% of people who get training but not licensed

Mzcr

Forum Probie
From my Basic class of 35, I'm only aware of one other person who has followed through and gotten licensed. I can think of 4 or 5 others who I expect to but since I'm not in contact with them, I don't know if they have or not. I do know that of the 20 or so I know about, only two others have gotten licensed..

Is this typical? The class was 14 credits..why all the effort not to use it?

There are a few that are applying to nursing or PA school and were using it to boost their application but the majority weren't.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It is hard to actually give a number of those that complete the program but never obtain the certification/license. I would predict about 10-20% never attempt the process. More interesting I have read that up to 75% never enter the workforce. This means there is a lot of card carrying members that beef up the numbers and skews the shortage to increase raises and demands for increasing work benefits.

It is too easy to become an EMT. How much screening was performed? Does one enter food service after taking a nutrition class? Again, EMT is really just above first aid.

For example there is 4,850 EMT's in my state alone. That does not sound bad but there is only 192 EMS services and I can assure you that each service does not have 10-20 employees. So where do these people go?

I do doubt that most enter the fire service (even though that is sole purpose for many) and I do doubt that many attempt to enter medical school or another health professions. Many find out it maybe more a hindrance than a help.

Even look from the posters that come here. Examine the ones that decribe passing their test and we never hear from them or those exclaim entering an EMT course and that was the last we hear of. I believe that most soon find out that it is definitely not what they had predicted or become aware of real EMS is like.

R/r 911

Last edited by a moderator:

SeeNoMore

Old and Crappy
I wonder if that 75 percent includes volunteer EMTs? There is no question that getting a job is not easy, but on the other hand, why would an Ambulance service want to take just anyone that comes along? I know some people in my class regarded EMT primarily as a career move and planned to do Transport and not 911.

For my part, having been given a taste of EMS, all I want to do is work as much as possible, and get as much education as possible. But that means a lot of work, and I think if you are not passionate it may not seem worth it. I am working a minimum wage job 20 hours a week and 36 on a volunteer rescue squad. I am going to go into some epic debt for Paramedic school etc.

Not that Im complaining, Im very excited about it.

OP
OP
M

Mzcr

Forum Probie
Yeah, sorry about that..my post didn't make much sense. I originally only thought of one other student, but then realized that I knew a second one and didn't go back and change it. Got drink coffee *before* posting.

I've got a firefighter friend who took First Responder the same time I was doing Basic and he's had the same experience..only about 25% even took (or at least passed) the NR exam.

You can say the education requirement for Basic is minor, but its still a lot of time and money to waste..I wouldn't have done it if I didn't plan on using it. Surprises me how many people don't.

OP
OP
M

Mzcr

Forum Probie
Btw..I keep seeing 120 or 140 hours as the standard for Basics..here its right around 260 hours classroom plus 72 hours clinicals. Still not a huge amount, maybe, but like I said, a lot of time to waste.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
14 credits for EMT-Basic? Whoa...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Not sure what you mean by that.

He means most basic classes worth college credits are usually only worth about half that... At least I think that's what he means

Cory

Forum Captain
Wow, I have to be hoest this is really surprising to me. I have a lot of friends I email, and I know one was going into the police academy. But he took his EMT-B class just to take it, but I know he was certified.

I can't imagine going all the way trhough and not getting certified. I really can't imagne not going into a service. Here in my hometown(well, the large city BY my hometowm) the fire department isn't hiring new employees for a year or two because of money problems, so I could see why some poepl would hold off on going into work as an EMT here, but in general it seems like a waste of time.

But maybe this surprises me because EMS is my dream, and I guess that isn't true for a lot of people who take the class.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Btw..I keep seeing 120 or 140 hours as the standard for Basics..here its right around 260 hours classroom plus 72 hours clinicals. Still not a huge amount, maybe, but like I said, a lot of time to waste.

This is getting closer to what should be!

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I can't imagine going all the way trhough and not getting certified.

