Paramedic administration of vaccinations

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Within the next week or so, MA OEMS is said to announce a program that would authorize and allow for certified EMT-Ps to administer seasonal and H1N1 vaccinations, IM or IN, as trained in medic school.

What is the precedent for this? Are other states already allowing it? What are the protocols? Liability? Training? QA/QI?

I have many of the answers for MA, but will wait until they are released publicly. I am more interested in other state's policies.

Thanks,

Dan

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Nothing new...during/after the hurricanes we (paramedics) were literally giving hundreds of vaccinations a day. We had shot tents set up all over the place, it was crazy. Long lines, assembly plant style.

I currently administer vaccinations in my medic position as well.

We do flu, Hep A, Hep B, tetanus, rabies, TB testing (PPD). There is no issue with it as long as you have been trained, do a proper assessment, and watch for adverse reactions for the appropriate amount of time.

Interesting note on flu vaccines for medical providers when deciding whether or not to do IM versus IN...intra nasal flu vaccine is not recommended for health care providers due to the fact that you are now contagious for up to 21 days due to nasal shedding.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
With auth from med control, Basics, I's, and Medics can give IM/SQ vaccinations here in NM

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Currently in Ca... there has been discussion within the county to have Medics do H1N1 Vaccinations.

IMO I think that its a smart idea, but just so long as everyone is trained to look for the correct S/S.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
The CDC site that describes the H1N1 Public Health Action which includes statements from different states:

http://www2a.cdc.gov/phlp/H1N1flu.asp

Some states already have this in their statutes for public health situations. Florida dusts their statute off each time there is a major hurricane.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
vent... so nice of you to show up this evening!!!

and of course as always.... thanks for the link!!

austinmedic77

Forum Crew Member
This has been and continues to be standard practice in much of Texas. Paramedics are used more often then nurses for community health clinics for many purposes to include routine vaccine administration.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
The paramedics at the amusement park I work for administer Hep B vaccinations to the rest of the first aid staff (medics and EMT-Bs) and lifeguards annually.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
A paramedic is trained in IM and SC injections and should have no problem preforming vaccination.

I do it in a public health clinic along side RNs and medical assistants.

ah2388

Forum Lieutenant
I may be off here, but my instructor mentioned the possibility of us medic students being able to give flu vacc's coming here soon.

this is in missouri

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Paramedics are "supposed" to be trained and educated in the administration of IM injections. I do not see why they could not administer a vaccine if taught properly. We do it routinely as well.

R/r 911

VentMedic

Forum Chief
It is not just the skill of giving an IM, it is the needed paperwork and the education to the person receivig the vaccine that requires additional training. Paramedics rarely have time during emergencies to discuss the pros and cons of each medication they give and advise the patient on what to do if this or that occurs and who to call (besides 911). Patient education is a weak spot in the curriculum.

Flu vaccines are not given a trial chance as other medications are and they can come with consequences. Many states already have provisions to release those giving vaccinations from liability. MA just refined their latest Bill that addresses who gives vaccines and without fear of consequences. A few states, I believe North Dakota is one, do not allow Paramedics to give vaccines to children. Florida also went through that issue a few years ago. Right now some of our FD Paramedics are training to give flu shots. However, I believe they will still advise those under 18 to go to a peditrician or pedi clinic.

paccookie

Forum Lieutenant
I may be off here, but my instructor mentioned the possibility of us medic students being able to give flu vacc's coming here soon.

this is in missouri

I gave lots of tetanus vaccinations during ER clinicals for medic school.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I gave lots of tetanus vaccinations during ER clinicals for medic school.

In that situation you are giving the vaccine by a doctor's order. As well, the doctor and/or nurse may also have done the education part.

However, flu vaccinations are given without a doctor's order and to almost anybody that walks up. That is where a special consideration is needed for the training/education/liability of the Paramedics when it comes to giving a med (vaccine) that is not in a protocol, there is not a doctor's order and the patient has never taken this vaccine before.

Last edited by a moderator:

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
This strikes me as the sort of thing that needs to be reserved for public health emergencies. H1N1 still isn't a public health emergency, and I doubt that most communities in Massachusetts are so short on nurses that they need to resort to paramedics for vaccine administration.

Influenza, including H1N1, is usually a minor, self-limiting illness in the general population. Any additional risk caused by having paramedics administer these vaccines probably isn't worth it.

arsenicbassist

Forum Crew Member
military folks

We give every immunization, so I'm not quite sure of state laws governing it. Whether it be Flu, Anthrax, Smallpox, JE, YF, Hep A and B, ppd testing, typhoid, dTap, and all pediatrics...we administer it and some of us run the whole program, depending on location and environment.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
We give every immunization, so I'm not quite sure of state laws governing it. Whether it be Flu, Anthrax, Smallpox, JE, YF, Hep A and B, ppd testing, typhoid, dTap, and all pediatrics...we administer it and some of us run the whole program, depending on location and environment.

The military is a very different ballgame.

This strikes me as the sort of thing that needs to be reserved for public health emergencies. H1N1 still isn't a public health emergency, and I doubt that most communities in Massachusetts are so short on nurses that they need to resort to paramedics for vaccine administration.

Influenza, including H1N1, is usually a minor, self-limiting illness in the general population. Any additional risk caused by having paramedics administer these vaccines probably isn't worth it.

Did you read MA Senate Bill 2028?

http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/senate/186/st02/st02028.htm

And, did you read the link I posted earlier?

arsenicbassist

Forum Crew Member
True, but don't forget where most paramedic medicine was developed. I could expect the future to hold some good IMM's for us to use.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
True, but don't forget where most paramedic medicine was developed. I could expect the future to hold some good IMM's for us to use.

And the military has done what to develop the Paramedic in the U.S.? The field of medicine has also trialled many procedures and medications in the military which later became available for EMS.

Freedom House Ambulance probably took those concepts to heart more than any other including Miami FD and Seattle.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Did you read MA Senate Bill 2028?

http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/senate/186/st02/st02028.htm

And, did you read the link I posted earlier?

After looking at those two, my point stands. I'm not arguing that paramedics who administer H1N1 vaccine are doing so outside of their scope of practice, nor that the state isn't legally treating this as an emergency. Normal, immunocompetent adults who don't work with high-risk populations and don't have critical jobs don't really need vaccinations. There's little need to cover the entire population and correspondingly little need to use other healthcare providers to vaccinate people.
spacer.gif

That said, I can't really judge the relative risks of vaccinating everyone versus assuming that healthy people won't die or become seriously ill because they get a bit of a fever (I know cytokine storms are suspected to have killed a lot of "normal, immunocompetent adults" during the 1918 pandemic, but I haven't seen anything to suggest that that's happening this time around). I don't think VAERS has anything yet.

Sidenote: I saw a bit of a documentary the other day that ended by talking about the next emerging infectious disease that threatened to become a pandemic: H5N1. It's amusing how quickly that seems dated. Not that it's gone away, of course, but we're also not all dead from the Canada geese in our backyards.