Page turner time

hyperlyeman1

Forum Probie
How do we as EMS providers feel about increasing tax on cigarettes (prop 29 in cali) in order to fund research on smoking?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I'm a non voter but if I did vote on it I would say vote yes. Even if the money didn't go to cancer research I would still vote yes.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Voted no. The last thing California needs is both more taxes and tax money leaving the state.

OP
OP
hyperlyeman1

hyperlyeman1

Forum Probie
Im a no guy on this one. Why should we support research for smoking related diseases when the cure is to not smoke?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Im a no guy on this one. Why should we support research for smoking related diseases when the cure is to not smoke?

Because most of the diseases aren't just specific to smoking. A1 antitrypsinase deficiency will also cause emphysema similar to smoking. Small cell and squamous cell carcinoma of the lungs can develop without smoking.

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
Why do we need more research on smoking? We already know that 1) It makes your breath (and everything else) smell bad, 2) it yellows your teeth, and 3) it eventually kills you.

I'm a libertarian, I think they should apply a tax on cigarettes which is directly linked to the cost that smokers have on health care. (Remember I'm Canadian.) That would actually be significantly less than what the Canadian taxes on cigarettes are now.

Aside from that, if you want to buy cigarettes and kill yourself, go ahead. Thins out the gene pool, and keeps thousands of people in the health care field (including hopefully myself) employed.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Because most of the diseases aren't just specific to smoking. A1 antitrypsinase deficiency will also cause emphysema similar to smoking. Small cell and squamous cell carcinoma of the lungs can develop without smoking.

Wasn't the statement you quoted asking about SMOKING related diseases? Not sure how any of the items you listed are directly related to smoking...

If those diseases are studied on their own, fine...but to lump them in under "smoking related diseases" is no go.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Wasn't the statement you quoted asking about SMOKING related diseases? Not sure how any of the items you listed are directly related to smoking...

If those diseases are studied on their own, fine...but to lump them in under "smoking related diseases" is no go.

Emphysema and small cell and squamous cell lung cancer is traditionally associated with smoking as that is where the vast majority of patients with those diseases gets them.