Opinion on Age

sbp7993

Forum Crew Member
I'm 16 years old, and got my EMT license 2 weeks after my 16th birthday. I volunteer with three ambulance corps, and some people look down upon me because of my age. What is your opinion on a 16 year old (or other young people) being an EMT?

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
Act professionally, work hard, study frequently and ignore their :censored::censored::censored::censored:. Its a good time to start learning how to deal with horse:censored::censored::censored::censored: joking that seems to accompany EMS. Don't be timid, but stay in your place. Watch 'Gran Torino'

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm 16 years old, and got my EMT license 2 weeks after my 16th birthday. I volunteer with three ambulance corps, and some people look down upon me because of my age. What is your opinion on a 16 year old (or other young people) being an EMT?

Not my choice for a responder but what the heck, you'll last longer than me!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Personally I don't think anyone under 18 should be certified (You're not licensed, you are certified as an EMT). And most private services don't hire anyone under 21, so usually it's a moot point

OP
OP
S

sbp7993

Forum Crew Member
Personally I don't think anyone under 18 should be certified (You're not licensed, you are certified as an EMT). And most private services don't hire anyone under 21, so usually it's a moot point

I don't understand how I'm not licensed. I have a card that says I'm licensed.

OP
OP
S

sbp7993

Forum Crew Member
Act professionally, work hard, study frequently and ignore their :censored::censored::censored::censored:. Its a good time to start learning how to deal with horse:censored::censored::censored::censored: joking that seems to accompany EMS. Don't be timid, but stay in your place. Watch 'Gran Torino'

Thank you, that's my take on it :)

dudemanguy

Forum Lieutenant
I think the age should be at least 18, I think thats what it is in most states, what state are you in? Are you NREMT certified?

I can think of no sensible reason why they would allow someone under 18 to be an EMT, or even attend an EMT course. But hey, lots of things about EMS education and certification make no sense to me.

As for people looking down on you, its nothing personal. They simply feel the way we do about the age requirement, and when you are older you will most likely feel the same way.

Also you have to look at it from the patients perspective. If you are having a life or death emergency, do you want doogie howser working on you?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I don't understand how I'm not licensed. I have a card that says I'm licensed.

I'm assuming you are from a state like PA, since east coast seems to be one of the few places I've noticed that lets minors become certified. Using their website as an example, you will be hard pressed to find the word 'license' anywhere.

And if you are NR, you are not licensed, but certified through them (although IIRC NR doesn't certify anyone below 18).

And that takes out most of my argument. In terms of states, they are almost the same, but license usually implies an actual education. Certification can be vocational. TX is a good example of this for their medics

OP
OP
S

sbp7993

Forum Crew Member
I'm assuming you are from a state like PA, since east coast seems to be one of the few places I've noticed that lets minors become certified. Using their website as an example, you will be hard pressed to find the word 'license' anywhere.

And if you are NR, you are not licensed, but certified through them (although IIRC NR doesn't certify anyone below 18).

And that takes out most of my argument. In terms of states, they are almost the same, but license usually implies an actual education. Certification can be vocational. TX is a good example of this for their medics

That's the thing, you cannot be NREMT certified until age 18. I am state licensed. Most states require you to be 18 to be an EMT, but some states allow you to be 16. I went through the same classes as everyone else when I was 15. I had to do the same practicals, and take the NREMT test, the only difference is that I got my state card, and I get my NREMT card mailed to me when I'm 18.

I can fully function as the EMT in a two person crew. I just am not allowed to spend the night there, or work later than 12 am during the weekdays.

dudemanguy

Forum Lieutenant
You have actually worked on an ambulance doing 911 calls in which it was just you and one other EMT? What state is this?

I find this amazing.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
As long as it meets the states age requirements, I'm not against it. Here in Texas, the minimum is 18 to be any of the 4 levels of EMS credential.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
As long as it meets the states age requirements, I'm not against it. Here in Texas, the minimum is 18 to be any of the 4 levels of EMS credential.

Same here. As long as the 16 yo is mature enough, let 'em at it. I know plenty of 16 year olds who are more mature than lots of 25 and 30 year olds. It totally depends on the person.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
You have a lot to prove, not just because of your age, but because of your shiny new card. You need to be on time, show up with a clean uniform and decent looking footwear. You need to be that person who is first out the door to wash the rigs, check out the spare unit(s), and do the food run. You're not the station slave, but initiative and enthusiasm will carry you far. Keep your mouth closed and your ears open. When you do have something to say, you don't need to use expletives to get your point across; keep the gutter language where it belongs. Believe me, it doesn't impress people nearly as much as you think it does. Acceptance will come slowly, but it will come. Wait for it and don't expect a thing. Most importantly, you're 16; leave time for all the good things that go with being your age and don't spend every waking moment at the station. Best of luck...

ZVNEMT

Forum Lieutenant
I don't have too much of a problem seeing a 16 y/o working ems. obviously not as a driver, but i see no harm in allowing a young adult to do non-emergent transport. maybe occasionally throw them a bone and let them run a 911 with 2 other medics to keep their interest.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Anyone who has personal objections with you being an EMT needs to look down upon your state and not you. You are well within your states EMS standards. So If anyone gives you any guff tell them to take it up with the state. I would then mention the fact that there are 17 year olds fighting a war right now. I know because I have done both at both ages.

I started EMS when I was around your age. You can not be an EMT until your 18 in my state, but I joined an EMS explorer program, got my first responder and started observing on ride alongs. I would encourage you to do the same as a volunteer EMT. Learn from the guys who are willing to share there experience with you. Be eager to learn and willing to learn diffrent methods or ideas of doing things from others.

In a way you have a huge advantage right now by getting a head start on experience. If you find you like EMS you could easily be a Paramedic with atleast an AAS before your old enough to drink if you want. If you burn out on it mid career you still have a ton of time to retrain and change careers. I am 28 now and I have only been a medic 18 months, but I have been an EMT for close to 8 years. My only regret was wasting so much time as an EMT and not getting my medic sooner.

PS: some states do licence there Paramedics and use that term instead of certification (unsure about EMT's) and it does not always mean higher education. It really is a state to state choice. California for example is a prime example of less education but gives out a licence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
And here I am worried about starting at the age of fifty. Fortunately my mortgage is paid and I have a descent savings account. I still have that med card thing to worry about(blood pressure) but I digress. I salute any young person of 16 years that has already found a passion and has made the steps to carry through.

Good for you...

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I went through EMT class before I turned 18, so I've been there myself.

My thoughts now are that in the US someone under 18 years of age isn't considered responsible enough to be an adult and take care of themselves. Given that, I don't think anyone under the age of 18 should be able to be certified or licensed in any field where they are responsible for the safety and well being of other people. Be it EMT, CNA, FF, police officer, etc.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
You have actually worked on an ambulance doing 911 calls in which it was just you and one other EMT? What state is this?

I find this amazing.
New Jersey and Pennsylvania let 16 year olds on the ambulance, and New York lets 16 year old first responders on the ambulance as well. Not all that hard to comprehend.

Maryland lets 16 year olds get certified as firefighter and enter burning buildings. talk about amazing.

Trayos

Forum Lieutenant
New Jersey and Pennsylvania let 16 year olds on the ambulance, and New York lets 16 year old first responders on the ambulance as well. Not all that hard to comprehend.

Maryland lets 16 year olds get certified as firefighter and enter burning buildings. talk about amazing.
They also follow the two in-two out rule with a fervor, junior FF do not get paired up with other junior FF in a situation.

emtstudent04

Forum Lieutenant
Im not going to lie i dont think being 16y/o is really an appropriate age to be in care for patients. Im sure there are those mature 16y/o but i just can't see a 16y/o putting in an appropriate care for a patient. The things you see and the people who you deal with i dont think a 16y/o could handle. I can just see a patient who is in there 70's looking at a 16y/o being like your way to young to be taking care of me, but i guess at the sametime some elderly PT's would be like your doing a good thing we need more people like you. I dont know to me most companies it would be a huge maturity factor and insurance liability.