Old Guy, But New EMT-B

Simusid

Forum Captain
I just passed my EMT-B written! I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone else how good that feels. I think I'm kind of a demographic outlier when I look at the other students. Probably half the class was under 25 and almost everyone else was definitely under 35. I'm 47.

I just put in my app to be a volunteer (oh there's that red-flag word, sorry everyone!) at our local service and I should be riding a few shifts per month pretty soon.

I'd love to hear from any other "old farts" who are just starting out. Our service awards 3 medic scholarships each year. Several people have asked me if I will be trying for that next and I said "no way, I'm too old!" I didn't expect to be saying that for a few more years!

Sasha

Forum Chief
Welcome to the forum!

You are as old as you feel, it is never too late to further your education. I know a 50 year old EMT who just started nursing school!

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
Well, I'm not an "old fart," but I was 27ish before I started in the field.

The only guaranteed old dude here I can think of is RidRyder, but he's pretty new to the field and isn't really the best resource for information.

Now that I've called down that particular bit of thunder, I can tell you the truth that Rid will probably be your best resource as an older (some would say "elderly") individual in the field, even if he's not new. He's been doing for more years than most of us have been alive.

Welcome to the forum, wipe your feet on your way in, coats go on the bed in the spare room. As Sasha said, don't be complacent and stop at Basic, as most services will pay for some of your schooling to higher levels of training. If you think being a Basic is rewarding (and you will), you will absolutely love doing ALS. Well, except for when the patient defecates, urinates, bleeds, vomits, or otherwise oozes on you. But that's bound to happen as EMT-B too, so you might as well be poking them with needles while they do it.

Jon Hus

Forum Ride Along
Hi Simusid,

I'm 3 weeks into EMT-B classes, sort of doing the same as you, I intend to run a few shifts/month as a volunteer and also QRS calls with the fire department. I'm past 50 years old and probably the oldest in my class but there are a few students close to my age. This endevor came about as I'm also a volunteer firefighter and have quite a bit of ff certs and rescue (vehicle and swiftwater), HazMat, on and on. I may take a week next summer at the fire academy to complete the rescue CORE class/cert, (proboards) which is a prereq for advanced rescue in things like structure collapse and farm machinery rescue. If I persue this, having EMT will take a lot of the stress out of it as I would not have to do any of the medical or patient packaging for CORE.

The focus for me right now is to do the best I can and get the best possible grade in the class. After class is completed I'm unsure of what route I will take but for now I want to run calls and get a reputation locally for being a good solid EMT. I don't want the crew to groan when they find out I'm on the crew with them.

Simusid, do you have any kind of update information?

Take care,
Jon

Archymomma

Forum Crew Member
Hi, I will be starting orientation for first EMT-B job the day after I turn 44. B)
I originally got my EMT-B about 8 yrs ago and did a little with it - but moved and then nothing. Went back and took the class again at the beginning of the year.

In my class there were 3 of us who were in 40's and 1 who was in his 50's. So there are others out there just starting out.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Welcome to the forum!

You are as old as you feel, it is never too late to further your education. I know a 50 year old EMT who just started nursing school!
And I've met a couple people in their late 40's/early 50's that were starting Medical School. They still felt young though...

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
I just passed my EMT-B written! I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone else how good that feels. I think I'm kind of a demographic outlier when I look at the other students. Probably half the class was under 25 and almost everyone else was definitely under 35. I'm 47.

I just put in my app to be a volunteer (oh there's that red-flag word, sorry everyone!) at our local service and I should be riding a few shifts per month pretty soon.

I'd love to hear from any other "old farts" who are just starting out. Our service awards 3 medic scholarships each year. Several people have asked me if I will be trying for that next and I said "no way, I'm too old!" I didn't expect to be saying that for a few more years!

Step one:

Check your pulse and make sure it's not higher than your patient's. Disregard for bradycardic patients.