One can get certified by the NREMT but do not have to get a certification or license from their state. Even some healthcare professionals such as RNs or RRTs might take an EMT(P) class to get the NREMT but may not be required to hold the license since their primary license will be the one they will work under. It just shows they did some type of prehospital training. I also know new parents or those who work in various community activies with large numbers of people that take the course with no intention of taking it to a state certification/license level. There are also many industries such as logging and coal mining that have their own "EMT" classes for the benefit of their job but not to work on an ambulance. Some coal mine states also have specialty EMT classes as a state certification. You would be amazed how many in various industries have 2 - 3x more education and training then the regular EMT but will never work on an ambulance.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
RR - you forget that EMT's are also picked up at hospitals. I happen to know that theres about 30 actives at our one hospital alone. we also have 3 others in our county. So just because theyre not on a rig, or engine doesnt mean that there not working in some way or another.There's Sheriff/CHP, SAR, Red Cross (though they're very minimal with medical aid), Disaster Healthcare workers (County and State), Voulenteer orginizations... and even theme park EMT's and Paramedics. (Yes! Six Flags and Disneyland hire EMT's and Medics)! I even talked to a new member of our County MRC and he stated that he worked at Renaissance Faire's.

I'm a prime example. I work under a reserve corp for our county. It's completely volunteer based, but we keep up all our certs, licensee, and training up to date. Just a few days ago we had a refresher on START triage and Helicopter safety. Just because EMT's might not be on a Rig or Engine, doesn't mean that there's no place for them!

just my two cents!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
RR - you forget that EMT's are also picked up at hospitals. I happen to know that theres about 30 actives at our one hospital alone. we also have 3 others in our county. So just because theyre not on a rig, or engine doesnt mean that there not working in some way or another.There's Sheriff/CHP, SAR, Red Cross (though they're very minimal with medical aid), Disaster Healthcare workers (County and State), Voulenteer orginizations... and even theme park EMT's and Paramedics. (Yes! Six Flags and Disneyland hire EMT's and Medics)! I even talked to a new member of our County MRC and he stated that he worked at Renaissance Faire's.

I'm a prime example. I work under a reserve corp for our county. It's completely volunteer based, but we keep up all our certs, licensee, and training up to date. Just a few days ago we had a refresher on START triage and Helicopter safety. Just because EMT's might not be on a Rig or Engine, doesn't mean that there's no place for them!

just my two cents!

I included them although, I would not consider them as primary EMS. They maybe first aid for special events and division of care for another agency.

Never said there was no place, just the curriculum and cert/license is not designed for that type of industry. Another cert other than EMS should be designed, but to re-register at an advanced level one has to provide documentation demonstrating that they are functioning at that level and providing care at that level to continue.

R/r 911

medic417

The Truth Provider
How many states actually license rather than give certification?

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Ca licences... but only by county - as do most because of different standing orders.

In SB, Basics literally can do nothing.... as in PO glucose and aspirin. no nitro, they got rid of activated charcoal... and yeah... its all BASIC

FFMckenzie

Forum Probie
I included them although, I would not consider them as primary EMS. They maybe first aid for special events and division of care for another agency.

Never said there was no place, just the curriculum and cert/license is not designed for that type of industry. Another cert other than EMS should be designed, but to re-register at an advanced level one has to provide documentation demonstrating that they are functioning at that level and providing care at that level to continue.

R/r 911

Or the entire seasonal "wildland" firefighter force in california (Cal-Fire) are EMT-B or better.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
It is hard to actually give a number of those that complete the program but never obtain the certification/license.
R/r 911

Shouldn't be that hard in NREMT states. The NR gets sent a list of those who complete it.

Just match that list up to those who attempt / pass, and there ya go.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Shouldn't be that hard in NREMT states. The NR gets sent a list of those who complete it.

Just match that list up to those who attempt / pass, and there ya go.

Actually they don't. They only receive those that want to take the test as even in my state it is up to the student to contact the NREMT themselves and inquire to take the test (they are given a number per the State Health Dept). It is not a list from a class roster that is turned into the NREMT, rather permission per student to allow to take the test or not. Instructor/Coordinators are given a code number usually through their license agency or the NREMT themselves after the proper paperwork has been turned in.

To reduce paperwork we are considering eliminating the beginning roster and final roster, which shows how many drop out, etc. With reduction in the State's staff it is just another bureaucratic piece of paperwork one has to fill out. In reality, does it really matter how many start and how many end up? Yes, for studies it might be nice but in the reality of it all we expect up to half to drop out of a EMT program. Now those that graduate and then to see how many pass their license exam is different matter.

R/r911