OPA by EMR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scruit

Forum Probie
I'm reading through chapter 6 in my EMR training book to prep for my class tonight. Chapter 6 covers Airway Management.

They give instructions on using both an oropharyngeal airway (OPA?) and a nasopharyngeal airway.

From lurking here I've seen some threads where people say EMT-Bs were not allowed to use an OPA. EMR Scope of Practice includes airway adjuncts like OPAs. So those EMT-Bs that are not allowed to use them - is that a local protocol from your medical director? What would be the reason for not allowing them?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It may be a local protocol thing. For example, King County Washington EMTs may not use an NPA. They only airway adjunct allowed is an OPA.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
Our local scope allows EMRs to use OPAs and NPAs. I used both as an EMR.

Our EMT-Bs have advanced airway (King and Combi) variances too.

My local scope of practice allows me to utilize OPA's and NPA's.

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
It will be up to the local state provisions and your medical director

I never took EMR I went straight to EMT. but I know EMR's here can use OPA or nasal to do airway skills.

In some states Combi-Tubes or King LT's are applicable by protocol. My state is not one of them.

EMT B

Forum Captain
in maine i can use opa and npa

the service i work for here in west virginia uses npas and combis. no opa because if you can get an opa in you can use a combi. i dont necessarily agree with that cause if i can properly manage someone with an opa it is so much less work to drop an opa than it is to drop a combi

kirky kirk

RN, EMT-B
EMTs supervises EMRs when using adjuncts (OPA and NPA). Well, here at least. ^_^

FirstResponderCAD

Forum Ride Along
In my area, the use of OPAs and NPAs are definitely within the scope of practice of an EMR working in the context of an organization (fire department, ambulance service, event first response providers, etc). I teach an EMR-level course and we instruct our students on the basics of airway management which does include the use of OPAs and NPAs. As for more advanced airway management devices, we give a basic description of the main ones used and how we alter our protocols if a more advanced healthcare provider decides to use them with us assisting. I know that for most of the organizations I've volunteered with, there are more advanced practitioners signing off on protocols in a committee setting.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
With the last set of protocols that I looked at for my area EMR was able to do OPA but not NPA. I haven't looked recently as we don't use EMRs.

codethree

Forum Crew Member
Opa

Here in Oregon I am allowed to use an OPA, NPA, King, and Combi with out asking for permissiom from medical director.

Av8or007

Forum Lieutenant
Not that this matters for the OP but up here in Ontario our advanced medical first responders / emt-b's (same thing up here, basic paramedic is a 2 year college program - only paramedics can work on an ambulance) we can do all of the EMT Basic scope of practice without any medical direction whatsoever. This includes oxygen, oral and nasal airways, BVM spinal immobilization and other assessment skills.

Although not carried by most BLS services, since King LT (or other supraglottic) airways are not considered a medically controlled act, anyone who is been trained to use the devices (generally medics and some mfr's) can do so off duty with no medical direction if absolutely required for airway management.

Last edited by a moderator:

dC0m

Forum Crew Member
Here in Oregon I am allowed to use an OPA, NPA, King, and Combi with out asking for permissiom from medical director.

Just out of curiosity, what part of Oregon are you from? And is King, Combi part of your state protocols or just where you're from?

AussieParamedicMan

Forum Ride Along
For what its worth,

Our Certificate IV Health Care (Ambulance) (EMT-B), use LMA, NPA, OPA & i-gels.

Our Certificate II, Medical First Responders use OPA & NPA.

(Please note, I have commented on this thread so my posts are over 5 so I can start posting links etc.)

Good Luck :D

Perth - Western Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.