Paramedic bride leaves wedding for call

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
You can say this woman is

married to the job.

I wish higher quality PR was available for American EMS, but take what you get I guess?

Last edited:

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Yeah. I was pretty annoyed seeing this, but not my problem I suppose.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Not sure if anyone read the article or commented on the headlines???

Her father and her grandparents were in the wreck and it occurred AFTER the actual "I Do's"...

I would probably have gone anyways as familial support. It is obvious she did not need to be there in an emergency capacity judging by the apparatus on scene, but this occurred between the ceremony and the reception...a change of clothes was in order already. I would have "shown up" and checked on them as well.

Her husband also went with her as he is a paramedic too, including most of the wedding party.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Not sure if anyone read the article or commented on the headlines???

Her father and her grandparents were in the wreck and it occurred AFTER the actual "I Do's"...

I would probably have gone anyways as familial support. It is obvious she did not need to be there in an emergency capacity judging by the apparatus on scene, but this occurred between the ceremony and the reception...a change of clothes was in order already. I would have "shown up" and checked on them as well.

Her husband also went with her as he is a paramedic too, including most of the wedding party.
Oh, I read the article. Again, I try not to judge as she can make whatever choices she wants, but the commentary afterwards was a bit much IMO. Going to check on family is one thing, though I would probably have waited to see them in the ED or later rather than parading around on scene. All the comments (paraphrasing since I don't have the article up now) about "doing what all first responders would do" or "springing into action" should have been minimized, as her role as a paramedic was absolutely meaningless to the situation. I know she did the whole "I'm not a hero" "schtick", but it just struck a nerve wrong with me. Extra bystanders on scenes, particularly MVAs, are just unhelpful.

The incident and injuries were minor. On duty is on duty, off duty is off duty. Checking on family is one thing, but parading around an emergency scene off duty with all your friends because you all work for that EMS agency is a little uncalled for.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
The incident and injuries were minor. On duty is on duty, off duty is off duty. Checking on family is one thing, but parading around an emergency scene off duty, in a wedding dress no less, with all your friends because you all work for that EMS agency is a little uncalled for.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
What a bunch of sensationalized nonsense. She didn't do anything besides pose for a photo and get in the way, especially since there were no significant injuries (so this stuff about "springing into action" is moot).

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
So her dad and grandparents get into a car wreck right outside the wedding so she goes to check if they're ok....she just so happens to be a paramedic, but it's not like she hopped on the ambulance to get dispatched to a call on the other side of town....

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
So her dad and grandparents get into a car wreck right outside the wedding so she goes to check if they're ok....she just so happens to be a paramedic, but it's not like she hopped on the ambulance to get dispatched to a call on the other side of town....

That's how I read it, too.

Seems it was the media more than her that made it into such a dinger-fest.

I don't think there's a word in the English language that is more overused than "hero".

EBMEMT

Forum Crew Member

The wreck was apparently a 1-2 miles away and an hour after the ceremony.
It seems to be a bit of an exaggeration to say she worked the call, but you don't have to ride an ambulance to the scene, be dispatched, or go across town to work a call. I don't see evidence that she did much that she might not have done if she wasn't a paramedic but she was probably prepared to, if needed.

A phone call came in notifying bride that her relatives were in a wreck and at that point, they may well have been closer than ambulance/fire although the call could have come after units arrived on scene. Even if units were on scene, they may potentially not have had enough or the right personnel.

The photo was taken, according to other versions of the story, as she was leaving the accident scene; the unfortunate choice of words in the posted article makes it sound like the photo was taken upon her arrival with the equipment already on scene. The photo is more consistent with departure than arrival. However, it appears the ambulance did get there before she did, manned by her "coworkers" and she did board the ambulance.
http://www.hngn.com/articles/140028...dic-leaves-wedding-help-car-crash-victims.htm
http://www.theleafchronicle.com/story/news/2015/10/12/paramedic-brides-photo-goes-viral/73824184/

It appears she basically checked in on her relatives and made sure they were being taken care of, apparently did a little assessment, but apparently did not provide treatment as far as I can tell (but probably would have if needed and might have done something we haven't heard about (remember patient privacy)), , and provided a little emotional support, then left.

And, no, she didn't pose for a photo:
"She's giving me that look, like 'Really? You're going to take my picture now?' " said Ray's mother, Marcy Martin. "It was just about the contrast — the beauty of her and then the chaos in the background."

Someone in the local govt apparently posts the picture to the facebook page, with a hyperbolic comment as a human interest PR puff piece. It goes viral on social media, then in the news.
https://www.facebook.com/mcgtn/phot...365073490647/1213571998669944/?type=3&theater
The facebook post is as follows:
How dedicated are you to your job? Sarah Ray, Paramedic with Montgomery County Emergency Medical Services, was photographed on her wedding night working a wreck! Now that's dedication...she stopped to assist on the way from the wedding to the reception! Thank you, Sarah, for loving what you do!
I have highlighted the changes
How dedicated are you to your job? Sarah Ray, Paramedic with Montgomery County Emergency Medical Services, was photographed on her wedding night working the wreck of one of her wedding guests. Now that's dedication...she stopped to assist on the way from the wedding to the reception! Thank you, Sarah, for loving what you do!
The text was edited 49 minutes after the initial posting, then about a half hour later that edit was reverted back, then a little over an hour later it was changed back to the edited version with a little better grammar.

Many of us would probably have gone to the scene, even if not trained/certified/affiliated, for a relative or friend. First aid if needed, provide medical history/medications/allergies/etc. if needed, take accident photos, secure personal property, provide emotional support, find out destination hospital, follow to hospital, get contact info from eyewitnesses, provide rides if medical transport not needed, etc.