salbutamol and adrenalin as opposed to albuterol and epi, and the proctor was clueless.

:)

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
#3: it's going to depend on the school. Call and speak to the instructors to see if they will allow it.

#4: if I remember correctly each skill you fail costs $25 to retest. If you fail to many skills and have to do the whole test again you do have to pay the full amount again.

OP
OP
bcemr

bcemr

Forum Crew Member
I have one further question that perhaps one of you can help with...
- What are the meds that they test for? I am assuming all of the cardiac meds, D50, albuterol, atrovent, etc.

I am unsure if they are going to want specific pain meds (some jurisdictions have fentanyl, some don't etc). Would saying "apply pain management medication" be sufficient?

I can't find anything regarding this online anywhere.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It's traditionally a common med in a preload. Epi, atropine, D50 or bicarb.