Paramedic class + FT job

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I have a 250-mile commute and I use the time to study index cards and catch up with friends on my cell since I don't have a whole lot of time left for a social life.

ok I don't think I want to know how you study index cards while driving. I thought my 90 mile (one way) commute to work was bad but I don't think I'd be willing to drive 4 hours a day for class.

jochi1543

Forum Captain
ok I don't think I want to know how you study index cards while driving. I thought my 90 mile (one way) commute to work was bad but I don't think I'd be willing to drive 4 hours a day for class.

LOL, it's for work, and it's 4 hours one way for the entire shift, which is 4 days....so that'd be the equivalent of commuting 1 hour one way to a day job, which isn't too bad when you think about it that way.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Tapes are good. reading lecture notes into a tape recorder and playing it while driving works.

Rhan.. do you have a life? Family? Because if you are going to do full time student, plus a job, your family life will suffer. If there are any weaknesses in your relationship, this will point them out to you in living color. I'm saying this as the wife who stayed home with two babies (8mos and 3yrs) while her husband went to paramedic school. He didn't work full time while attending either and we saw very little of him during that year. BTW, still married to the guy. Medic school was 19 years ago.

Alexakat

Forum Lieutenant
I'm doing it now. I have a career in healthcare management & work FT, go to school 2-3x per week (usually M & W from 6p - 10p & Sat 8a-5p), do clinicals, field time & run 3 shifts per month with my rescue squad (they're paying for my paramedic class). My husband is also doing the same thing, so at least it's something we do "together" (otherwise, I'd never see him).

The last semester of my undergraduate degree, I took 15 credit hours & worked FT too & still managed to graduate with honors. It wasn't fun & honestly, I don't know why I keep doing this, but I seem to work better this way...(glutton for punishment!?) We finish the program in December. We study a lot but still manage to do other things...

We also don't have children, which makes it a little less of an issue for us.

You can definitely do it...but it's up to you & your situation (I don't think I could do it if we had children...).

emstim84

Forum Ride Along
I'm not working full-time, but I'm a full-time student at UC Davis while I'm doing P-school so I'd imagine it's pretty similar. Honestly, it's not that bad. The hardest part is getting the reading done since you may be assigned as much as 200-300 pages to read in 4 days on top of studying pharmacology. As long as you're willing to study 7 days a week, and any significant other you have is understanding, you should be ok for the most part. I say for the most part because it's kind of hard to see, but if you look closely, my avatar is a huge bottle of jack daniels next to a bunch of paramedic textbooks. I think it sums up how doing two schools full-time (and I'd imagine a job full-time alongside p-school) will get to you at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Well we have a good relationship, no kids either. I am glad I will have about 7 months of being a basic before I start school, to make for sure I want to go the next step. If I take this big step I want to make a career out of it, I think I could work enough hours to make 50K i hope. The money doesn't matter to me know, but if I want to do it full-time then it will. I don't want to do it part-time because I want to stay on top of the game.

I have no illusions thats its going to be easy, reading that many pages is going to be rough. Why don't they just make the class two full years? Taking so many classes at once is tough. If I really want to do it after 7 months, I will, because if I don't I will always regret it.

Thanks for the insight so far.

Keeven83

Forum Probie
I just completed my medic program a few weeks ago,.....and can I just say it was one of the hardest times of my life. Like everyone has already beat into the ground, you basically are either at work, school, or on a clinical. So that leaves no time for anything else. I lost a few friends because they assumed I was always blowing them off, and almost lost a girlfriend.
But all in all I still say that in the end its worth it if its what you really want to do with your life. Everyones experience is different. Just know what your getting into. Good luck!

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks for all the info, the school I am planning on going to actually make selections. So it is possible not to get in. I got a A in my basic class and a B in anatomy, plus working part-time, hope I can get in.

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
I had a professor in college tell us "You can work and go to school or you can work and have a family. You can have a family and go to school, but you cannot do all three at the same time". He was a very wise man.

When I started medic school I had made it all the way to my junior year in a 4 yr BS in Emergency Managment program. It was one of only three accredited schools at the time, but I was bored. I was not married until my last semester of internship during medic school but lived with my then fiance throughout medic schooland while she was going through nursing school. I also was working on my bachelors level courses, commuted about 75 miles one way and over 100+ miles until the final semester for clinicals. We had class T and Th from 0800-1600 for the first spring, summer, fall clinicals. When the spring time came we moved to M,W,F 0800-1600 and when the summer came, we continued that and for the final hours of internship, we went to Memphis and rode 3 shifts with them. I admire anyone that can make it through medic school while working EMS. I was not able to do so, but I worked 3-5 part time jobs at the same time doing whatever it took to provide for my wife (then fiance) while living together but never seeing each other. I always did 12-18 hour clinicals so I could get them done quickly since I was putting in about 500-800 miles of windshield time/week. I did not allow myself to get in the slump and spent every free moment studying, reading, memorizing and finished second in my class. I also would highlight in my book, take notes in class, rewrite my notes as often as possible, and recorded them to listen as traveling. I lost out on a lot of time getting to know my wife and lost out on being involved in a lot of the wedding prep and just a lot of time I will never get back .For my time I did nothing but eat, breathe, and live EMS. At the end I received an AAS in Allied Health and a Technical Certificate in EMS-Paramedic Technology. When I resumed my BS degree, nothing I had done counted for anything towards it except for elective credit. So six years later I finally have my BS and all of the loans to go with everything else in a failing job market. I am positive I would not do it again.

