Paramedic Advantage-Medic prep course in Orange County

Hey, I'm just wondering if any of you have heard of or attended the paramedic prep course at Paramedic Advantage in Orange County. Any info would be greatly appreciated! I searched and searched these forums to no avail.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Why would you need a prep course? If you really want to prep for it, take some college courses in chemistry, anatomy, physiology, English composition, physics, etc.

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
I have taken English, Psychology, Chemistry, Anatomy,Physiology, etc. I just feel it wouldn't hurt to have some preparation before medic school. I live by the motto, "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." In other words, I just want to give myself the best chances to succeed.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Seriously....unless you are seriously academically lacking, it is probably just going to drain your bank account for little if any gain. These types of courses prey upon the slow, weak and stupid in our ranks based upon their fear.

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
You know, I was thinking that's what it would most likely be. I just wanted to see if anyone knew anything about it. Honestly, it's not about doubting myself or fear. I just want to get a good head start aside from studying myself, which I have been doing. I appreciate the realistic response though.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Seriously....unless you are seriously academically lacking, it is probably just going to drain your bank account for little if any gain. These types of courses prey upon the slow, weak and stupid in our ranks based upon their fear.

What he said.

Everyone makes medic school out to be nearly impossible. Sure it sucks because it's a huge time commitment but the difficulty isn't as bad as most make it out to be. With your college background you will be ahead of most in your class. If going to a prep course makes you feel better, then by all means do it but I'm just giving you my perspective on it. For what it's worth I currently am in medic school.

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
Thanks bud, the rational voice inside me knows these things lol. Its that anxious and nervous side that makes things a little cloudy. It's cool to have a forum like this where people can talk about these kind of things.

BF2BC EMT

Forum Crew Member
Take the prep at Saddleback college. I know nothing of paramedic advantage, only that its a lot more expensive. Taking the class at Saddleback will also allow you to begin preparing for their paramedic programme, as prep is a pre req. if you plan on working in OC you wont need to have all those other classes listed above because you wont be allowed to think that hard;)

JPINFV

Gadfly
Take the prep at Saddleback college. I know nothing of paramedic advantage, only that its a lot more expensive. Taking the class at Saddleback will also allow you to begin preparing for their paramedic programme, as prep is a pre req. if you plan on working in Southern California you wont need to have all those other classes listed above because you wont be allowed to think that hard;)

Fixed that for you.

Thinking isn't in the scope of practice for most medics in Southern California EMS.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
read the Dubin EKG book and review the protocols of where you will be working. Thats good prep work.

tacitblue

Forum Crew Member
I have taken English, Psychology, Chemistry, Anatomy,Physiology, etc. I just feel it wouldn't hurt to have some preparation before medic school. I live by the motto, "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." In other words, I just want to give myself the best chances to succeed.
If you have truly taken college-level(read: not remedial) chemistry, biology, and A&P, then you are far more prepared for paramedic school then anyone in your class that has gone through a "paramedic prep" course.

In fact, if you succeeded in college level science courses, you will find the didactic portion of paramedic school to be very easy.

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
Thank you everyone for your input. Very useful indeed!

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
I have my sights set on San Bernardino County. From my understanding, much larger scope of practice compared to LA, OC. Although it still is southern california.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Paramedic school prep course= EMT-Basic + EMT-Intermediate

MICP

Forum Crew Member
Allow me to shed some light on the Paramedic Prep.

The other college courses are a HUGE benefit when applying to and being successful in medic school, and some are even required. Many medic programs don't require prep classes. Locally however, Saddleback College, Daniel Freeman, and PTI all REQUIRE a prep to get in. The course at Paramedic Advantage is approved by these programs and meets that requirement.

The Prep at Saddleback is always full and has a petition and wait list each semester and it is only offered twice a year, and so other people need an alternative in OC and LA to get into the programs.

The Prep at Paramedic Advantage is designed to cover all of the critical and difficult concepts that will be taught in Paramedic School. It also uses computer based testing modeled after the NREMT so the students get experience with that type of testing, unparalleled to other prep classes. The student will be exposed to over 1000 paramedic level test questions.

I currently do NREMT-P tutoring for students, from local medic programs, who cannot pass NREMT-P exam because they have not been taught how to test, since all of their testing in school is Scantron without time limits, etc.

The Prep also simulates the fast-paced and self-driven requirements of our local medic programs. I have a B.S. in Biology, and have taken all of the courses mentioned, and none of them come close to matching the demand of 5 days a week, 8 hours a day learning. The Prep seeks to introduce the student to that demand by presenting lecture and homework in such a manner as to promote good time management and study habits.

One last piece of information, I have found that there is a direct correlation between the grade and success in this Prep, and the grade and success in the varying programs. For $525 and 8 days a student can have an idea of their success in the $4000-$10000 6-9 month program.

As a disclaimer, I am associated with Paramedic Advantage. Do the research, ask and call around, you will find that the information presented is accurate.

Last edited by a moderator: