Paramedic for McCormick LA County or AMR Riverside?

NAKR1234

Forum Probie
I am about to interview for both (AMR on Friday, McCormick on Monday.) I was just wondering what is better in terms of pay and opportunities down the road? I was a combat medic for 8 years with two combat tours. I don't feel I need more trauma experience considering my Paramedic license is already a downgrade in scope from what I am used to. I do have a Bachelors degree as well. I just don't have a fire card in order to hop on the Fire Department train just yet. Any advice or insights to what options I may have would be helpful. I am mainly looking at pay, opportunities for more pay/responsibility, and longevity. Wife just doesn't want me doing flight lol. Thanks in advance for your input. Godspeed

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Riverside will have better protocols than LA county. Riverside division AMR is also offering a $5,000 sign on bonus for full time paramedics due to a current shortage. You will probably be able to negotiate a decent starting pay from what I have been hearing.

OP
OP
N

NAKR1234

Forum Probie
Riverside will have better protocols than LA county. Riverside division AMR is also offering a $5,000 sign on bonus for full time paramedics due to a current shortage. You will probably be able to negotiate a decent starting pay from what I have been hearing.

That's what I've been hearing, what kind of pay range should I expect? I hear horror stories of 13.00 and then hopeful ones of around 16.00+. I just don't know what I should realistically ask for with my background and experience. If I get offered a job in the first place of course, not going to assume it's a given. Thanks again for the info and insight!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Starting pay in riverside should be in the $16/hr range however you will likely be able to negotiate higher due to military experience, degree, and the fact they are hurting for medics.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
I hear horror stories of 13.00 and then hopeful ones of around 16.00+

AMR is unionized, they cannot pay lower than union representation even if they want to (and they probably do). EMTs start @ $12.50-ish an hr, medics start @ $15-ish. I'm sure you'll be able to hustle a slightly higher wage, age+family+experience & all.

And if you're paycheck-oriented, it's probably best to stay away from McCormick. These aren't the rigs you're looking for.

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
If u come to Riverside u will start at about $15+ but you will actually function as a Medic

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Mccormick is like $12 an hour and you can't function as a medic. You only function as a medic if your doing a rare ift. Otherwise your a gurney jockey. If your looking for good pay and great protocols leave LAco.
San bernardino and riverside are both great if you want AMR. If your willing to drive I highly recommend Hall.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

NAKR1234

Forum Probie
AMR is unionized, they cannot pay lower than union representation even if they want to (and they probably do). EMTs start @ $12.50-ish an hr, medics start @ $15-ish. I'm sure you'll be able to hustle a slightly higher wage, age+family+experience & all.

And if you're paycheck-oriented, it's probably best to stay away from McCormick. These aren't the rigs you're looking for.

Not really "paycheck oriented" more opportunity oriented. Just don't want to ask for too much, if I'm offered anything to begin with. Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
N

NAKR1234

Forum Probie
Mccormick is like $12 an hour and you can't function as a medic. You only function as a medic if your doing a rare ift. Otherwise your a gurney jockey. If your looking for good pay and great protocols leave LAco.
San bernardino and riverside are both great if you want AMR. If your willing to drive I highly recommend Hall.

I am willing to drive, not sure what you mean by that. Never heard of Hall. Where do they operate? Difference? Thanks for the info!

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I am willing to drive, not sure what you mean by that. Never heard of Hall. Where do they operate? Difference? Thanks for the info!
Hall is in Bakersfield about 2 hours north of L.A. fire is all bls the pay is good, the protocols are fantastic. Same owner since 1971 so its a way around working for amr. Check out their webpage. Theres alot of people that work hall that are on here. They also have their own flight program. They run 90% of kern county and are the medical authority.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
By gurney jockey you have the title of emt and don't have anything to do with patient care. Your a chauffeur and a glorified people mover. Fire has 100% control over ems.

OP
OP
N

NAKR1234

Forum Probie
Hall is in Bakersfield about 2 hours north of L.A. fire is all bls the pay is good, the protocols are fantastic. Same owner since 1971 so its a way around working for amr. Check out their webpage. Theres alot of people that work hall that are on here. They also have their own flight program. They run 90% of kern county and are the medical authority.

I think I'd rather stick to ALS. Thanks though!

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I think I'd rather stick to ALS. Thanks though!
Hall is ALS...... fire doesn't run ems. You have on a truck 1 medic and 1 emt. Mccormick your a paramedic functioning as an emt. In LA fire runs ems and all the ambulance companys like Mccormick are glorified chauffeurs. You wanna be a medic go to Hall.

OP
OP
N

NAKR1234

Forum Probie
Hall is ALS...... fire doesn't run ems. You have on a truck 1 medic and 1 emt. Mccormick your a paramedic functioning as an emt. In LA fire runs ems and all the ambulance companys like Mccormick are glorified chauffeurs. You wanna be a medic go to Hall.

AMR in Riverside runs 911 ALS correct?

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
Yes. Same as Hall. 1 EMT 1 Medic.

aquabear

World's Okayest Paramedic
If you're a paramedic, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T BE A GURNEY JOCKEY AT MCCORMICK.

Also, AMR Santa Barbara is taking apps, good division, great pay, way more scenic that the valley of the dirt people AKA Bakersfield and mostly BLS fire (the ALS departments don't do much any ways).

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
AMR in Riverside runs 911 ALS correct?

Every AMR division in riverside county (Palm Springs, Hemet, and Riverside) is ALS 911.