Other jobs/sidework

NoahW5394

Forum Probie
It seems like most EMT's and firefighters have one (or two +) "other jobs". I have noticed that cops tend to work security on the side, I'm curious weather folks on here have side jobs in the medical field or something totally different. What else do you do for $$ (or fun, or because you have so much free time:D or whatever other reasons there are)?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I teach aha or naemt classes. And I run a photography business

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I work for some guys that do events. Here lately, I basically watch polo matches for a few hours and get some studying done until its over.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
For me EMS is my side gig :D(well soon to be side gig). I currently work in L.E as a parole officer though noah. My uncle was a firefighter(NYFD) and refilled vending machines as a side gig(surprisingly made dam near 20$/hr doing it)

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I work a weekend shift, usually as a fill in for a supervisor. It's pretty easy for me. I tell them when I can work, they schedule me.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Im going to be the same mentality as DEmedic here, where i am ems is in a drought for some reason, i tell them i can work Saturday and Sunday or w/e and they work with me. just make sure when u work 2 jobs you don't spread yourself too thin and burnout too fast. :)

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Along with working full-time on the ambulance, I teach, help run a training and consulting business, and may be tacking on flight medic soon (fingers crossed).

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
How does it work with scheduling? I've wondered about having a full time job while working EMS, seems like most emt's work 24 hour shifts tho
It would actually be pretty easy. I only have to work 2 days per month.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't do a ton of side work. OT is readily available where I am and we don't have mandatory call-in so especially during the summer I can always pick up some extra shifts to supplement. I teach First/Aid, CPR, FR/EMR on the side, but it is so casual it might as well be a hobby.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
I work a weekend shift, usually as a fill in for a supervisor. It's pretty easy for me. I tell them when I can work, they schedule me.
Im going to be the same mentality as DEmedic here, where i am ems is in a drought for some reason, i tell them i can work Saturday and Sunday or w/e and they work with me. just make sure when u work 2 jobs you don't spread yourself too thin and burnout too fast. :)
It would actually be pretty easy. I only have to work 2 days per month.
The per diem life is pretty good.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I work for the other service in our county that is slower and the nearby city AMR operation so I can remember how good I have it/be a better provider.

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
I'm a college student, and its pretty difficult to find time to get scheduled at my ems job during the school year. But im only taking one class this summer, so I picked up temporary a gig working in a warehouse.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
I work FT fire medic in a slower system (~4 calls / 24hr) and PT transport medic in a busy urban EMS system (6+ transports / 12hr) on the side. I pick up 1 or two transport shifts each week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
4 calls in 24? Holy **** I'm jealous o_O
Currently sitting at one on this 24...

We switch every set between the slow substation (here) and the main station which does 6 or 7 usually.

Or since it's summer it's more, how you say volatile.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
My last 24 had 5 calls with 4 transports....great shift, great station, on the hill on the peninsula offered great views

JORDAN89

Forum Probie
you can apply at a local hospital as a tech or 911 dispatch or adjunct insturtor... good luck!