Overtime?

Garrett Miller

Forum Ride Along
Hi guys, bit of a newbie question here.I'm finishing up my EMT cert in Aug and am going to start applying in the Inland Empire, Orange County area of CA and was wondering if OT or extra shifts after difficult to come by as an EMT? The stuggle is real....thanks for the help!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It’s all going to depend on the specific company. For AMR in the IE there is usually a decent amount of OT for EMTs and much more for medics.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
as previously stated, it all depends. sometimes OT is plentiful, while other times it's scarce. some companies have all their FTEs full, so with no one on vacation, there is none other than special events. some also require you to be fully cleared and off probation before you can pick up OT.

Biggest take away: OT can be nice, but it is never guaranteed, and if you are looking at picking up all the OT you can get when you first start out, I'm going to tell you that is a tried and true way to get quickly burnt out and find yourself unhappy in your career.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Alternatively, consider getting a second job if that is a possibility. Your shifts won't be getting paid at an OT rate but you'll likely have more access to hours. And you get to spend less time at the same place.

OP
OP
G

Garrett Miller

Forum Ride Along
Thanks Tigger. I expected not to get OT rate, and thats fine..ive worked two jobs before and i hated working for two companies at the same time. I'd actually rather be in the same place lol. Thanks for the response though! I think ill just take what i can get and just be happy im working.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I'm working some OT this week, at a rate of $38.65 an hour. I can be persuaded to work for that.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Like others have said, it varies. Sometimes it is by company or season. I started off work as an EMT for a BLS IFT company, and they did everything they could possible to make sure you were never paid overtime. People badly wanted overtime. I went to another IFT company since they offered daily overtime, they were the IFT division for the 911 in our area, and they offered to put me on CCT right away. That second company was always short staffed, you could pick up as many shifts as you want for overtime, and they always held you over. When I went to my first 911 job as an EMT, it was for a small/slow system, and I rarely got held over or overtime. When I became a paramedic, I went to a large busy system that was bleeding for staff. They offered overtime and double time like crazy. I went to another large busy system, and they were hurting even more for staff. Even though my pay is $31.74/hour working 10 hours four times a week, I am held over almost every single shift. I thankfully work weekends so I don't get mandated (for double pay) to come in on my days off, but they have when things get crazy like flu seasons or California fires. I once got mandated twice in the same week, so I worked 6 days in a row.... I was so angry. The government took most of that money, so my checks weren't too amazing.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
At the end of every job I you'll be asked "Do you have any questions?"

It's never good to say no. Always come preloaded with something.

A great one to ask is "Is there opportunity for overtime?" It shows interest in the organization, while also appealing to managements insatiable need to fill open shifts.

Also, it'll answer your question regarding extra income.