Off Duty Skills

PAstudent

Forum Ride Along
Hi guys,

I'm currently an EMT-B student with my test approaching this spring. My friend was looking at the bags on galls and I thought of a question. In Pennsylvania, what can basics do off duty skill wise? Can we insert oral and nasal airways? Can we use a BVM? Can we help with nitro and epis? I think I heard someone say no glucose....

I'm just wondering what I'll be able to due when im not working.

Thanks

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
First, save your money and place that into more classes. You should had been taught, what your legal implications are.... generally, you are nothing more off duty, than a 1'st responder and can use equipment that a 1'st responder can use.

Now, carrying a bag and even stopping is a personal issue discussed here multiple times. ....

R/r 911

OP
OP
P

PAstudent

Forum Ride Along
Thanks. I wasn't planning on spending a ton of money on it.

As far as classes, I've already looked in to taking PHTLS and PEPP along with some various extrication classes, I'm pretty young and have a ton of time to learn. (Still in high school.) The main reason I took the class, in the beginning, was to put it on my application to Governors school for Health Care at Pitt, but the more I do the more interested in the field I become. I've been reading a lot on this site and find the information very useful. I even did an internship at the ER last night....(well...more of the form of me having a distal fibula fracture and going for x-rays, but that just doesn't sound quite as good.)

As far as learning the legal aspects, we did discuss the fact that we were not required to stop if we weren't advertising the fact of being in EMS. He said it was a personal decision but did not go into what skills we would be able to use if we did in fact decide to stop.

Anyway, thanks again for the information, I can't wait to get my certification and hope to make a difference like all of you.

Last edited by a moderator:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
You have the old school folks (wise) who says a bic pen, a pair of gloves, and a rubber band is enough, and then you have the whackers (me) that went out and bought the Galls BLS bag when I got my EMT license. Personally I think it was one of the better investments I've made, but when you show up to work and your BLS rig carries the same... then you know you need to get out more.

It's realy all about your personal choice. I went for the $140ish BLS bag, and I know many others that have the same. Some have more, some have less, some have none. I last used it for an ace bandage last week, and the week before for removing a splinter. A few weeks before I got a bee sting, and a couple days ago I gave the eye wash to a teacher friend. I use it a lot, while others don't. It's really your call.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Welcome!

What part of PA are you from?

In PA, on or off duty, we are ALL restricted to the state BLS protocols. Up until this month, we couldn't give oral glucose, because some bonehead forgot to put it in the first edition of the protocols. 11/1/06 was the official date of the new protocols, with the NEW CPR standards, etc.

Do you currently run with a volunteer Co? Where are you looking at working (Tranport, Paid 911, or vollie)???

Jon
Chester County, PA

jeepmedic

Forum Captain
Take up Golf.

trauma1534

Forum Captain
It's all going to depend on your state guidelines. Here in VA, in our area, if you are a member of a volunteer oganization, you can respong and perform to your level of training, if you are operating under the area of your OMD. Personally, and I don't mean to sound cold hearted, but I've been doing this for 12 years now, and I no longer volunteer. In most cases, I try not to get caught up in responding to scenes off duty. It just gets to a point of no longer wanting to put yourself out there for a possable call gone bad with a pending lawsuit and there goes my lively hood that I've worked so hard at. I don't always go by that. If I am really feeling froggy, I might stop to remder aid at a MVC, but most of the time, I ride by, look and keep getting it. Now, if I am around some of my old fellow providers and something worth running comes out, I might consider running it, just to be able to run with my old friends again. Not very often we all can get on the same scene together. But, in most cases, when I call comes out and I'm off duty, too bad. I just forget that I'm an EMS provider for the duration of that call! You make your own decision according to state and local guidelines though. I say, keep going though.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Don't know about PA, but in Calif., we were taught there was no difference on-duty or off-duty other than duty to act while on-duty. You must, though, follow county protocols of wherever you are, even if you're just driving through that county. So if you can check sugar in the county you work at, you might not be able to check it if there's a driver passed out on your way home in the next county, and vice-versa.