;)

Good luck, and as stated before, you're never too old to learn.

fiddlesticks

Forum Crew Member
There were a few older ppl in my class and they get along fine. i think its great that your doing a job that you like:)

EMTecBOB

Forum Probie
I have come to depend on old age and cunning...I used to play airsoft with my kids at the local field....I was known as that sneaky old :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:. :p

Hmmmm.....as for the censored part?...lets just say they accused my parents of never being married.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
when i worked for an Ocean Rescue agency, we had a recruit try out(and get hired).he was 65. had a career in the military, this was his choice "retirement job" and some of my bosses are 50+ and they could pass for late 30's early 40's

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I'm just past mid Fifties but I don't swing from ropes anymore.

What I try to do at this moment in my career is threefold:
1. Use my experience for good, usually by educating, restraining or goading my cohorts and occasionally finding a patient with a real and not feigned malady.
2. Cajoling, threatening and helping prepare them for my departure.
3. Get out of nursing/EMS except where my mental, not physical or clinical, assets cna be put to use for a little moolah.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Very, very cool, Gentlemen!

I suspect you may enjoy this more than anything you've ever done. You've gained experience outside of the "bubble" of the culture, therefore, have already integrated a broader perspective into your lives. Therefore, you'll probably experience the work on a lot of different, and satisfying levels!

This work is amongst the world's richest human experiences!

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
Age is a number. Don't let it stand in your way. I started on this path 8 1/2 years ago at age 43. No regrets. Best job I've ever had.

mcgrubbs

Forum Crew Member
My partner in my Basic class is a 48yr old guy. Retired from Mil-was a medic there. Did 8yrs in the local, busy ER as an Ortho Tech. Volly FF/FR for years now.

He's a wealth of knowledge for me but has the maturity that 90% of my classmates lack. Great study partner, debater/thinker, etc.

Onceamedic

Forum Asst. Chief
EMS is my version of the Walmart Greeter job. I spent 20 years in the corporate world and retired at 45. I became an EMT at 47 and turned 50 in my last semester of the paramedic program. I have a few observations for you.

I was worried that at my advanced age (?) I would not do well with the didactic portion - memorizing stuff is not fun. To rectify that, I arranged my life to allow me to dedicate all my time and focus to the program and then I worked my butt off. Result - 4.0 GPA

I did not think I would get a job because who wants a 50 year old newbie. Result - have been running 911 since 3 months after graduation and now have about 1200 calls under my belt as the medic in charge.

I was worried that I could not physically keep up with the kids. To rectify that, I work my tail off in the gym and can kick the crap outta most of them if need be. I can certainly run circles around them, am always the first in the rig and can outlift all of the women and 2/3s of the men.

I was worried that I would not "fit in" and would be an outsider in the group of youngsters. Result - the best friend I have ever had is 22 years old and I have relationships on the job better than any professional relationships of my life.

Are you getting the picture? The one thing I am really happy about is that I didn't discover EMS when I was younger. I would never have made any money.......B)

Beulah19

Forum Ride Along
Well, I'm a new member here, and have been an EMT-B since June. I'm 64. Reflexes aren't as good as they used to be,and the amplified stethoscope is a big help. But it can be done, no problem.

I'm a volunteer in Southern Colorado. We're not very busy, but at 30-40 minutes from town better we are here than not. Age is not the determining factor in whether or not you add value.

CollegeBoy

Forum Lieutenant
Now I have the opposite problem: I'm still in high school, so alot of the more experienced folks originally over looked what I saw in a patient. I had a medic tell me, in front of the patient, that I was going nuts:

I was trying to take a pulse on a patient (no electronics for the trainee :sad:) and every time thought I had it, it would disapear. No no, I was told by the medic, "I've had her as a patient before she has a really strong pulse." I pull out a blood pressure cuff and I take her BP it came out to be something around 200 over 160 or some crazily high number. I was told that was wrong because the FD took it just 2 minutes earlier and it was normal then. I get fed up and tell him if you don't believe me take it yourself I know its right. While the medic is taking the BP, I finally crack and hook this lady up to a three lead. As I go to plug it in, the medic tells me, "Maybee you might be right." I hit the switch on the monitor, sure enough the patient was randomly jumping in and out of V-tach.

The moral of the story is that because you are younger or older don't let it discourage you. You might catch something that even the experienced don't catch. Age is no big deal in EMS I can guarentee that all of you are probably in better spot than quite a few EMTs out there.