P - MD/DO/PA???

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Hey everyone,
So I know many of us have thought about this, just wondering how many people are doing this, and what has the easiest transition from Paramedic to higher level of care. I am not saying which has the easiest schools or anything like that. Thanks Everyone

Angel

Paramedic
i dont understand what youre asking. you have to go to school. not like being an emt will allow you to just move/promote up. get good grades, get a degree, apply.
the requirements are very easy to find online.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
i dont understand what youre asking. you have to go to school. not like being an emt will allow you to just move/promote up. get good grades, get a degree, apply.
the requirements are very easy to find online.

I this the OP is asking which career have people found to be the easiest to go into from being a paramedic.

JPINFV

Gadfly
There are plenty of EMTs turned PAs. There are plenty of EMTs turned physicians. I doubt that there are very many EMTs turned PA turned physician.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I this the OP is asking which career have people found to be the easiest to go into from being a paramedic.
I think so as well. I would say that paramedics typically transition to PA or RN if they stay in medicine but leave paramedicine. As to which one offers the easier transition, I would have to say that it really depends upon the individual. Some people do well with the PA route, some people do well with the RN route. It's just very individual.

And to dovetail with @JPINFV , EMT's and paramedics also transition to physician. The "EMT" or the "paramedic" part of the equation really doesn't mean a whole lot... it's whether the individual wanting to transition to something else gets the appropriate education to complete the process as all of those have their prerequisites for entry to their respective schools.

samiam

Amazing Member
At some point (maybe it already happened?) they were going to make the PA program 4 years instead of 2 dosent make sense to me but you know. In that case seems like the most "easy" transition would be RN. Everything builds on one another but you have to remember that you are still going to have to review and "re learn" everything. It is helpful to have some background and could put you at a little bit of an advantage at least in the beginning if you have taken some similar courses before like anatomy. For example I took an anatomy course before medical school and it was sort of useful to have some introduction and knowledge but then they opened the hydrant and it only hel

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
At some point (maybe it already happened?) they were going to make the PA program 4 years instead of 2 dosent make sense to me but you know. In that case seems like the most "easy" transition would be RN. Everything builds on one another but you have to remember that you are still going to have to review and "re learn" everything. It is helpful to have some background and could put you at a little bit of an advantage at least in the beginning if you have taken some similar courses before like anatomy. For example I took an anatomy course before medical school and it was sort of useful to have some introduction and knowledge but then they opened the hydrant and it only hel

PA school is still 2 years and don't see it going to 4. Mine as well just go to med school in that case. PA's are mid-level providers, and learn a ton in those 2 years. As far as going from an EMTP to PA or MD, you will need to go to school and get a bachelors like everyone else and apply if you me the requirements. If you are asking what is easier, then there is really no answer. PA school is referred to drinking water out of a fire house with the amount of material that is thrown at you in a short time. Med school is med school and has its own set of challenges.

samiam

Amazing Member
PA school is referred to drinking water out of a fire house with the amount of material that is thrown at you in a short time. Med school is med school and has its own set of challenges.
The quote that I commonly get about med is putting your face in front of a fire hydrant and being expected not to spill any water. lol then again i guess people dont realize they are not always pressurized.

JPINFV

Gadfly
drink_from_the_firehose.jpg

OP
OP
EMT11KDL

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
I am talking about mindset for treatment of patient care. Not talking about the schooling it self, more with the back ground of paramedicine, which option aligns with the thought process that "We" paramedics have. This question is more for the providers that have furthered their education, and with there experience at the higher level now, with the option that they chose, do they feel that that was the best choice or would that rather have gone a different route.

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
MSs, DOs and PAs all practice medicine. All examine, assess, prescribe and make plans. The exception is level of autonomy. If you want to go to school for 7 years and be the boss then go to medical school. If you don't mind having some restrictions on your practice and want to start working in 2 years, go to PA school.

Paramedicine doesn't really instill any different "thought process" that is useful in the medical field beyond an interest in science and evidence based practices. The majority of physicians out there went straight from undergrad.

Angel

Paramedic
Ive noticed a lot of "people" mostly former medics, wish they had just gone for MD instead of PA (due to restrictions and MDs get paid twice as much and have the better schedules contrary to popular belief). On the other hand, some will tell you MDs say the same (wish they had gone to PA school)
so it depends.

OP
OP
EMT11KDL

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks, I have talked to some of my providers around here, but none of them have worked EMS. and most of them say that I should go to the schooling that they went to, but I dont think there is any bias there :p