Paramedic programs for RN-EMTs

Jakeyjake

Forum Probie
I am an RN who challenged the EMT exam in my state -- looking to go into flight nursing which where I live requires you to be licensed as a paramedic and an RN. I know of one program out in the midwest, which allows ICU nurses to take an intensive paramedic course in two weeks, but I don't know of any others. I would be willing to travel out of state for this. Does anyone know or have heard of any such programs?

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
The local community college where I live created a curriculum for RN to meduc bridge. You essentially just have to take operation and do the required clinical hours. That would take more than 2 weeks though.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
What state do you live in and what programs have you already looked at?

I believe Creighton University had one. Not sure if it still exists thou.

Most programs are for people going the other direction (medic to RN). I know Michigan used to have a few RN to Medic programs, but you had to have an inside connection to get in. I don't think they really exist in Michigan anymore because the demand dwindled so low it is not profitable for anyone to do.

PERCOM might also be an option worth looking into. Their didactic is all taught through online modules, and they can grant advanced class standing to students with licensure in other fields from what I understand. I know that several RN's, RT's, 68W's, and even MD's have gone through their program. They can even knock off some of your clinical hours based upon previous documented clinical experiences. I would really suggest giving them a call to find out about what options they can make available to you. They are super reasonably priced too. I did PERCOM and loved the program. The instructors were great, and despite what anyone else says, I have not noticed a difference in competency between what I learned, and what other medics who attended tractional brick and mortar programs learned.

OP
OP
Jakeyjake

Jakeyjake

Forum Probie
I live in the Northeast but am willing to travel far out of state for this. Creighton was the one I knew.

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
Let us know if you find any other RN to medic programs. It would be nice to keep a list going on these forums because I hear this question pop up occasionally.

You might want to call around to different community colleges and find out if they have any leads on programs kept on the down low. A few years ago Survival Flight in Michigan began requiring their RN's to hold EMT-P certs, and I believe they held an internal program. I kind of wonder if flight programs in your state do internal programs to qualify nurses as medics, especially since most nurses do not hold a Medic cert...and putting a RN (especially a BSN) through a full medic program is a little silly.

I do not think that going through a full Medic program would hurt either. Yes, it takes more time. However nursing and paramedicine are inherently different. Most of my closest friends are nurses, and I can honestly say I would trust them with my life. BUT, the way we treat patients is different. A Medic's assessment is oriented towards treatment and is out of the allopathic model of medicine. I have seen nurses struggle in the prehospital setting because their assessment is more oriented towards long term care, and not treating immediate problems. You might not have this problem as much if you are already an EMT and have EMT experience, but there is a reason prehospital ALS is not usually provided by RN's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I live in the Northeast but am willing to travel far out of state for this. Creighton was the one I knew.

Creighton is the only one I know of. Several of my flight nurse partners went through it and what I've heard about it is almost entirely positive.

Call the paramedic programs in your state and ask them what they can do for you. In many states the paramedic program director / medical director have broad leeway in allowing individuals to test out of large portions of the program and skip most or all of the hospital clinical, even if they don't have formal "bridge programs" for nurses.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Since you really wouldn't be working as a paramedic and instead just adding that skill set to your existing roll, I don't see a huge problem with the 2 week thing. But I think a substantial amount of ride time should be required.

You really have to change your way of thinking. I'm learning that quickly going from medic to RN.

Paramedics are a fix it type. We see a problem, fix it, and move to the next. With nursing you really focus on the long term, big picture stuff.

Good luck. Let us know what you find.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I have seen nurses struggle in the prehospital setting because their assessment is more oriented towards long term care, and not treating immediate problems.

I really do not see that being an issue for any ICU nurse. The Critical Care environment is for the treatment of immediately life threatening problems. Crashing patients are the norm.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I really do not see that being an issue for any ICU nurse. The Critical Care environment is for the treatment of immediately life threatening problems. Crashing patients are the norm.

But ICU trained nurses are not the norm.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
But ICU trained nurses are not the norm.

I know but most, if not all, of these types of programs require ICU experience. Creighton requires at least 2 years I believe. None of these programs are intended to take non-critical care nurses and turn them into street ready medics.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I know but most, if not all, of these types of programs require ICU experience. Creighton requires at least 2 years I believe. None of these programs are intended to take non-critical care nurses and turn them into street ready medics.

Ah ok. I did not know that.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
For Creighton "Eligible applicants shall hold current and in good-standing licensure as an RN, MD, or DO with a minimum of two years critical care experience. Current EMT certification, ACLS, and BCLS for Healthcare Providers (or equivalent) is also required. Trauma and Pediatric specialty course certifications are strongly recommended."

TacomaGirl

Forum Probie
One of our RNs did the 2 week course out of state and loved it. The 'bad' part was the ride along time he had to squeeze in before he could take his exam. My state won't allow nurses to challenge the EMT exam and there are no RN to medic bridge programs nearby-but know they do exist.

I am considering getting my medic as well but cost, time and working FT with lots of OT is why I haven't made the leap.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:

hogwiley

Forum Captain

I've seen ICU RNs crash and burn in the ER, which is a lot more controlled environment than a pre hospital setting.

In the OPs case Id be a little bit concerned over the fact he never even took an EMT course and as far as I can tell never worked the road as an EMT, now wanting to pass go and just do a crash course in Paramedic.

I don't doubt being an ICU Nurse is very challenging, probably more challenging than being a Paramedic, but the two jobs are different. Its only fair to future patients that they prove competency in a controlled setting through an internship. I mean I spent more than 2 weeks just learning and proving my competency in advanced airway procedures alone, nevermind all the other things Paramedics do that RNs have no formal training in.

Summit

Critical Crazy
and we are off!

Horse-Races-York1.jpg

wanderingmedic

RN, Paramedic
I've seen ICU RNs crash and burn in the ER, which is a lot more controlled environment than a pre hospital setting.

Let's not generalize here. There are medics that have gone through traditional brick and mortar programs that crash and burn in the field. It all comes back to the OP's personal experience as a RN, as well as their decision making and leadership ability.

TacomaGirl

Forum Probie

In the OPs case Id be a little bit concerned over the fact he never even took an EMT course and as far as I can tell never worked the road as an EMT, now wanting to pass go and just do a crash course in Paramedic.

I don't doubt being an ICU Nurse is very challenging, probably more challenging than being a Paramedic, but the two jobs are different. Its only fair to future patients that they prove competency in a controlled setting through an internship. I mean I spent more than 2 weeks just learning and proving my competency in advanced airway procedures alone, nevermind all the other things Paramedics do that RNs have no formal training in.

I understand your frustration/concern. The way I see it, a huge chunk of the "meat" of the training is already redundant to the RN. You can't compare a 'student' that is going from scratch with that one that has already been-there-done-that. Additional skills can be easily taught if you have the baseline/experience already there. The real 'experience' will come with real-life encounters and practice, practice, practice (read:time). Perhaps a 2-week crash is not the best way to go but many nurses have been very successful. I am sure that is why those 2-3 week programs exist and are geared to those that just need to learn specific skill sets.

Some places require the medic as an addition to the RN for various reasons.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
It's not the skills that are difficult to teach, it's the mindset. Hence why ICU experience is a requirement since ICU nurses generally run off standing orders plus whatever the attending provider writes for.

I think bridges/challenges are good for certain people but they're not for everyone.