OSHSA regs for number of hours worked in a row for Basics

jediwill

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys I tried searching to see if this topic had been covered but my phone browser is a douche so please dont think im being lazy and not looking first.Ok heres the deal...my company currently limits a Basic to a max of 48 hours at a time and then they have to be off for 12 hours.The rumor is that they are about to limit us to only 24 hours at a time because it violates some sort of OSHA regulation which doesnt make sense because the limit doesnt apply to paramedics. I just wanted to ask if any of you know if OSHA has a limit for the number of hours a basic can work.Just wanting to know if this is bravo sierra or legit.Just worried because this company pays like crap but ive been able to work good OT so its helped mitigate the low pay.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Why would OSHA regulate EMTs and not paramedics? I think you answered your own question.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Repeatedly, studies have shown that shifts beyond 8 hrs (at least as far as nursing goes) are attended by higher rates of accidents and mistakes, per the California Nursing Association.
The question is why anyone, including medical residents, is required to work 24 hr shifts?

OP
OP
J

jediwill

Forum Crew Member
I cant speak for why but I know at what they are paying me I wouldnt be able to support my family without working extra.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
Why would OSHA regulate EMTs and not paramedics? I think you answered your own question.

Cause even OSHA knows most companies have their protocols set up that almost everything is ALS and EMT's just drive?

:D

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Cause even OSHA knows most companies have their protocols set up that almost everything is ALS and EMT's just drive?

:D

If I were dead tired and unable to safely work, it would be better I attend a patient than drive. In the back, I can potentially kill one person. Driving sloppily, I can do waaayyy more damage.

Rialaigh

Forum Asst. Chief
One area company frequently has employees work 72's if they want the overtime, they also average 5 calls per 24 hour shift....so yeah, 10 hours of sleep most nights...

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
You find OSHA will offer up best practice standards for hazmat operations in EMS, but not so much about hours worked.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
you know, OHSA has a phone number. you can probably call them and ask them your question. ditto the department of labor (both federal and state).

btw, if you are working 48 hours, how much sleep and downtime are you getting? if you are busy, how sharp are your assessment skills after hour 20? after hour 36? are you really going to be able to safely carry down that 250lb CPAP patient while maintaining focus?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
you know, OHSA has a phone number. you can probably call them and ask them your question. ditto the department of labor (both federal and state).

btw, if you are working 48 hours, how much sleep and downtime are you getting? if you are busy, how sharp are your assessment skills after hour 20? after hour 36? are you really going to be able to safely carry down that 250lb CPAP patient while maintaining focus?

Usually quite a bit of sleep. I don't usually run many more than four transports per 24 hour shift and work a 48 at least once a month without incident. I have enough downtime to sleep when I need to and we have no policies preventing crews from resting if they feel the need. We are permitted to work 60 hours straight.

It's not quite as slow as the numbers make it out to be though when your transport distance for anything remotely serious is at least 25 miles. Last week I had a call that round trip totaled 88 miles, but I think I stay far sharper doing a few of those a day compared to knocking out call after call after call.

12+ hour shifts are not for every system but they work just fine for us and allow us to staff two to three ALS ambulances in a place where we would be unable to attract paramedics for shorter shifts. Many rural communities must provide 24s or 48s to keep the commute down as their staff often commutes well over an hour to work from more urban areas.

Incidentally we have routinely won our agency insurance carrier's agency of the year, which I think says something.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Its not so much an OSHA issue as it is a safety issue

My company works 12/24's and I do two 24 hour shifts a week. I can honestly say there are times that in a 24 hour shift my downtime is limited or I have brief periods of downtime.. Sometimes 2 hours max. Is my skill just as sharp after being up and down periodically throught the shift by hour 20. Probably not. But there are 24 hour shifts where I haven't even turned a wheel. Its luck of the draw. 24 hours is a long shift no matter how you look at it. and I know for myself I don't sleep as well at work as I do at home. I have to keep a ear out for the house alarm or the pager.. So as I'm rested I'm not rested.

OP
OP
J

jediwill

Forum Crew Member
Im doing a 48 right now and almost at the halfway mark and we have had like 4 calls...I sleep every chance I get.I have sleep apnea but I bring my CPAP to work so when I sleep its really good sleep.But like the poster said earlier sometimes its luck of the draw and we get slammed.I compensate by getting extra sleep at home and usually sleep alot during the day when I get to work.Ill check on the number for OSHA...thanks for the info.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey guys I tried searching to see if this topic had been covered but my phone browser is a douche so please dont think im being lazy and not looking first.Ok heres the deal...my company currently limits a Basic to a max of 48 hours at a time and then they have to be off for 12 hours.The rumor is that they are about to limit us to only 24 hours at a time because it violates some sort of OSHA regulation which doesnt make sense because the limit doesnt apply to paramedics. I just wanted to ask if any of you know if OSHA has a limit for the number of hours a basic can work.Just wanting to know if this is bravo sierra or legit.Just worried because this company pays like crap but ive been able to work good OT so its helped mitigate the low pay.

Doubtful this is an OSHA issue as much as it is a Department of Labor issue.

In fact, "there is not a specific OSHA Standard for extended or unusual work shifts."

We work 36's without running afoul of any laws, rules, or regulations.