I recently completed EMT class and got certified. I also did A&P I in prep for paramedic. You have to have at least that done + EMT B to get in.

Anyhow I wanted to see what people's experience's were trying to tackle this with a full time job. I work 7-4pm M-F; classes are 5-10 M,W,F. I am starting to have second thoughts if I can do this and continue to do good at my job where I make good money.

I am trying to convince myself to just work basic for a couple years and get some experience. I always wanted to get to medic though. I am not sure what to do and am looking for some advice. I wanted to get others feedback on their medic schooling and their full-time job. How it effected your job, did you grades slump due to your job. etc. etc.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It comes down to this. How bad does one want something?

In reality majority of the people could become physicians. Yes, one has to have some smarts but I have seen and witnessed many that was C average level. It was they spent additional time to "bump up" their GPA as well as they might to have had tutors to assist. The difference between most of them and the others is those that enter medical school soon learn, it is their life. They place all other things on hold. Most either remain single, significant other learns they will be second or third and all life ceases or stops existing until they are out of school. Then it re-occurs during residency. They make the sacrifice most will not.

I have no sympathy for most that whine about things. It was never easy for me either. I have four college degrees and never stopped working 24 hour shifts. Most of the time, I even worked part time. While in nursing school I took over 20 hours of solid subjects (two colleges) and the wife became pregnant & my daughter was born premature & placed into NICU. Was it easy? No! Was it stressful? Yeah, even went into SVT secondary from caffeine toxicity and stress.

It can be done. Use common sense. The only thing I would had changed would to place my family first. Unfortunately, I suffered the consequences of such and remember one can always get another job. Most Paramedic schools are only from 13 months to three years total. In comparrison to other careers a short time.

Prepare by saving and having a good communications and understanding with immediate family and friends. Become extremely organized and if possible have someone to assist in take over personal matters while in school. Before long, you will achieve your goal and it will be behind you ... to seek another.

R/r 911

Sasha

Forum Chief
It can be done. I worked full time through the first half of medic school. Do you have any down time at work? However don't use work as an excuse to slack off. I have classmates who have missed more days than they showed up due to work (how they're still in is a mystery to me.) and others that have failed EVERY test and whined "Oh well.. but I work.. I never have time to study...." But make no attempt to MAKE time.

If you decide to work full time through medic school, take your social calender and burn it, because you will have time to do NOTHING outside of school and work. Family functions? Bring your books and sit in a corner. You wont have time to go out or for friends. Or you shouldn't, because you SHOULD be studying.

Good luck on getting in!

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah my job has down time. In addition to having a FT job, I have a PT job with EMS. It is very few hours though.

Even people in basic class whined about not having time to study. You can always make time, thats what weekends or for and after hours weekdays.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Yeah my job has down time. In addition to having a FT job, I have a PT job with EMS. It is very few hours though.

Even people in basic class whined about not having time to study. You can always make time, thats what weekends or for and after hours weekdays.

Use that time to study :]

And yes! Study after class, on the weekends, etc. What do ya need sleep for? That's why they invented Redbull.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Sleep is over rated. You'll have plenty of time to sleep when your dead. As others have said have books with you wherever you are and if theres a quit minute your nose needs to be in the books.

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
Somebody make a note of this. Sasha and Medic417 have agreed on something. But that is the only way to survive medic school and work is to use every spare moment you have to study.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Somebody make a note of this. Sasha and Medic417 have agreed on something. But that is the only way to survive medic school and work is to use every spare moment you have to study.

This is I think actually the second time we agreed. Are we starting a bad habit?:wacko:

OP
OP
rhan101277

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
Use that time to study :]

And yes! Study after class, on the weekends, etc. What do ya need sleep for? That's why they invented Redbull.

Actually being deprived of sleep is bad on your body. Also redbull is bad mmmkay.

Sasha

Forum Chief
This is I think actually the second time we agreed. Are we starting a bad habit?:wacko:

I think we need an intervention!

[Or atleast we need to not leave witnesses :p Word may spread. ]

medic417

The Truth Provider
I think we need an intervention!

[Or atleast we need to not leave witnesses :p Word may spread. ]

I agree lets find all viewers in this thread and let them go swim with the fishes.;):p