I'll slow down for vehicle accidents to get a good look to try to make sure no one is "down" or has anything immediately life-threatening, otherwise I usually keep driving. I don't want to be there just holding a gauze to someone's leg for 10 minutes.

As for other medical emergencies that develop, I'll take it case by case. If there's no one else to help out or I see someone doing something that will endanger the patient, I'll step in. I haven't yet identified myself as an EMT, though, because I don't want any issues or liability. I just get involved as a random passerbyer, not as a responding off-duty EMT.

FFEMT1764

Devil's Advocate
Here responding off duty is a no no, however the exception being that since I am also on the VFD I can perform skills once the ambulance gets on scene, and only if they really need me to, otherwise I save my energy for my next shift. Of course working for the county that I vollie in makes life lots easier. When I am off I am that fireman, when I am working I am that Paramedic.

Fedmedic

Forum Lieutenant
I agree with Ridryder, spend your money on more classes. Then all you will need in your bag is IV fluids and Jelcos to start on yourself and your friends. No better hangover helper than a couple of liters of NS.

Pablo the Pirate

Forum Crew Member
here in the great frozen state of MN it's the law you have a duty of act even when off duty. that doesnt mean you have to stop and render aid just make sure that the system has been activated. simple 911 covers your arse...or thats what i understood when we went through it. anyhow my service after you put in a certain amount of time gives you a small FR bag. it has like 4x4, multitruama dressing, stethoscope and bp cuff, gloves, and other general simple procedure stuff. i think it might have a tube of gulctose in it too. thats all i have in my car and i've never used it for anything other than stupid pidily crap.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
You must, though, follow county protocols of wherever you are, even if you're just driving through that county.

That is one of many things that I HATE about California. The county-by-county bullcrap causes more problems than it solves.

UGH! We run into that kind of stuff all the time. "Oh, crap, this is San Mateo county. They're gonna give us spider straps, and when we use them in Santa Clara county, FD is going to look at us like we have just grown a third eyeball."

But statewide, I think you're right. Unless you're a -P, then you can only act as a -B while responding off-duty. Something like that.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
That is one of many things that I HATE about California. The county-by-county bullcrap causes more problems than it solves.

UGH! We run into that kind of stuff all the time. "Oh, crap, this is San Mateo county. They're gonna give us spider straps, and when we use them in Santa Clara county, FD is going to look at us like we have just grown a third eyeball."

But statewide, I think you're right. Unless you're a -P, then you can only act as a -B while responding off-duty. Something like that.
Some counties specify Spider Straps?

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Some counties specify Spider Straps?

I'm not sure if it's in their protocol, but every single rig out of San Mateo County that we've restocked from has carried nothing but spider straps. So we end up with a pile of the things, and when we use them in *this* county (rarely happens, but it has..) the arriving crew looks at us and says "Where'd you guys find THESE bloody things?" Usually I respond with "We ran out of duct tape."

Ours say "3 x 9 foot webbed belt or equiv." for a BLS Non-Transport agency. That's us. So we always have at least that many, and thanks to that other county, we also have a pile of spider straps. Brand new, in the packaging. :)

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Yeah, I didn't even know what a spider strap was until I rode with SFFD (FF_EMT, I'm learning our EMT class was inadequate on a lot of topics...). And then I went to LA and they just use this 3 belt system. Basically 3 seatbelts...not of that secure San Jose FD style we were taught. They're really not immobilized that well...

eggshen

Forum Lieutenant
Spend some time doing this for a living and you will not want for a moment to consider doing it off duty. You spend your $ going to school further so you will not have to do this at all.

Egg

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
Yeah, I didn't even know what a spider strap was until I rode with SFFD (FF_EMT, I'm learning our EMT class was inadequate on a lot of topics...). And then I went to LA and they just use this 3 belt system. Basically 3 seatbelts...not of that secure San Jose FD style we were taught. They're really not immobilized that well...

I have a great time with the Santa Clara County method. It's quick, easy, works well... and is different than what AMR uses here in the same county! I love how Fire & AMR have two different methods. heh.

PM me with a list of what you thought was inadequate. :) I thought everything was pretty good, and it certainly spurred me to read up more on my own. I think that the class is a good starting point.