Online Applications and checking status

PewPew

Forum Probie
Besides applying to big companies like AMR/RM, is it safe to apply online to smaller companies where there's little to no information about these companies?

Does anyone feel comfortable scanning their cert documents, driver's license, etc. and submitting them online? Especially when they ask for your social security number/personal information? Some of the websites aren't even https secured and I'm worried about identify theft/fraud.

I haven't applied to any positions online yet (only in person so far), but I plan on applying to companies located around where my parents live (3 hours away), so if I can get a job over there, I can move back in with my parents if need be. It would be a lot more convenient if I can apply online though, saves time and $. So what does this community think about applying for a job online to smaller, not well known companies?

Another question = when calling the company you applied to, how would you ask for the status of my application without sounding annoying and desperate? Is calling them every 2 weeks on the status of my application excessive?

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I would be cautious about submitting my information on a website that wasn't secured. Many companies use a third-party to process their applications. I would have no issue with that, but the simple HTML "fill-in the blank" application is a bit worrisome.

As far as calling to check on the status of your application, after a week or two it is certainly appropriate. Call and ask to speak to the HR or hiring manager. It's as simple as being polite and professional. "Hello. I submitted my application online approximately 10 days ago. I'm just calling to check on the status of that application." The hiring person will probably say, "yeah we got it."At that point, it's entirely appropriate to ask about the hiring procedure. "Could you tell me how long the typical application process takes?" Anything you want to ask is fair game at that point. It's also good to mention something like, "I submitted all of my certs, but may I send you any further information or material to help you with the decision-making process?"

Polite, calm and non-desperate sounding is the key. Don't make the mistake of saying something like, "I really need the job, or they are going to repossess my car!"

Good luck with the job hunt.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I can't really speak for the safety of applying online, though as n7 said just a straight fill in the blank webpage might raise my eyebrows.

If you can print an application, consider mailing it to the company? That way they at least have to open it and see what it is. That's what I did when I was applying from out of state, and then I would call a week later.

It is certainly appropriate to call and check the status of your application. I would call everyday until I actually spoke to someone, my boss freely admits to being horrendous at checking her voicemail. Don't take no response as a no, keep at it until they say they are not hiring at this time. Most companies receive a lot of applications as there are lots of EMTs out there looking for work. Simply applying is not enough, you need to set yourself apart and show that you actively want the job.

OP
OP
P

PewPew

Forum Probie
Thanks n7 and tigger for those good sample questions and advice. I'll definitely use them since i had a hard time coming up with good questions to ask.

very good idea about mailing too. simple and old fashion, yet never thought about that

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Besides applying to big companies like AMR/RM, is it safe to apply online to smaller companies where there's little to no information about these companies?

Does anyone feel comfortable scanning their cert documents, driver's license, etc. and submitting them online? Especially when they ask for your social security number/personal information? Some of the websites aren't even https secured and I'm worried about identify theft/fraud.

I haven't applied to any positions online yet (only in person so far), but I plan on applying to companies located around where my parents live (3 hours away), so if I can get a job over there, I can move back in with my parents if need be. It would be a lot more convenient if I can apply online though, saves time and $. So what does this community think about applying for a job online to smaller, not well known companies?

Another question = when calling the company you applied to, how would you ask for the status of my application without sounding annoying and desperate? Is calling them every 2 weeks on the status of my application excessive?

I'm with tigger and n7... With one addition... I have no problem scanning certification documents.. But won't fill out my ssn online... Only in person.