Oxygen key question

igeekedyou

Forum Probie
Does anyone know what the size of the hole is on an oxygen key. I'm trying to make my own but can't find the size.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
No idea. Why do you want to make one? Do they no supply them where you work?

OP
OP
I

igeekedyou

Forum Probie
They do but a couple times i was on the rig I couldn't find one, and I got this blunt nose pocket knife and figured why not just machine a key hole into it. Just in case, I like being prepared:)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
You could trace the outline of the peg onto your knife. Just a thought. Wonder what it'll do to the structural integrity of the knife though. Doubt it'd be a big deal but who knows

You could always grab one from the supply room and carry it in your pocket. I used to carry one in my pocket but now it hangs out in my airway bag and there's one hidden in the spare tank holder in my ambulance that only I know about. :D

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
OP
OP
I

igeekedyou

Forum Probie
Thanks for the suggestions, I have a drill press and everything to do it. I just wanted to get it done before work in a couple days. Thought it was a cool idea. And I have the perfect spot for it on my knife to where it won't mess with the strength of the knife. I guess I'll wait until I go into work next.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Do you fix your own defibrillator too?:eek:

Ever notice that O2 wrenches are nonsparking materials like aluminum, brass or plastic?

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks for the suggestions, I have a drill press and everything to do it. I just wanted to get it done before work in a couple days. Thought it was a cool idea. And I have the perfect spot for it on my knife to where it won't mess with the strength of the knife. I guess I'll wait until I go into work next.

You have a rectangular drill bit?

That sir is impressive.

OP
OP
I

igeekedyou

Forum Probie
Hardy har har, dang last time I try something fun hahaha jk if I can I'll post picks whenever I get it done:)

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant

Metro EMS News

Forum Crew Member
If you happen to use a Ford Type 2 ambulance, there is a trick to using the rear door brackets which have a small cut out - niched just like the O2 bottle. You can insert the top of the O2 bottle in the niche and open/close the bottle. Hey, it came in handy a couple of times when finding a key in the dark was the more difficult option.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Why don't you just tie the wrench to the regulator. Problem solved.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I just make sure to only have these type of tanks on my ambulance.

ebu8a5yb.jpg

Plus each ambulance here has an O2 wrench or two in our response bag. And 3-4 wrenches hanging on a hook at the back of the ambulance.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
Side note, real men use their teeth.

NYMedic828

Forum Deputy Chief
This is a joke! I treated a medic who didn't know better when someone told him this. Quite a bit of bleeding, and two chipped teeth.

Gotta appreciate our educational standards that a guy that dumb would make it through...