NYC Paramedic VS Law Enforcement? help!

Tactical1

Forum Ride Along
Hey guys, first time poster here...really need some advice from the Medics and/or any Law Enforcement officers on this forum.

I am currently a NYC EMT, I am thinking about taking the 10 month medic course but i am also currently in the hiring process for both NYC Corrections and NYS Court Officer. At this point I have NO idea which to go for, I really enjoy my time as an EMT, working outside, it was and is fun for me.

The issue is NYC Corrections pays alot more, and has excellent benefits. ..but I am unsure if I want to trade up the street life for the jail life lol.

NYS Courts have a great schedule, a 9-5 job with weekends and hoildays off..however OT is almost mon existent. ...

Confused right now as to what profession to persue, should I go for Medic or switch to the Law Enforcement side ?? This delimma has me stressed out...I like EMS so far, but I understand law enforcement may have better opportunities with pay etc etc....

help! Advice? Thoughts? Opinions?

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
Apply to all of them and see which one you get hired on first. From what I understand, NYC civil service positions have an incredibly long wait time.

OP
OP
T

Tactical1

Forum Ride Along
[QUOTEis "MonkeyArrow, post: 616562, member: 23037"]Apply to all of them and see which one you get hired on first. From what I understand, NYC civil service positions have an incredibly long wait time.[/QUOTE]

this is very true. Ths wait is extremely long in most cases (about 2+ years). However ive already done my waiting and have almost completed the hiring process for both jobs...I predict I'll be hired within the coming months from Corrections AND Courts.

is Paramedic a hood enough field to persue over law enforcement jobs?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
[QUOTEis "MonkeyArrow, post: 616562, member: 23037"]is Paramedic a hood enough field to persue over law enforcement jobs?
We can't really answer that for you. Only you would know if you'd be happier doing one or the other. You can certainly make a decent living off of being a paramedic (though I don't know how it is in NY specifically). Whether or not it's comparable to your other options, I don't know. You also may be miserable with one and not the other. I'd rather be happy and make a little less than miserable with a little more.

I'm not saying paramedic is the better choice. You have to decide for yourself which one is better for you.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
In NYC, you don't hear of many corrections officers or court officers leaving their jobs to become paramedics.

In NYC, you hear of many paramedics leaving their jobs for other career fields, including corrections and law enforcement.

Infer whatever you want.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
First, go where your heart tells you. No amount of money is worth it if you are not happy doing your job. If you decide to go LEO, there are plenty of vollies around the NYC area that you can still do EMS

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
I couldn't imagine working for the corrections dept, since you're essentially spending all day (or night) in prison. Yeah, you may have a bit more freedom than the inmates, but you're still standing around in the most depressing environment this country has to offer, surrounded by people you should either pity or fear.

Surf40

Forum Probie
I'm in California, but I've spent the last 6 years in law enforcement, with experience in the jail, courts, and patrol. Here, the Sheriff's Department covers the courts, jails, and certain contract cities for patrol services. So with the Sheriff's Department you have the ability to do all three. I worked for the Sheriff's Department and smaller police departments. I currently have my EMT license and I'm getting out of law enforcement to pursue a career as a firefighter paramedic. Big risk, but law enforcement wasn't worth it for me anymore.

Anyways, between courts and corrections, they're very different. Yes courts is a nice schedule, weekends and holidays off, and is great if you have a family. A lot of people that went that route did it for the family life. That being said, it's boring. Very boring and you won't get much personal satisfaction out of it IMO.

Corrections can be interesting, but I didn't like it either. Better than courts but not as good as patrol. It can be pretty dangerous, as inmates greatly outnumber officers. I'd recommend trying to get a tour of the facility and see how you like it. I like to be outside and sitting inside the jail wasn't my cup of tea.

If you can get on with a department that does patrol, I'd say that'd be much better than both corrections and courts. Outside, more flexibility, better job duties, etc.

Between all those law enforcement positions and EMS, well, they're completely different. You really need to do some soul searching to figure out what it is that you want to do. Law enforcement isn't something you get into to just try out and see if you like it. If you're not 110% into the job, then either get out, or in your case, don't get in. Not being completely committed will get yourself, your partner, or someone else killed. Also, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, just get into a job for money. Not just law enforcement, but any job. If you want to shy away from EMS because it's not ENOUGH money, that's fine, but don't pick a job just because it pays well.

Do some ride alongs, do some tours, and do some soul searching. Figure out whether you want to be law enforcement or EMS. Once you have decided that, then you can decide which specific avenue (courts/corrections, EMT/Paramedic, etc.) that you want to pursue. If you're in EMS now and like it, I'd suggest pursuing that - law enforcement is a whole different beast.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
sorry for the late response here, i work in NYS(not city) as a Parole officer, now thats obviously different then correctional officer. However, a few things to remember: In law enforcement there is more room for improvement (IN MY EYES) then there is in EMS. As a corrections officer, your going to have stress every single day, and mostly have ****ty schedules.. If you want to go into LE i would advise becoming specialized something-- state level(parole, prob. state trooper) federal level( agent of technology(Just an example) or field agent). It is really hard to "survive" as a corrections officer well above 60% of them drop working in a prison. Moving on to your question of doing both... What i would recommend in all honest is Becoming an EMT or AEMT, working that part time, and continuing into law enforcement. IF you want yo know more about exact perks and benefits that a parole officer receives feel free to contact me a bit more privately and i'll be glad to help you out. Or if you have questions of parole/prob interests you. the medics on this website may be able to give a more definite answer but in my eyes ems goes as follows.. EMT--->AEMT---> paramedic--> flight medic--> rn(if one so chooses). just in parole(what i am most familiar with) you have P.O.T( trainee) --->parole officer ---->S.P.O1--->S.P.O2---> assistant Bureau chief--> Bureau chief, then you move on to county ranks and so on and so forth. However, the pathway i am finding most LEO's are taking(myself included) is work for the state for 5 years, then attempt a move to the federal gov't. But, i will tell you, as a fact, law enforcement is not just catching bad guys, we have tons of paperwork, classes(CEUS equivalent), and much more. This is just my take though. like i said if you have questions dont hesitate to ask

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Whether you want to be a cop or a medic is up to you. I thought I wanted to be cop and got hired on to my local pd. I was in patrol for 3 years before I left. I hated it, it was more BS than EMS is. It wasn't what I wanted and I liked the medicine far more.

Also, I would never in 1 million years go into corrections. I know a few COs and the line them and inmates is thin. It's seems to be a miserable life.

This is a very personal choice, talk to cops and get an idea of what you'd be getting yourself into