Paramedic Associates Degree vs. EMS Paramedic Certification

Ethan22

Forum Ride Along
Howdy y'all, just a quick question. I'm currently looking into going to school to become a paramedic, and the school I am looking at offers 2 paramedic courses: Associate of Applied Science (Paramedic), and Emergency Medical Services (Paramedic Certification 2). I have been attempting to figure out the difference between the two, and so far the only difference I have found is that one costs more than the other. What are the pros/cons of getting the degree vs the certification, and vice versa? Ultimately, my goal is to go into the fire service once I finish school, so I just want to make the decision that will give me the most knowledge that I could use in the execution of my duties. Thank you for reading, and God bless!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
One will allow you to become a paramedic without a degree. The other will allow you to become a paramedic with a degree.

Typically the only difference is the AAS degree will have the paramedic program in it but will also have some requirements for general education.

Since your goal is to go the fire route an AAS in Fire Technology might be a better route.

OP
OP
E

Ethan22

Forum Ride Along
One will allow you to become a paramedic without a degree. The other will allow you to become a paramedic with a degree.

Typically the only difference is the AAS degree will have the paramedic program in it but will also have some requirements for general education.

Since your goal is to go the fire route an AAS in Fire Technology might be a better route.
I'm planning on attending the fire academy through Austin Community College to get my fire certs taken care of. I'm still wanting to go to school for paramedic so that I can do more for the people I come across whenever I do enter the fire service. It kind of feels like I'm taking a round about approach to it, but theory is workin' in my head. Also, thank you for your input!

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Howdy y'all, just a quick question. I'm currently looking into going to school to become a paramedic, and the school I am looking at offers 2 paramedic courses: Associate of Applied Science (Paramedic), and Emergency Medical Services (Paramedic Certification 2). I have been attempting to figure out the difference between the two, and so far the only difference I have found is that one costs more than the other. What are the pros/cons of getting the degree vs the certification, and vice versa? Ultimately, my goal is to go into the fire service once I finish school, so I just want to make the decision that will give me the most knowledge that I could use in the execution of my duties. Thank you for reading, and God bless!
There's an ongoing debate in EMS about the value of degrees for paramedics. Opinions I've seen range from "degrees should be required" to "degrees are worthless."

To me, the best reason to get a degree isn't that it'll help you today, but that it might help you years from now, when you can't do fire or EMS anymore or don't want to. A degree gives you options.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Plus having a degree may give you promotion points years from now when you're trying to jump from Firefighter to Engineer or even Captain at the FD (or at least make it easier to go finish a Bachelors, you'd already be there, for those promo points... depending on the specifics of how the FD you join work that out)

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I'm going to take the opposite view... take the certification. it's typically cheaper, shorter, and most jobs don't require a degree to get hired. and it's 100% focused on paramedicine, with no extra fluff. Use that P card to get a job.

then go back to school, using your agency's tuition reimbursement program, and take one of the many paramedic to degree bridge programs. then complete your bachelors. degree.