Official Volunteer EMT

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
I got the volunteer position! I am actually very excited about it! Volunteering and comminity service has always been incredibly important to me and volunteer EMS is a dying art- maybe this is the way to go. That will keep me busy while waiting for the paying job, eh?

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
thumb-up.png
It's a start.

EMT2015

Forum Captain
Who are you volunteering with?

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

Thank you guys. I think I am more excited about this than getting a paycheck. Makes it seem more "right" you know?

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

Methinks you'll change your mind when you get your first paycheck...There's something very "right" about finding something you enjoy doing and do well while someone else pays you to do it[emoji3]
I have been inbolved with many. Volunteer organizations the past 10 years. I grew up in a family who works in a on-profit, and my minor for my BA was Non Profit Administration ;)

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

*involved

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Many of us who do/did this for a living take a dim view of volunteer EMS. Volunteer ALS is especially bad (thanks Maryland!)

The idea of volunteer life safety departments is an idea who time has passed.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

I live in an excrutiatingly sparse and poor state. a lot of areas- volunteer is all they have.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I live in an excrutiatingly sparse and poor state. a lot of areas- volunteer is all they have.

Sigh...this old standby again. In all fairness it has been a few months since someone has used it.

Do they have volunteer police?
Do they have volunteer road repair crews?
Do they have volunteer animal services?
So on and so on....

If it was a valued service it would be funded and paid for by a government entity. Volunteerism in EMS does nothing for our profession as a whole and only undermines our credibility as anything other than a red headed step child.