Paper or Computer?

Paper or Computer based reports?

• Total voters

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, I'm sure it has been discussed before on here, but to let all the new people in on it and to allow for changes that have taken place since then, I'll ask.

How do you do your reports? Paper based or computer based? How are they submitted? Online, by mail, by hand, some other way?

The poll is just covering report types, paper or computer.

At my service, we are currently still doing paper reports but we are just starting to switch over to the Image-Trend Field Bridge program.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Paper submitted by hand.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Almost all EMS agencies will be going to paperless within a few years or will have someone enter the required NEMSIS information. Most have adopted to the National EMS Information System or face the consequence of loosing Federal funding.

Our state has mandated that NEMSIS information and as well State information be placed into either per PCR or paper type system that will have to be entered manually by someone into the e-pcr.

R/r 911

JPINFV

Gadfly
Ambulance: Paper
Waterpark: Paper report that got retyped into Word with both being submitted.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
I've used both depending on where I am working. I started with paper PCRs and then used computer, and then back to paper... and true be told, I prefer paper... so that is how I voted since I use both.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Both stations I am with use EMStat. I haven't personally used it, because I'm not an EMT yet. I have heard people complain about it, but I don't know if that is just the "paperwork" aspect of the job or the actual program. I have seen it being used and I can say it does seem very thorough if nothing else.

Vicious

Forum Probie
I'm such a techno junkie that I definitely would rather submit things by computer. Anyways going "green" by not using paper as much helps the environment too.

Hockey

Quackers
The one county I work full time in is now all computer. Each company has a different program. There is about 3 different programs.

The one we use the fields are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TINY ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY. YOU HAVE TO SQUINT TO REALLY SEE

The other agency I work with uses the more common computer report. Not bad.

Sometimes I do wish I could use the paper format though

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
my company has been using computers for 3 or 4 years now. We use zoll rescue net or something like that. It's super easy to use after a week or two. We submit our reports as soon as we close out the call.Sending the call to dispatch immediatly after you are done with your PCR has saved my *** majorly once. With the computer the run report is faxed to the EDs as soon as it is sent to dispatch and the company like it because they can bill the call immediatly. The only paper I've ever written on in BLS is my notepad.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
lightsandsirens5

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow. I never would have guessed that more people use paper than computer. I guess it is not a far along as some would have you beleive.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Wow. I never would have guessed that more people use paper than computer. I guess it is not a far along as some would have you beleive.

Yeah, it will be amazing upon how services will be changing so fast and not preparing their employees for changes and all the frantics that will be following... again; typical EMS .

R/r 911

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
re

Out here in the sticks weve been using computer generated PCR's since 1998 and we sure do miss the original program. The garbage programs Norcal EMS keeps pushing sucks arse. Tons of errors and much to my dismay there is a character limit in the narrative portion. Most dont find a problem with it, but i hate using check boxes and would rather do my ROS in the narrative.

Oh and there delivered by hand since the frickin lawyers behind HIPPA have everybody so paranoid the refuse to recieve them any other way.

Hazmat91180

Forum Probie
Yeah, it will be amazing upon how services will be changing so fast and not preparing their employees for changes and all the frantics that will be following... again; typical EMS .

R/r 911

I am going through this RIGHT NOW. We went to tablet PCs on the rigs and are using firehouse mobile ePCR, and the speed in which it was rolled out didn't work at all for our department and now we are back to paper, and guess who is heading up the Tablet Committee to get these back on our rigs working properly?

I would love to here any insights on anyone using Firehouse with the Integration of Firehouse Mobile ePCR. Feel free to PM me as well, I would like to pick some people's brains on the implementation.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
We started using computers about two years ago. I think the program is Medusa. We have Toughbook laptops in the trucks and an automatic wireless submission as we input our info. We have a printer or two at every hosp ER to print out our reports. It took some getting used to but not bad once you've got the hang of it.

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief

Apparently, the county I work in is insisting on a particular set up, whose cost is quite high to implement, and the company doesn't want to use that set up, so, supposedly, they're holding out for the county to pay for it, since they're being so picky. Or, something like that. But, yes, I can see quite a few of my coworkers going batty trying to learn how to use the system when we finally get it. For now, we're still on paper.

vquintessence

Forum Captain
Apparently, the county I work in is insisting on a particular set up, whose cost is quite high to implement, and the company doesn't want to use that set up, so, supposedly, they're holding out for the county to pay for it, since they're being so picky. Or, something like that. But, yes, I can see quite a few of my coworkers going batty trying to learn how to use the system when we finally get it. For now, we're still on paper.

I'm sure there is a commonality within that group of employees? ESP!

Experienced (more specific to years served than knowledge) Street Providers.

mar7967

Forum Crew Member
I was going to start a new thread on this, but found this one instead. Has anything changed for you?

I work at two different agencies. Both use Electronics Patient Care Reports as required by either NY State or the region we are in. Both places us EMScharts which I like a lot (although I have never used anything else so I can't compare). Both places have laptops on the ambulances to enable us to work on charts while in the ambulance with the patient (for stable patients) or on the way back from the hospital. Does anyone else use this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sassafras

Forum Captain
We have toughbooks with my volunteer unit, but desk tops with the paid unit. Both companies use the same program format, but the thing I've noticed is IT has to manually input most things like signs and symptoms. We get pain but not childbirth. Apparently people don't give birth up here LOL. Slowly we are finding what's missing from the program and informing IT to add it, but really, I sometimes wonder why they don't automatically include all of the information before it's released for purchase.